Sponsored

Is the Mustang the official car of Hawaii?

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Just got here to vacation for a couple weeks, and rented (natch) a vert. Driving around Kauai today, noticed every third car is seemingly a Mustang. Nice penetration of a market, Ford! :headbang:

Other than being a base V6 stripper and the rear windows not going all the way up, cool ride.
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Just got here to vacation for a couple weeks, and rented (natch) a vert. Driving around Kauai today, noticed every third car is seemingly a Mustang. Nice penetration of a market, Ford! :headbang:

Other than being a base V6 stripper and the rear windows not going all the way up, cool ride.
I'm in New York city for several days and haven't seen a single mustang here. Regardless of generation.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Same here in Miami, every 3rd car seems to be a mustang and 2 of those 3 are rental convertibles! Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Probably mostly rentals, it's Hawaii after all.
Oh it is absolutely rentals, but there are a few 5.0’s here and there. Totally useless, I think I hit 45 once.

Danman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I've been to Hawaii twice in the past year and rented a Mustang convertible both times (Oahu and Kauai). What sucks is that the Mykey is locked out so the stereo is set to only 1/2 loudness which you can barely hear when the top is down. Other than that it's a nice rental for island cruising.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Yup noticed that too. I was in an ss camaro though we had asked for a stang.

Also noticed Toyota tundra were extremely popular. At least in Maui

And yeah the speed limits drove me nuts!

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hawaii rental made me buy a Mustang.

Fourth generation Mustang - I sat in at carshow and IMO, built quality felt so poor... I wouldn't even want to testdrive that Mustang.

Fifth generation Mustang I rented at Hawaii 'cause I wanted to have some convertible experience. And my thought on that generation was - hm... not bad. It wasn't as well built as my BMW, but very reasonably well.

But it was 6th gen V6 rental that made me say - outstanding, sell BMW, buy Mustang.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
When I was in Maui for a honey moon we had a triple black vert eco rental. I was impressed and it opened my eyes to the S550.

I went to SEMA a few months later and that's when I made up my mind.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
Count how many Toyota Tacoma’s you see. They are literally everywhere. It’s the #1 selling new car in the state.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
LOL the mustang plus jeep wrangler are super popular with both local, military and tourist. just between those two there's at least a half a dozen new car dealerships on O'ahu alone. here's a good rule of thumb though, if you see one driving around in the day it's probably a tourist because locals would be working!

O'ahu used to have a quarter mile track and abbreviated motorcycle course and even scooter race track but at least there's rallycross now if you dare. used to be scca autocrosses at Aloha stadium no idea if they still do, hope so. maui still has scca autocross and I'm waiting for Hilo drags to open back up here.

Honolulu has every car maker available all the way from bmw/mini, benz, porsche to lambos, teslas, maserati etc. if they don't have it just open your wallet and they'll get it for you or ship yours in. Lots of car enthusiasts here. We started the import invasion after all lol but hot rods ruled the day. nobody remembers Roland Leong and the Flyin' Hawaiian dragster? :D

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
But what will Danno say to this!? :D
Sponsored