Sponsored

Driveline Vibration

Richiet9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Automatic 5.0 Mustang GT
Greetings how are all of you?.... I'm new to the Forum... I wanted to chat with you guys about the Driveline vibration happening on the S550 platform... I'm sure there's a thread already out there if so I haven't been able to find it...Question is there anybody out there that can help me with this issue. Because my car has been to the dealer twice now they've brought their own Engineers from Ford and they haven't been able to find the problem they replaced my drive shaft,,, they also replaced my half shafts,,,, they've also rotated the drive shaft 180 degrees ....they also change my rims and tires twice and the last Ford engineer that came down is telling me that is regular normal operation for the S550 2015 2016 Mustangs... I have been a mechanic for years I don't see why a car with 600 miles on the odometer is having this issue...
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Try to shim the front mounts of the IRS Subframe down about 1/2" and see if it helps.

Just put 1/2" thick worth of washers, etc there.

It is worth a shot ;)

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This seems to be a very common problem among S550 owners including myself. I have had my driveshaft replaced and differential and nothing! Altho I do not get much of a vibration but the humming noise at 65MPH is extremely annoying

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Steeda PP, Competition Orange,
@Steeda has some IRS Subframe braces that removed the drivetrain slack from my 2015 GT. you might want to give them a try.

OP
OP
Richiet9

Richiet9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Automatic 5.0 Mustang GT
Thank you gentlemen.... I'm very open to suggestions I'm willing to try anything

Sponsored

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
Has anyone had any success with Lemon Laws on this issue?

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Try my recommendation.

I have had success doing so.

These cars have awkward driveline angles...then combine that with the rear bushings sagging, makes it even worse.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Check out the thread Redcruzer posted. Replacing my driveshaft helped, but most seem to have had success replacing the transmission output flange.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check out the thread Redcruzer posted. Replacing my driveshaft helped, but most seem to have had success replacing the transmission output flange.
Yes, check out that thread - I've put a lot of info into that thread to help others with the damn driveline vibe. I even put the entire dialog in there that was between my Ford Service Center and the Ford Engineering Team - Ford Engineer even went to my Dealer as well...

It IS an issue - and it's such an issue that it was even mentioned in the documentary "A Faster Horse" and Consumer Reports reported that is was an issue in their October 2015 article...

Many of us are wondering why going into MY 2017 there has not been a TSB issued yet.

Before taking your ride in it your local Dealer - get the issue elevated here first with DEYSHA - she will create a Case for you, which will be a "nudge" to your Dealer that it has already been elevated to where they must concentrate their efforts on satisfying the Customer with a resolution.

That thread is very long - BUT holds A LOT of very good tech and discussion.

Don't back down from your Dealer and it is NOT a normal condition of the S550 platform at all... Anyone who says it is has their head up their ass.

Sponsored

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I'm starting to notice it a little at approximately 60-70mph as well now. I figure I'll take care of it when I do the supercharger as that's probably when I'm going to a single aluminum driveshaft, Ford racing half shafts and aftermarket exhaust. Perfect opportunity to replace/adjust any brackets, etc.

Would be really nice if they eventually arrive at "the cause" before I get around to it. Seem to be a number of theories.

Best,

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Don't back down from your Dealer and it is NOT a normal condition of the S550 platform at all... Anyone who says it is has their head up their ass.
I totally agree. Ive had a ford engineer even say to me its a normal noise and that all the mustangs he has driven make the noise. Pretty pathetic if you ask me . Ive opened up a case with ford and that has got me nowhere as well, as the ford rep told me over the phone, the final call is made by the ford engineer , if he says the noise is normal no other repairs can be made. :frusty:

Right now my only other option is to bring it to another dealer which is just gonna be a waste of time , Ive already been without my mustang for three weeks and I cant go again that long without a vehicle as its my daily driver.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
Ive already been without my mustang for three weeks and I cant go again that long without a vehicle as its my daily driver.
It doesn't annoy me nearly enough (not much at all, actually) for me to give up the car for any amount of time...which is why I'll just deal with it myself when I'm satisfied that a root cause has been determined with any degree of certainty.

When you consider how much your time is worth, how many minutes are you willing to waste at a dealer? For me, that's ZERO minutes. How much time would I want to be without my favorite DD ride for what I consider a minor nuisance? Again, that's ZERO time.

Life's too short.

Best,

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
How all of you guys on this site can praise & defend the S550 Mustang,is beyond me,the Q/C from A-Z is just plain terrible, NO other Mustang from 1965-2014 has had the problems and POOR build design as this vehicle has had,and from the looks of it Ford has no fix for there F" up.Everyone is all excited about the Big numbers of S550 Mustangs, sold here and around the world,and how they beat Maros & Challangers, what a sad day for Ford & the S550 Owners, that the Mustang Name has not only been tarnished here in the USA, but also around the world as well.I am a Mustang owner,and have owned many Mustangs,and also was around to see and drive 1965 2+2,the S550 is a HUGE disappointment to the Mustang faithfull.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
It doesn't annoy me nearly enough (not much at all, actually) for me to give up the car for any amount of time...which is why I'll just deal with it myself when I'm satisfied that a root cause has been determined with any degree of certainty.

When you consider how much your time is worth, how many minutes are you willing to waste at a dealer? For me, that's ZERO minutes. How much time would I want to be without my favorite DD ride for what I consider a minor nuisance? Again, that's ZERO time.

Life's too short.

Best,
I can relate to this as well. I sensed the humming at 60+ the other day but pushed it off as prob tire/road noise. I came from a 2013 Wrangler with a lift and 35s. What ever vibs or harmonics this car may be experiencing pales in comparison to what I felt at 60 in that thing. Guess I got lucky in that.
Sponsored