Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Ecoboost

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Oh I figured this would go down this road again. I have no problem with anyone who wants to down shift and rev to the moon to get awesome power. I just don't want to drive like that anymore BECAUSE I don't race anymore. I like to ease on the throttle and just go. Those dyno charts are at full throttle. I would prefer those numbers at part throttle because I have an automatic and don't want it to freaking down shift 3 gears and rev to 5000 or 6000 rpm everytime I want to have a little fun. The manuals were better because I could give lots of throttle at low rpm and get ok power down low though. I would like to have the same amount of pull in say 5th gear at 2500 rpm then 3rd gear at 5000. This is something FI cars can do. If you guys don't like or want that, that's fine, just don't understand why need to be so critical of someone who likes to drive sporty without causing all kinds of attention by screaming a motor around town to have fun with it.

When I did roadrace, the coyote motor type of power is exactly what I liked for the road courses. Just not as much fun on the street. It really only allows me fun in 2 gears. 3rd thru 6th will never see red line where the power is. Where for ME, I love to have low RPM pull to still enjoy the higher gears. I come from old school (fox) v8's and lately turbo cars so that's what I have grown to like. Short shift grunt. In stock form, the GT didn't do it for me as a daily driver. And yes the ecoboost is very boring when I do go flat out with it and feel that power fall off.

AND I NEVER EVER said anything about racing at part throttle. It's the fact I don't RACE on the street.
You do realize that the S550 5.0 has more torque everywhere (including down low) than a foxbody 5.0 don't you ;)

Also, any auto in the future is going to have 10 speeds...so if you don't like downshifting multiple gears at once, you're going to be stuck buying older vehicles.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Oh Lord, another “my toy is better than yours” thread by yet another insecure GT owner. Won’t be long before someone starts a “my dad can beat up your dad” thread.
Another one took the bait. And were well on our way to a 500 post pissing match.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Another one took the bait. And were well on our way to a 500 post pissing match.
Just wait until the electric stang comes out, it will out preform both current models especially in a part throttle race!:ninja:

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
You do realize that the S550 5.0 has more torque everywhere (including down low) than a foxbody 5.0 don't you ;)

Also, any auto in the future is going to have 10 speeds...so if you don't like downshifting multiple gears at once, you're going to be stuck buying older vehicles.
I will admit its been awhile since I drove my old Fox GT which was modified a bit and even carberated. Maybe it didn't have as much torque as I thought but just thought it to have a lot of fun short shift grunt and power would fall off at 6000. Then I got into turbo cars with 3000gt, and most recently a APR tuned Audi TT. I have grown to really enjoy that turbo pull and my god did the Audi have it. 50 to 90 in 5th gear was so quick. Sold the Audi because way too many expensive things to go wrong there. So I'm not interested in the german or Japanse cars lately but certainly love the power of the 335I that I drove. I really like everything about the mustang just would like a v6 turbo in it or a V8 designed and tunes for torque instead of HP. So, yeah I'm not really sure what car in the future I'll be looking into. For now at the relatively cheap cost of this used ecoboost it's fun and will satisfy me for a bit. But I would like to have a ride in a tuned GT to see if that does what I'm looking for maybe. Because my tuned 05 GT pulls so much better then a stock 07 GT I test drove.

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Quote “People don't choose the EB because they want a slower car, they choose it because it's cheaper. There is no fault in that, it just is what it is. “

I will concede this is probably true overall, if you will concede your making a sweeping generalization. Because no doubt many EB owners could afford the GT, but were looking for something a bit different this time around.

I mean, I don’t go around saying “well, you can’t afford a convertible so....”

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Quote “People don't choose the EB because they want a slower car, they choose it because it's cheaper. There is no fault in that, it just is what it is. “

I will concede this is probably true overall, if you will concede your making a sweeping generalization. Because no doubt many EB owners could afford the GT, but were looking for something a bit different this time around.

How about: "I want to daily drive the thing, and my commute is x miles long, so I need to worry about gas mileage?" :thumbsup: Hey, Ford started building that in a cool, RWD car...

P.S. About identical gas mileage from my last car (a Pontiac Sunfire GT), but a hell of alot more smiles per gallon :D

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Notice I didn't mention affordability, just price? ;)

How about: "I want to daily drive the thing, and my commute is x miles long, so I need to worry about gas mileage?" :thumbsup: Hey, Ford started building that in a cool, RWD car...

