BACK Plate Mounting Bracket???? Hmmm, wth

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
So, I got my R last fall and am taking it out of storage soon! Amazing!

Anyway, since I got it, I was wondering why they didn't make a bracket for the REAR plate to sit on instead of just directly on the beautiful paint (and stripes) on the rear bumper.

If I mount my plate directly on it like it's supposed to I'm quite confident it's going to chafe the paint or stripes off...

Is there anyone out there that has found a mounting bracket for the REAR plate? So the bracket would fit the factory holes in the bumper and the plate would attach the bracket.

Rob
Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Now if you stick something like a padded pad or whatever to the underside of the plate that will rub against the paint/vinyl so that is not good (accumulating dirt plus vibrations will make a mess). I ended up finding some thick soft pads that I stuck to the car the lowest I could but still under the plate. That way if the glue is vinyl safe - which it is - you will have the plate kept at a 1/8" or so distance from the paint and vinyl. The plate frame is also kept away by the plate itself (which is pushing from behind basically). At the top I used a pair of plastic washers under the plate where the screws go in.
The whole setup required some tinkering and it was not as nice and plug and play as my BMWs which have nice plate brackets and stuff but I am happy with the result so far.

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Now if you stick something like a padded pad or whatever to the underside of the plate that will rub against the paint/vinyl so that is not good (accumulating dirt plus vibrations will make a mess). I ended up finding some thick soft pads that I stuck to the car the lowest I could but still under the plate. That way if the glue is vinyl safe - which it is - you will have the plate kept at a 1/8" or so distance from the paint and vinyl. The plate frame is also kept away by the plate itself (which is pushing from behind basically). At the top I used a pair of plastic washers under the plate where the screws go in.
The whole setup required some tinkering and it was not as nice and plug and play as my BMWs which have nice plate brackets and stuff but I am happy with the result so far.
Ya, exactly. Sticking something to the plate itself will just rub on the paint when dirt gets under it. I agree I could screw the plate to the bumper and then stick a couple of rubber stoppers to the bumper to stop the bottom of the plate from rubbing the paint. It's a good idea, but if anyone has found a bracket that mounts up the the back, I would obviously go that route.

R

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
I used some stick on felt pads that go on the bottom of furniture legs. Super cheap and works perfect.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I got some thick walled plastic washers, that fit to the mounting holes on the top. This keeps the plate off the paint. I also added small rubber bumpers to the lower back corners just in case but they stay off the paint by a few mm (because of the aforementioned plastic washers).

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I got some thick walled plastic washers, that fit to the mounting holes on the top. This keeps the plate off the paint. I also added small rubber bumpers to the lower back corners just in case but they stay off the paint by a few mm (because of the aforementioned plastic washers).
Hmm. I like this idea...

Similar to what others are doing. Plastic washers from Home Depot? You happen to have a part no? lol

Are these plumbing or was it in the hardware with the screws and stuff?

R

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hmm. I like this idea...

Similar to what others are doing. Plastic washers from Home Depot? You happen to have a part no? lol

Are these plumbing or was it in the hardware with the screws and stuff?

R
Home Depot/Lowes, any hardware store. In the hardware section. Small packet of whitish plastic washers for the top screws. Check back later, I'll see if I can find the bag and I'll post a pic.

I took my plate off when I stored it for the winter- the plate area remains pristine :D

Good luck CHM :cheers:

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Home Depot/Lowes, any hardware store. In the hardware section. Small packet of whitish plastic washers for the top screws. Check back later, I'll see if I can find the bag and I'll post a pic.

I took my plate off when I stored it for the winter- the plate area remains pristine :D

Good luck CHM :cheers:
Awesome, thanks Tank. A pic would be great but if you can't find em, I'll just wander around home depot...

I'm not sure how it is in the states, but the selection of small hardware in home depot and even lowes is lacking. I've had to go to the specialty shops to get what I want. ...especially stainless stuff.

R

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I made brackets like this for people when I was in car audio so their license plates didn't bounce off of their trunk door with all the BASS. Easy to do but you gotta screw through the paint so might as well just use some window seal foam.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Here, it is very dependent on the store itself. Some are better than the others.

BTW, while plastic washers are important to put them under the plate, you will still need some bumpers, pads whatever under the lower side of the plate just in case. Good luck!

Last edited:

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
I encountered the same thing. I used a silicone rubbber pad from Home Depot. These are used on cabinet doors to keep them from banging into the cabinet. Various diameters are available. I used one in the center bottom of the plate located right between the stripes. My plate is bowed a bit, so one in the middle is fine. You may need one at each bottom corner. Yes, it will probably wear the paint, but it will be behind the plate. It's unlikely to damage the stripes and cause them to start peeling. I have NOT drilled my front bumper for a plate! That would make me ill . . . .

blueboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I used foam weatherstrip and I contoured the plate the curve of the facia as well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I bought a rubber gasket used to prevent water from getting inside your house when you have to perforate the roof for a vent. I cut the rubber gasket just slightly smaller than the license plate and mounted it behind the plate.
Sponsored