Sponsored

2018 style steering wheel control on 2015-2017

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
As you guys probably noticed the 2018 has the volume control in the right place (left side of the steering wheel).
I wonder if it's possible to buy the 2018+ buttons and just swap them into my 2017?
Capture.JPG
Sponsored

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
I didn't even know there was a "right" side. I thought it made sense being on the side that the stereo is actually on. Now it would just bug me being on the other side. It just doesn't seem like it makes logical sense to be over there.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I much prefer all audio/infotainment controls to be on the same side, and all other controls to be on the other. That would annoy the crap out of me.

JR

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What's the pony button for?

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I much prefer all audio/infotainment controls to be on the same side, and all other controls to be on the other. That would annoy the crap out of me.

JR
x2! :thumbsup: I don't want to wonder why the radio didn't change stations, but now my cruise control is on and I'm accelerating.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
If I bought a new car and it was set up that way, that's fine with me. However, after 2+ years of ownership, I definitely would have no interest in switching around the buttons that I've gotten used to. Just seems like a waste of time and money to me but to each their own...

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
If I bought a new car and it was set up that way, that's fine with me. However, after 2+ years of ownership, I definitely would have no interest in switching around the buttons that I've gotten used to. Just seems like a waste of time and money to me but to each their own...
This is how I am. Had a Focus ST with audio on right. Went to a WRX, audio on left, GF has an Escape audio on right, now to Mustang audio on right. It's like gas caps, wish everyone would pick a side and be done with it lol.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Mostly likely you can buy new switches and install them. You'll just have to swap the harness from right to left and left to right. Of course, Ford might have changed the connectors but probably not. Maybe you could check before opening the packages so you could return if needed.

Looks pretty basic inside the wheel

Audio controls on left side is definitely the correct place. Both hands can stay in position, left on steering wheel and right on shift knob.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Opps... Just noticed voice recognition control and exit buttom in place of left and right arrows. I guess exit & left arrow are the same function. Maybe right arrow sub-menu select was moved to ok button. So definitely check the connectors. If it all plugs together, you'll have to live with voice recognition stencil or rub it off and make a create a right arrow.

Long story short. I don't know. Opps

Sponsored

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
Every vehicle seems to have different layouts. Imagine that . . . What gets me is muscle memory. I drive my Tacoma for a while and get in the GT350 and need to re-learn. Toyota's wiper stalk moves exactly opposite the GT350. Audio is on the left in the Tacoma and on the right in the GT350. But, they're both 6 speed manuals with the same pattern, so at least I'm not grinding gears!

OP
OP
jasonstang

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Every vehicle seems to have different layouts. Imagine that . . . What gets me is muscle memory. I drive my Tacoma for a while and get in the GT350 and need to re-learn. Toyota's wiper stalk moves exactly opposite the GT350. Audio is on the left in the Tacoma and on the right in the GT350. But, they're both 6 speed manuals with the same pattern, so at least I'm not grinding gears!
I get your point but the S550 steering wheel layout has to be the worst. Buttons everywhere and hard to reach such as the cruise control on and off button. Why does it have to have two positions?

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
This is what I love about my Mopars, all of the audio controls are on the back of the steering wheel(seek/source change on the left, volume and preset change on the right). the only buttons on the front are cruise and MFD controls/

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
As you guys probably noticed the 2018 has the volume control in the right place (left side of the steering wheel).
I wonder if it's possible to buy the 2018+ buttons and just swap them into my 2017?
I’ve been researching this exact thing too. I dislike the current setup. Other cars in the household have audio controls on left spoke, so much more logical for my own use. The only issues I have seen yet is the voice control vs the cancel of the center button, although this is a small detail. Must keep searching the available switch modules as there are several different configurations. Just hoping the plugs are the same.

ddaarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush RS2
Id love to have audio controls on the left. Hope a solution is found.
Sponsored