Sponsored

How can I make my exhaust quieter?

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I daily my mustang now and it's just to loud for daily use. Here is my setup...

Stainless works catless long tube headers and mbrp street catback. Short of just removing the mbrp and throwing the stock catback on I was thinking I could have some resonators welded in?

Which resonators would work and which part of the mbrp should I have them welded into?
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I daily my mustang now and it's just to loud for daily use. Here is my setup...

Stainless works catless long tube headers and mbrp street catback. Short of just removing the mbrp and throwing the stock catback on I was thinking I could have some resonators welded in?

Which resonators would work and which part of the mbrp should I have them welded into?
  1. Put some cats on (it will reduce the sound and will be better overall)
  2. If you need more sound reduction, install your factory resonator and mufflers. I have catted LTHs connected to the factory resonator and mufflers, only starts getting loud above 3k RPM. Even at 6k RPM, it is louder but not excessive.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well I want to do it without messing with the headers or cats. I want to keep the same power just make it quieter. I also want to keep the mbrp tips because they are big. I'm thinking I can weld in resonators but i don't have the stock catback anymore so I would need to buy aftermarket ones.

1. Put some cats on (it will reduce the sound and will be better overall)
  2. If you need more sound reduction, install your factory resonator and mufflers. I have catted LTHs connected to the factory resonator and mufflers, only starts getting loud above 3k RPM. Even at 6k RPM, it is louder but not excessive.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Well I want to do it without messing with the headers or cats. I want to keep the same power just make it quieter. I also want to keep the mbrp tips because they are big. I'm thinking I can weld in resonators but i don't have the stock catback anymore so I would need to buy aftermarket ones.
Higher performance comes with a price almost always. Rare do you every get "free" power. In your case, sound is your price.

I'm sure if you ask around, there are plenty of guys going to an aftermarket exhaust who would off load their stock catback. That is cheap and inexpensive and will take fewer mods I would think to make work.

Basically, you need to put something between your engine and your exhaust tips. If it isn't going to be cats, it has to be something else. As far as losing power, I'd like to see where catless makes significant power over catted exhausts. I'm thinking that it is a small difference for the performance cats.

Yeah, it is a loss but you gain sound reduction. Considering what mods you are talking about, I'm thinking your issues likely stems from a legal problem, ie noise ordanance?

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nope, no legal issues just tired if how loud it is for daily use but don't want to lose power. I don't want to add cats to my long tubes I'm already tuned for my catless ones which is why I want to tackle the issue at the catback part of the exhaust. I guess I could throw up the stock catback but I just read that some people were welding in resonators to quiet it down a bit and was curious as to which resonators people were using.

Higher performance comes with a price almost always. Rare do you every get "free" power. In your case, sound is your price.

I'm sure if you ask around, there are plenty of guys going to an aftermarket exhaust who would off load their stock catback. That is cheap and inexpensive and will take fewer mods I would think to make work.

Basically, you need to put something between your engine and your exhaust tips. If it isn't going to be cats, it has to be something else. As far as losing power, I'd like to see where catless makes significant power over catted exhausts. I'm thinking that it is a small difference for the performance cats.

Yeah, it is a loss but you gain sound reduction. Considering what mods you are talking about, I'm thinking your issues likely stems from a legal problem, ie noise ordanance?

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Nope, no legal issues just tired if how loud it is for daily use but don't want to lose power. I don't want to add cats to my long tubes I'm already tuned for my catless ones which is why I want to tackle the issue at the catback part of the exhaust. I guess I could throw up the stock catback but I just read that some people were welding in resonators to quiet it down a bit and was curious as to which resonators people were using.
18" long case dynomax race bullets mounted right after your X or H will cut the volume a ton but zero performance loss.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thank you. Should I stagger them ?

18" long case dynomax race bullets mounted right after your X or H will cut the volume a ton but zero performance loss.

Qwkfords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What solution did you end up doing? I am looking to quiet mine down too. Stainless works LT headers with 3” Stainless Works Legend H pipe and exhaust.

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You wont lose any power with cats unless you are boosted. It will really help the volume.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I had the corsa pro series 3 inch resonators installed on my corsa extreme exhaust with stainless works headers and they helped out. Reduced the volume of the exhaust and eliminated a lot of the raspy tone. I went with the smaller version, they have longer ones that should reduce even more sound but honestly the smaller ones were perfect. Definitely check them out.
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG
cse-pkm2007_xl.jpg
pkm2002_1.986_1.jpg

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
What solution did you end up doing? I am looking to quiet mine down too. Stainless works LT headers with 3” Stainless Works Legend H pipe and exhaust.
Just put the OEM catback, back on. The Stainless Works cat back isn't giving you any additional power anyway

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Qwkfords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Edit, holy Necro-Thread, Batman!! come on, @Qwkfords

You didn't gain any measurable power in the first place...

earplugs.
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Uncorded-Earplugs-Value-390-1000/dp/B0006GWRY0
200 pair should last you a while.

What diameter are your mid-length pipes? You can buy Borla resonators in 2.5 and 3.
lol, when you get old like me we tend to try and be somewhat quiet and I just do not like the raspy sound. SW LT headers, no cats, 3” all the way back…under boost it is pretty obnoxious for street driving lol

I am leaning towards the Magna Flow since Borla says to only use their resonator with their exhaust. I like the Corsa solution too, might give that a shot first. Thanks
Sponsored