Sponsored

Mustang to Camaro SS

samlee27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Alright guys I did it, sold my V6 Automatic Mustang for a 2018 Camaro 1SS 6M. I have to say, I could not miss my Mustang more. Driving it was a lot more satisfying and fun, even though it was a V6 and an auto. Overall, the Camaro rides better, has better torque, and the transmission and clutch is very nice. The interior is a bit lacking compared to a Mustang premium trim, and even the base model interior in the Mustang was a nicer place to sit in than the Camaro. Visibility and trunk space is awful, storage is horrendous too compared to the Mustang. Maybe I just need more time to adjust? Either way, the stories of Mustang engines rattling and transmissions failing pushed me to a Camaro but I wish I had just stuck with Ford now.
Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I'm guessing moving to a V8 will probably cure your buyers remorse at some point.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
not sure why you didnt just get the GT.

Sponsored

Sway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt (Oxford White)
lol..everything you complain about has been know for years did you just buy it and not sit in it or drive it??
Exactly, sounds like he bought it online and just had it delivered.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I don't know how you didn't know that after a test drive?? You spent too much time reading bad news on forums. It's a cest of overly bad and overly good news, and the vast majority of customers never visit or post on here. Yes, the 18 has had some early issues. The chances of you having them are still pretty low and guess what?? That's what a warranty is for!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The SS sounds pretty fun, we all know about the visibility issue, storage doesn't seem like that much of a deal breaker (what exactly are you "storing" ... ?)

Right, per a few comments above, you knew what you were buying, the MY18+ GTs are fine (I guess I'd question a Camaro, rated worst in dependability, as a solution for some outlier issues on the new GT ...)

Pics of the new ride?

Lawguy85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1 FJG
Not trying to flame, did almost the same thing: 2016 V6 Mustang to 2018 Camaro SS. Test drove 3 models, SS, GT Premium, GT PP, Stinger GT1, cross-shopped a few more. Bought in late May after the '19 SS was shown, the Camaro refresh is truly horrifying, so that pushed my buying timetable up a bit.

GT1 was nicest interior by far, but didn't feel fast even though it was fast. Lack of aftermarket and dealer who wouldn't budge scared me off to boot. Mustangs, didn't love the look of the refresh and the way power is delivered didn't really grab me. Camaro was the best mix for me, personally. Got a absolutely stupid deal ($7k, 9% off with minimal negotiation), felt it looked way more aggressive than the GT, less mods I'd do to it v. getting a 2018 GT, and the power down low made ordinary driving feel more exciting IMO. The visibility thing is way overblown, and while the Mustang's interior is definitely nicer, wasn't enough of a delta to make a meaningful difference to me.

Honestly, the vitriol on both sides its amusing to me. There's pros and cons to all platforms, declaring one as superior and the other(s) as crap is juvenile, reductive and indicative of a serious lack of critical thinking skills. I miss the vast Mustang aftermarket, the online knowledge base and community being the sales leader brings and, to a certain extent, the more spacious interior. However, don't miss my Mustang at all, and if OP does I feel bad he made such a costly financial mistake.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I drove a Camaro SS 1LE and thought it was great, except for visibility and the retarded location of the center A/C vents. Interior is fine. Prior generation Camaro interior was awful, just like the Mustang, but the new ones... fine. I'm patiently awaiting the Supra. Nothing like having a Toyota dealership to deal with again... they actually give a F here.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
not sure why you didnt just get the GT.
He supposedly did have a GT on order. But he was talking about getting a Jeep barely a week after joining here (just this past April). I'm not at all sure he knows what he wants, or what the order of those priorities might be, or what he'll put up with.

HVAC outlet locations aside, I think he needs to shift his focus from being on perceived interior flaws to being on the driving. The 1SS is actually a pretty easy car to jump into and drive.

Norm

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Visibility and trunk space is awful, storage is horrendous too compared to the Mustang. Maybe I just need more time to adjust? Either way, the stories of Mustang engines rattling and transmissions failing pushed me to a Camaro but I wish I had just stuck with Ford now.
According to the Camaro guys you get used to the awful visibility...For me there was never enough on the plus side to give this negative a chance.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
According to the Camaro guys you get used to the awful visibility...For me there was never enough on the plus side to give this negative a chance.
That's certainly possible, both the "getting used to it" part and that doing so will take longer for some people than others.

I've never owned a Camaro, though I've either driven or at least ridden in every generation of them.

Norm

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I just traded my 2015 Base GT A6 for a 1SS A8 and I really like it ..I have zero problems seeing out of it .. a/c lower vents work fine , yes they look out of place but work fine ..Inside of the car seems just as nice to me .. No storage , well that is a fact for sure .. One thing I love is no vibration problem at 50 to 70 like my Mustang had ..The Camaro is also less twitchy at high speed , it just feels more planted .. I waited till they were having close out sales on the Camaro to get a better price and it worked .. 31,158 .. MSRP was 39,990 .. I looked a drove a 2018 GT Base with the 10 speed and worked a price with them also 39k MSRP and I got it down to 32K .. Good deal on both of the cars for sure but the new front end on the Mustang killed it for me ..
Sponsored