Sponsored

If you have the manual S550, remove the clutch spring. Instructions linked

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
What did it cost to have the Barton shifter installed?
Install cost was $250.00 and took about 2 hours. Definately something I couldn't have done on my own as it required a lift.
Sponsored

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
I've been reading everyone saying to remove the spring for months. I drive in heavy traffic everyday and could not make up my mind to take out the spring, did not want the clutch heavier. I finally pulled it out. It is definitely heavier, but not bad. It's not a major gain in clutch engagement feel, but just enough feel that you can now shift it smoothly, with the spring in you had absolutely no clutch feel. I got caught in bumper to bumper traffic yesterday due to a wreck and the heavier clutch was not to bad. If my wife drove the car everyday I would probably put the spring back in, but for me I'm ok with it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That thing looks dangerous. And what do you think it's like without it?

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

I like it much better. Took it around the block but it's never going back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Comp Orange. 65 Fastback ,T5, 302
I've had mine out for two weeks or so now and there is no way its ever going back in. I broke it when I removed it... lol. Not kidding though it feels proper without it, too numb feeling of a pedal travel with it in there. Its now the start of a pile of parts that will become my take off pile....

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT w/PP
I removed mine about a week and a half ago. the pedal feel is just like everyone says, more linear. i still think the clutch feel sucks, but it is much easier to drive "right".

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
It IS. Mine broke off into 3 pieces and one of them smacked me in the face. [emoji38]

I've had mine out for two weeks or so now and there is no way its ever going back in. I broke it when I removed it... lol.
This.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I drove for 2 weeks in rush hour traffic with the assist spring out and decided today to try it again with it back in. I must say, taking it out is much easier. I will explain the install method in case anyone else is interested in what finally worked for me.

First, this is not difficult so put that out of your mind. Figuring out how to do it is the tricky part but I did that already.

You will need vice grips and you use them to collapse the spring until the two windings on one side are completely compacted against each other. You then put the top and bottom of the spring assembly together on the spring and maneuver all of it up under the dash. Push the clutch pedal all the way down and put the lower part of the spring assembly onto the pin on the pedal. While still holding the pedal all the way to the floor rotate the top part of the assembly in the spring to align the top with the socket on the bracket and then pivot the whole spring assembly around the pin holding the lower part and snap it into place. Once the top and bottom are in place let the clutch pedal up and then remove the vice grips.

I hope this makes sense and helps!

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I've been thinking of taking my clutch assist spring out, but I've pretty much gotten use to the way the pedal feels with it in, so not so sure it's worth trying out or not. From what wildsailor said above, it sounds like if you're in lots of rush hour traffic having the assist spring installed might be worth it.

BobbyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT
Removed mine today. Honestly a bit surprised at how much better the clutch feels now.

Mustang99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow I wish I had known about this when I got the car. When I picked the car up my gf asked if I even knew how to drive a manual because the shifts were so bad. I took it out and now she can't even tell I'm shifting if she's not looking

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
I'll be the lone dissenter here. I pulled mine the other night and using the clutch is like kicking a pogo stick! Way to much upward force, my leg was jumping, especially in 1-2 shifts.

Would anyone be so kind as to mail me their "tophat" piece? Broke an ear off during removal.. :/ I'll happily paypal a few bucks your way. PM me please.

Thanks
This question is no disrespect to you, so please don't takei it that way...

Have you experienced any other clutches that are as stiff as this one without the helper spring? If I recall, my 04 Cobra was somewhat like this in tension.

I agree its stiffer, but I'll take stiff and predictable/linear rather than soft and undpredictable/non-linear.

Just my opinion. I'll gladly ship you mine if you cover the shipping charges since mine will never be going back on.
Sponsored