P.S. About identical gas mileage from my last car (a Pontiac Sunfire GT), but a hell of alot more smiles per gallon :D
If you're filling your EB up with premium fuel, you're spending about the same amount of money on fuel as I am with my GT...as I can get away with 87 octane with nearly no degradation in performance.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Oh christ, here we go again.
fascinating_o_2620325.jpg

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Oh I figured this would go down this road again. I have no problem with anyone who wants to down shift and rev to the moon to get awesome power. I just don't want to drive like that anymore BECAUSE I don't race anymore. I like to ease on the throttle and just go. Those dyno charts are at full throttle. I would prefer those numbers at part throttle because I have an automatic and don't want it to freaking down shift 3 gears and rev to 5000 or 6000 rpm everytime I want to have a little fun. The manuals were better because I could give lots of throttle at low rpm and get ok power down low though. I would like to have the same amount of pull in say 5th gear at 2500 rpm then 3rd gear at 5000. This is something FI cars can do. If you guys don't like or want that, that's fine, just don't understand why need to be so critical of someone who likes to drive sporty without causing all kinds of attention by screaming a motor around town to have fun with it.

When I did roadrace, the coyote motor type of power is exactly what I liked for the road courses. Just not as much fun on the street. It really only allows me fun in 2 gears. 3rd thru 6th will never see red line where the power is. Where for ME, I love to have low RPM pull to still enjoy the higher gears. I come from old school (fox) v8's and lately turbo cars so that's what I have grown to like. Short shift grunt. In stock form, the GT didn't do it for me as a daily driver. And yes the ecoboost is very boring when I do go flat out with it and feel that power fall off.

AND I NEVER EVER said anything about racing at part throttle. It's the fact I don't RACE on the street.
Oh was it you who was talking about only driving at part throttle racing from stop light to stop light :lol:

The meme never died.

Sponsored

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
its all fun and games until you find yourself lined up next to an ec0boost in a part throttle run... ;)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Dude should get a tuned diesel pickup. The coyote has plenty of go without winding it out. It just gets more fun.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're filling your EB up with premium fuel, you're spending about the same amount of money on fuel as I am with my GT...as I can get away with 87 octane with nearly no degradation in performance.
Most people here are using about 50% more fuel in a GT daily driving over an Ecoboost, the EB uses WAY less fuel to run as a daily driver.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Most people here are using about 50% more fuel in a GT daily driving over an Ecoboost, the EB uses WAY less fuel to run as a daily driver.
Most people who have fuel economy on their mind have a long commute and a lot of highway miles. I for example average 19 smiles per gallon on a 12 mile commute. Switching over to an EB and running premium fuel would almost break even in yearly fuel costs. This may not work for every scenario, but it works for quite a few.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Here’s my take take as a V6 guy who has no stake in this argument and no bias...

Yesterday I was leaving a Best Buy store turning onto the main road and noticed this other Mustang. I usually try to see what model they are driving. Mostly it’s V6 and Ecoboosts as the GTs were all premiums until this year so like 20 grand more and I can count the GT sightings on one hand each week. So this red Mustang sees me and decides to take a flier at me gunning the motor and flying by. It had the GT markings on the back but the exhaust sounded like shit! It sounded like an Ecoboost. How could anyone fuck up the stock exhaust so badly I thought? Then it hit me the guy put GT badging on an Ecoboost! All this happened in the span of seconds but that is what went through my mind and sorry about the exhaust description but that was what went through mind exactly at that moment.

That was the first instance of deception I ever saw with an S550 and it was sooooo wrong. This guy was fooling nobody. It would be better if he didn’t gun the engine at all. I have only seen one Ecoboost with the 2.3Turbo fender badging but you do regularly see V6s with the 3.7 badging and you are always duped until you see the badging clearly. Hell some of the exhaust notes are kind of close that in traffic you get duped for a while and then see the truth and actually it is all fun and all legal by Mustang rules.

The point is the Ecoboost and GT are completely different animals with different engines. You can’t even fool some of the people some of the time if you switch the badging they are so different. Don’t even bother with that disguise! Within a split second I knew something was off with that car. The two cars are what they are and unlike a ven diagram - there is no overlap! The cars are completely different in a fundamental way. Anyway that is my take. Take it for what it’s worth...
Sponsored