Sponsored

If you have the manual S550, remove the clutch spring. Instructions linked

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I finally did this tonight. Took me 2 minutes, was a bit of a PITA as the spring wasn't easy to push away and you need to press the clutch down with one arm while contorting with the other! I used my swiss army key chain and did it in the underground parking lot before driving the car home from work. Instructions:

http://www.stangtv.com/project-5-li...g-clutch-pedal-spring-removal-in-two-minutes/

I'll say this, I've driven manual cars for 16 years continuously, and greatly enjoy the control you get and the mechanical feel. The Stangs shifter feels great to me and very precise, but even after 4+ months of owning this car and 1400 miles, I just couldn't get it to be smooth when I'm trying to power out from a stop or change gears in a hurry/bang though them. After thinking about it, I heeded the advice of many members here and removed the clutch spring.

OMG, its seriously the most drastic mod I could imagine. The clutch effort maybe went up 10-20%, but its SO MUCH easier to modulate and is linear. I drove the car for 50 miles without a single jerky shift and the power transitions dialed in perfectly, I feel much more in control now of the car than before and can easily manage the engagement points/slip the clutch.
:D
Do it. The clutch feels great now. Ford should just remove those springs, what were they thinking!
Sponsored

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...

Sponsored

Iceman2733

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
I have been meaning to do this mod. Is there any truth to this could cause premature clutch wear or other issues? All I have ever owned is Manual cars and this is one car I agree I can not get a smooth shift on.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
Wow wow wow...just removed the spring 20 minutes ago and went for a drive.

No exaggeration....shifting is instantly smoother.

Like everyone else who has problems with the helper spring in there, I thought I was losing my mind/skill as I could no longer consistently do a 1-2 shift smoothly...didn't matter if I was putting around or aggressively driving.

Clutch effort is a little heavier, but the linear feel is perfection again.

Coming from an 03/04 cobra, I thought I had forgotten how to shift...it was that damn helper spring to blame.

If anyone out there is having any doubts removing the helper spring, just do it. Removing it is nothing short of a GOD SEND!!!

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
This is my first manual car ever...500 miles in...I've started to kind of get use to the clutch, but I can't pinpoint the engagement straight from muscle memory, only from letting it out smoothly. Shifts from 1-2 suck, 3 is okay. I'm really tempted to try this, seems like 99% of people thinks its better

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I don't know that I'm brave enough to spend an hour in traffic with a heavier pedal effort...

sanchezcruz_20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Driven a manual most of my life but recently traded in my Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (auto) for the Stang and assumed I was just suffering from lack of recent practice.

Excited to try this mod.

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
The clutch feel being heavier is miniscule. Once you get used to it, (which isn't going to be very long) you won't even notice the spring is gone. The engagement improvement alone is worth popping the spring out.

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
This is my first manual car ever...500 miles in...I've started to kind of get use to the clutch, but I can't pinpoint the engagement straight from muscle memory, only from letting it out smoothly. Shifts from 1-2 suck, 3 is okay. I'm really tempted to try this, seems like 99% of people thinks its better
I finally joined the crowd and took it out. A few months ago everyone was talking about it and I tried it after having my car for 2 months. I didn't see the advantage and it was definitely stiffer...put the spring back in after 2 hours.

So here it is 4 months later and I realize as I'm driving around these days that yes, shifting smooth on this sucker in normal drive mode takes effort sometimes.

Shifting fast when flooring it is not bad but normal driving you have to think about it too much. I found that if I shift quickly from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd while rpm's are low that the transition was fairly smooth. But shifting at low rpms didn't fell natural to me.

About a week ago I decided to try this out again, and now after being used to driving it around for 4 months with the spring in I instantly felt the advantage. Yes it's a little stiff but shifting is MUCH better and like everyone says you can really feel what's going on and control the engagement so much better.
So I took mine out and it's not going back in.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
The clutch feel being heavier is miniscule. Once you get used to it, (which isn't going to be very long) you won't even notice the spring is gone. The engagement improvement alone is worth popping the spring out.
100% agree. The engagement is now completely predictable.

FWIW, it only took me a 10 minute drive to get accustomed to the engagement. Because the engagement is now easy to feel and very predictable, it doesn't take long to get used to it.

Easily the best mod, paid or not...put a smile on my face driving around in the first minute!

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I don't know that I'm brave enough to spend an hour in traffic with a heavier pedal effort...
You will barely even notice the difference. If you don't like it it's completely reversible, but I highly doubt that you will want to.
Sponsored