Sponsored

DSS broken half shafts

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have DSS 1400 HP driveshafts installed on my 2015 mustang GT for only a couple thousand miles now. I have heard of many people having issues with these relating to the bolts coming out and shearing.

I got stranded on the side of the road and my car would not go forward or backwards. The car would go into gear and not even stall out. I got my car towed to the shop I had these half shafts installed at and they said the bolts were sheared and some lose and missing. They contacted DSS and they stated it is a known issue and they would fix them for free if sent in. My shop said they can reinstall the new bolts themselves. DSS instructed them to install the new bolts and use loctite.

The issue is, I already paid all that labor to have them installed and now I'm going to have to pay all that labor again to have my shop take them out and reinstall them. Is this something that DSS should pay for since it is an issue with their product?
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The bolts should have come with Loctite from the manufacturer in the first place, good luck with them paying out a dime just put new bolts in with Loctite and move on.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well many people have had this same issue with these half shafts and the bolts. The half shafts have to be removed to install the new bolts and that's probably 4 hours of labor so it's not a cheap fix for a manufacturers mistake.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have DSS 1400 HP driveshafts installed on my 2015 mustang GT for only a couple thousand miles now. I have heard of many people having issues with these relating to the bolts coming out and shearing.

I got stranded on the side of the road and my car would not go forward or backwards. The car would go into gear and not even stall out. I got my car towed to the shop I had these half shafts installed at and they said the bolts were sheared and some lose and missing. They contacted DSS and they stated it is a known issue and they would fix them for free if sent in. My shop said they can reinstall the new bolts themselves. DSS instructed them to install the new bolts and use loctite.

The issue is, I already paid all that labor to have them installed and now I'm going to have to pay all that labor again to have my shop take them out and reinstall them. Is this something that DSS should pay for since it is an issue with their product?
I'd the shop that installed the shafts source them for you and get their markup on the shafts? Or did you buy them and carry them in to the shop for a labor only job? If they sourced them, it should be on the shop to get you the agreed upon job for what you paid. If you ordered them youself, it's going to be on you or the manufacturer.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The shop sourced them for me, they had them in stock.

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Then they should cover the cost that is associated with defective parts they sell.
Exactly. This is why sometimes it pays to get parts from the shop.
The shop will likely fight to get reimbursed from dss.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
When i was in the market for upgraded half shafts, i had heard there were issues with dss, so i bought ford racing half shafts...glad i did...

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well DSS isn't covering the cost for the parts or labor.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
That sux they should cover it ....how much are they talking about?

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Yeah that's BS, you had to pay for a tow + labor because of a known issue with their product, doesn't give a good impression for DSS and their lack of customer service.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Well hopefully this thread shows people how dss really works. I'm sorry for your troubles but that you for posting up. Gforce will be the only company I use from now on.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
How could they not use loctite on a performance part that recieves a ton of torque and rpms,i just checked mine when doing my clutch and can say leaves me a bit less confident going down the track.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
How could they not use loctite on a performance part that recieves a ton of torque and rpms,i just checked mine when doing my clutch and can say leaves me a bit less confident going down the track.
It could even be they used a slightly off thread pitch causing the bolts not to tighten the proper amount of tq even if a thread locker was used.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As I stated many people have had an issue with these half shafts and the bolts coming loose or shearing and DSS is aware of the issue. I have only had these installed on my vehicle for 2000 or so miles and this should not be happening.

I have now been stranded on the side of the road, had to pay for a tow and also hundreds of dollars for a rental vehicle while my car sits at the shop waiting for DSS to ship out the new bolts to fix it. And now I have to pay upwards of 300 dollars for labor. This is turning out to be an extremely expensive fix for a part that should not have broken as it did. I really think this is something DSS should take care of. I sent them a private message on this forum, waiting for a response. I have also spent a lot of money with DSS and have their one piece driveshaft installed on my vehicle.
Sponsored