Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RS1 Premium W/PP
Mine has never had less than 91, and I topped it off with almost a full tank of fresh 91 right after I left the dealership. I haven’t been doing much part throttle cruising however. I have been driving more aggressively thinking that was the fastest way for it to learn. I’ll start doing some part throttle pulls in different gears. I have also mostly been driving it in D mode, not using the paddles. Hopefully those little changes make a difference.
Sponsored

xmadror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ecoboost
What I did was partial throttle in 4th gear from 40 but quickly went full throttle right after, up to 80mph.
Can't say if that is the best way fore sure though.

Like I said I didn't noticed much improvement from the learning period.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Has anyone dyno/verified/compared the stock airbox vs the FP intake? I know the stock box is suppose to be better than after market intakes but since this tune is specifically tuned with with the FP intake I am wondering if there is a difference in power and or reliability of the turbo by running the tune with the stock air box? I am wondering in case after FP warranty expires I decide to switch to the stock air box.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Has anyone dyno/verified/compared the stock airbox vs the FP intake? I know the stock box is suppose to be better than after market intakes but since this tune is specifically tuned with with the FP intake I am wondering if there is a difference in power and or reliability of the turbo by running the tune with the stock air box? I am wondering in case after FP warranty expires I decide to switch to the stock air box.
I suspect the FP intake is included to justify the $750 price tag (when bought from FP directly). Although I would have paid $550 for the tune alone I figure ford included the intake in order to present the FP tune kit as some sort of Double whammy. The FP intake does sound cool I guess and IIRC the stock box with the green filter had like 1-3HP more or something. Ill more than likely be switching back to the stock box simply bc the filters are cheaper for the stock box.
I would also suspect that Ford figured the FP intake looks cooler and that is the truth.

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine today.

I've taken it out twice. The first time was with the missus to go to the gym, so nothing learned there.

The second time I took her on a 12 mile country drive. Near the end it was definitely feeling stronger, but I can't swear that was more than me learning where the torque is now over the course of the drive.

I did one straight line hard pull from 0 to 90 (Sport+ nanny mode traction stuff still active) and it barked the tires hard hitting 2nd. I can't swear that it was faster, but it was way smoother through that brief run, no "bog and go" like I was used to. The power was there by 2K and seemed fairly even through the 6k shift points. I'm not sure if it *is* faster, but it sure *feels* faster.

This is all very subjective and if there is a "learning period" I'm probably not out of it with less than 20 miles driven since flashing it.

One objective thing I have noticed is that the IAT is down about 15 - 20 degrees. I don't know how much of that is the new location of the sensor.

Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I’m still searching for a reasonably priced FPP box to do just that. I’ve been running with the stock box for the last 15k miles and definitely have zero complaints, just curious to see if the box is actually needed or not.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I installed mine today.

I've taken it out twice. The first time was with the missus to go to the gym, so nothing learned there.

The second time I took her on a 12 mile country drive. Near the end it was definitely feeling stronger, but I can't swear that was more than me learning where the torque is now over the course of the drive.

I did one straight line hard pull from 0 to 90 (Sport+ nanny mode traction stuff still active) and it barked the tires hard hitting 2nd. I can't swear that it was faster, but it was way smoother through that brief run, no "bog and go" like I was used to. The power was there by 2K and seemed fairly even through the 6k shift points. I'm not sure if it *is* faster, but it sure *feels* faster.

This is all very subjective and if there is a "learning period" I'm probably not out of it with less than 20 miles driven since flashing it.

One objective thing I have noticed is that the IAT is down about 15 - 20 degrees. I don't know how much of that is the new location of the sensor.
If you notice that the IAT s do stay down then you have not waisted your moneys purchasing the intake .

Have you upgraded the intercooler ? I went full race and do not think about the IAT's

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I have the following, so if i can be of any assistance in number gathering or whatever...let me know..

ProCal tune
FPP CAI
Garret IC
Catback

Last edited:

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A new IC is on the list for next time. (We have to negotiate these things with the wife... lol) along with a down pipe and springs.

Not sure if I want to buy a cat back system or not. If there is no significant power gain then I'm happy with it being quiet... I don't need it to sound like one of these kid's Hondas if it doesn't do something for my right foot, especially at the price tag for quality systems.

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BTW: is there a market for the spare parts? ... I have a perfectly good stock air box and the inlet tube for a GT-350 taking up space in my shop now. lol

Sponsored

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RS1 Premium W/PP
BTW: is there a market for the spare parts? ... I have a perfectly good stock air box and the inlet tube for a GT-350 taking up space in my shop now. lol
Yes there is. Post it in the “want to buy” section. Look around there and see if anyone is looking for any of the parts you’re parting with. Pretty sure someone would be interested in the air box.

Also, since you’re already tuned, a cat-back system would def help you see the full potential of the ProCal tune. Or any other tune for that matter.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
A new IC is on the list for next time. (We have to negotiate these things with the wife... lol) along with a down pipe and springs.

Not sure if I want to buy a cat back system or not. If there is no significant power gain then I'm happy with it being quiet... I don't need it to sound like one of these kid's Hondas if it doesn't do something for my right foot, especially at the price tag for quality systems.

If you have the FP tune, you cannot run an aftermarket downpipe, those require custom tunes

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think thats all myth. When the car is tuned, its programmed to utilize what was set, if you're providing that( octane, parts, etc) it should be performing as such.

I have a qusetion though, if a tune was flashed for 93oct but the car was using 91 at the time but filled up with 93 a few weeks after, would that affect the performance of the car and would the tune have to be reflashed with 93 in it now?
The logic of your first statement seems sound, but my own recent experience argues against it.

I already described my initial results the day I flashed the car. Yesterday was a commute day for me (I drive to my office twice a week and telework the rest.) My office is 63 miles away in Tyson's Corner.

I don't remember anything special about the drive in (but then, who remembers much for a drive to work at 4:00 am anyway?) but I noticed the car was driving substantially different as soon as I got out of the parking structure on the trip home.

There is one factor the flash can't adjust; the fuel you put in the car. I'm wondering if the PCM is set up such that when you apply the tune, if contains a "script" to adapt the base settings of the tune to the octane of the fuel used (87 would be "out of range" and, if this guess is valid, would probably not trigger the tune to "adapt").

Alternatively; maybe the flash *is* static but doesn't "apply" until after some number of PCM boot cycles.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Alternatively; maybe the flash *is* static but doesn't "apply" until after some number of PCM boot cycles.
The PCM is programmed with base values for engine control parameters. It updates those parameters as you drive. It never stops updating. Older values are overwritten as conditions change. If you use 91 octane this week tbe PCM will use the appropriate parameters for that octane. If you switch to 93 octane the PCM will sense it and change the parameters to take advantage, but it's not instantaneous. Same same if you switch from 93 to 91 only backwards.

The only unknown is the specific time required to apply new control parameters following a change in octane. Ford Performance has advised those who want to get the most from its tune in the least amount if time to perform three or four pulls in forth gear from 2000 rpm to near red line using moderate to heavy throttle. This suggests the PCM can respond fairly rapidly to changing conditions when pushed.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I picked my car up today from Next Level Performance Solutions but haven't had a chance to get many pulls in. My initial impressions are that I can really hear the turbo and blowoff now and the transmission has a much more immediate feel. I'm hoping to get a better feel for what this tune and the Garrett intercooler have brought to the table this weekend. I will say that this CAI looks ridiculously large for an engine this size but I dig it.
procal.jpg
Sponsored