Sponsored

Really unhappy about the clunking and whining

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Perfectly normal. My 2013 did the same thing for 54k miles and tranny was still shifting excellent. Mt82 is actually a really good tranny. Changing fluid will not make it better. Been there done it all.
Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There have been reports of people changing the rear axle shafts with DSS units.

Two people reported that there was a lot of slop in their factory axles and once replaced with DSS 800HP units they greatly reduced or eliminated the thud.

The two-piece drive-shaft is commonly targeted as a cause of sloppiness in the drive train. If you look at S197 feedback from owners that replaced their two-piece with a single (properly installed) many report positive results.

Also the rear diff bushings are really soft. The diff moves around a lot. Change out the bushings or add inserts. I added inserts and the sound of the slop in the drive train has changed. No more thud, but now its more like a quick clunk. Either way it contributes. I'll do more to address the other parts of the drive train and revisit the diff bushings.

The transmission does whine. ^^^ Amp-d seems to have covered the causes there.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I find it hard to believe that Ford would allow non compliant parts (parts made at the edge of or more specifically out of Spec) to be used in their brand new signature car... Mustang.
And yet Ford has been using this substandard trans, to a chorus of complaints, since the 2011 model year, more than five years.

It IS truly had to believe.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, it's part of the inexpensive car deal. You can spend a lot more on a car and you will definitely get a car that is better quality.

I think there's a lot of bang for the buck. I love the Coyote and I don't mind the flaws. For the most part the car is pretty great IMO.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
And yet Ford has been using this substandard trans, to a chorus of complaints, since the 2011 model year, more than five years.

It is disappointing that Tremec and Ford couldn't work out something on using the TR6060 in the Gt like the Gt500 but its understandable. We're working on fixing issues with the unit so that its a better over all performing box without reinventing the wheel in the process.

Sponsored

FiveO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just installed the dss 800 half shafts, and the same clunks are still there. I did full suspension, and lowered the car. I did the work in a few stages. IMO, the biggest NVH increase seems to come from the diff bushings. I dont think it matters, what you do. Affordable performance, particularly Mustangs, can be a little noisy. Your not alone, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just a little annoying I guess.

Redeemer

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Deep Impact Blue

Seriously? Thats hard to believe that an American company would shit all over their own product and own consumer to protect their bottom line? Of all American car companies, I respect Ford the most, but the bean counters run the show, and when the bean counters count, the customer gets shit on, and the most talented employees get shit on, and everyone suffers for a perceived short term gain that becomes a nail in the corporate coffin.

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible 50 Years Edition
This may not matter to people whom already have their Mustangs, but the future may hold good things for these transmissions. I work for Magna International and we just agreed to an outright purchase of Getrag. The sale won't be complete till the end of the year and it will probably take a bit of time to make improvements, but with the technology that Magna has, and the desire for world class standards, I can see a lot of these issues going away in the near future.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i get a solid thud from time to time. but whatever. its still rolling. thats what warranty is for.
how many people have heard of synchros going out btw?

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Seriously? Thats hard to believe that an American company would shit all over their own product and own consumer to protect their bottom line? Of all American car companies, I respect Ford the most, but the bean counters run the show, and when the bean counters count, the customer gets shit on, and the most talented employees get shit on, and everyone suffers for a perceived short term gain that becomes a nail in the corporate coffin.
Yes, seriously. Look at the ongoing improvements to every other aspect of the Mustang over the past five year, 2010 to 2015. There's no comparison, Ford has been working hard and spending a lot of money to make a better product and stay competitive.

Except the manual transmission.

The AT got upgraded from the decent five-speed to the pretty-awesome six-speed 6R80, and while people want to complain it's not a DC or an 8-speed, more is coming. But the MT went from a solid 5-speed Tremec to this fragile, poor-shifting, unreliable Chinese-made Getrag knock-off that absolutely every enthusiast (target market) hates.

Tell me how that makes sense, or contributes to the bottom line.

What it does is push people to the AT, to the point where Ford will one day announce that the MT is selling so poorly that it's no longer financially viable. That's coming, maybe when the 10-speed AT is ready.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
In the 15 years I have been buying and modifying Mustangs, I have never once purchased one that came with an automatic transmission.

When I purchased my 2015, I had to go automatic: although I REALLY wanted to go with a manual transmission - simply because I refused to spend over $30K on a car with the MT-82 Transmission.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Yeah, it's part of the inexpensive car deal. You can spend a lot more on a car and you will definitely get a car that is better quality.

I think there's a lot of bang for the buck. I love the Coyote and I don't mind the flaws. For the most part the car is pretty great IMO.
No doubt. It's just very disappointing that they improved absolutely everything else from 2010 to 2015, yet went so far backward on the MT.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Never had problems with the two MT-82s I've owned. Crossing my fingers that the one in my 15 continues to hold up with all the extra power I'll be putting through it soon.

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT w/PP
Yeah, it's part of the inexpensive car deal.
today i learned my $40,000 car was inexpensive...

I'm at 4300 miles and the trans is only finding new ways to clunk, bang, whine, and feel generally poopy. lol. the 3650 in my '08 after 36k miles on the factory fluid still felt great with no whining, clunking, or grinding. i guess i can just keep hoping the trans will feel better after time in this one.

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
In the 15 years I have been buying and modifying Mustangs, I have never once purchased one that came with an automatic transmission.

When I purchased my 2015, I had to go automatic: although I REALLY wanted to go with a manual transmission - simply because I refused to spend over $30K on a car with the MT-82 Transmission.
I'm in the exact same boat here.
Sponsored