HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Was looking for instructions to remove the mirror covers and came up with the posts below. But they don't make sense because they can't both be right. Anyone know how to remove the covers? Searched the forum and just found these and nothing in a web search which just pulled up other generations, or how to install overlays on top of the factory covers or how to remove the mirrors from the car, etc.. Nothing for how to remove the covers.

Mirror removal is straightforward. Tilt the mirror inwards, so that the edge of the mirror on the outside edge is sticking out a bit. Then stick your finger into the open space and pop the mirror straight out. The screws inside the mirror housing will then be apparent, and you can disassemble the mirror cover.
Just use your hands and standing behind the mirror place one hand here

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458314900.636294.jpg

and the other ready to catch it and pull towards your belly and it pops right off. Just did it last week.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks. Did not see that one. My searches used "cover" not "cap". Definitely helps.

But its still not clear if there is a screw. Some say yes, others say no. I wonder if the BLIS mirrors have a different cover and different removal than the non-BLIS mirrors. Mine are BLIS, BTW. Or maybe people are just ripping the cap off the screw and relying on the tabs to hold it on when re-installed.

But I may be able to kick this can down the road. I needed the covers off so I can have them painted to match some stripes I'm having painted on. But it might make more sense to buy new covers and have those painted. Would be bad to damage the factory covers removing them to be painted because that would mean I wouldn't have a set to be painted "for free".

AgentAlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
But its still not clear if there is a screw. Some say yes, others say no. I wonder if the BLIS mirrors have a different cover and different removal than the non-BLIS mirrors. Mine are BLIS, BTW. Or maybe people are just ripping the cap off the screw and relying on the tabs to hold it on when re-installed.
The BLIS mirror caps definitely do not have any screws holding them on. I've taken mine off several times by pulling without any issues.

41836973675_b45d332cef_b.jpg

27867648007_d490b67732_b.jpg

42019317654_944d76f41e_b.jpg

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The BLIS mirror caps definitely do not have any screws holding them on. I've taken mine off several times by pulling without any issues.
Awesome! Thanks. I guess it will remain a mystery why some mirrors have a screw. Or maybe none do and people saying that were basing it on the service manual which mentions one rather than first hand experience. Or maybe Ford planned to have a screw but never did or dropped it at some point.

Your pictures are great for showing the tabs. Since you've done it a few times, do you have any advice on where to grab and how to pull to pop them off?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
[MENTION=19673]AgentAlex[/MENTION]

Since you have removed yours a few times, when reinstalling the cap back on, does it still seal well where it meets the black edging of the mirror assembly?

Are those little pins on the cap at the edge bottom corners where it would meet the black edging?

Thanks for the photos, defintley helps me more with my question in the other thread.

AgentAlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Since you've done it a few times, do you have any advice on where to grab and how to pull to pop them off?
I would grab the edge closest to the door and pull straight out towards the front of the car with your hands. Then do the other side. I tried using trim removal tools the first time I did it, but that just ended up chipping the paint in one spot. It's one of those things where you feel like you're going to break it, but it will be fine.

Since you have removed yours a few times, when reinstalling the cap back on, does it still seal well where it meets the black edging of the mirror assembly?

Are those little pins on the cap at the edge bottom corners where it would meet the black edging?

Thanks for the photos, defintley helps me more with my question in the other thread.
It looks like it seals to me.

27869477107_69ba7a3d8b_b.jpg

28864971128_f62a544da9_b.jpg

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
It does feel like it's going to snap, but it shouldn't. Just pull with steady and even force towards the front of the car. Like [MENTION=19673]AgentAlex[/MENTION] said.

Also, no screw. Just tabs.

When putting it back on, it does snap back on and sits flat. Make sure if you are wrapping it with vinyl, that the vinyl is perfectly flat in the seam. I had a few wrinkles and it refused to snap back on the car until I trimmed them off.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
It does feel like it's going to snap, but it shouldn't. Just pull with steady and even force towards the front of the car. Like [MENTION=19673]AgentAlex[/MENTION] said.

Also, no screw. Just tabs.

When putting it back on, it does snap back on and sits flat. Make sure if you are wrapping it with vinyl, that the vinyl is perfectly flat in the seam. I had a few wrinkles and it refused to snap back on the car until I trimmed them off.

I have the BLIS Mirrors, and had my mirror hit by another car, the bottom bit flew out, and I also lost the Pony P lamp. Only noticed it, when I parked up. Drove back to where it happened, did not sound that bad at the time. managed two find the bottom plate, which had a broken tag. Had to buy a new lamp. Was told that they don't make the bottom plate, I would have to buy a new unit. So thank god I found the plate. Just put a bit of glue on it, and its fine. and lucky the interior workings were fine

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That is not how you remove the caps.

If you look at the tabs closely (in the above pic), you can clearly see how the engineered it to be taken off. There is even a little place to insert the plastic tool to release the bottom tab, and you swing the cap upwards off the other 3 tabs.

But, if you grab the cap from the underside (near the window) and pry/pull/peal forward, it should just pop off and you can lift up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That is not how you remove the caps.

If you look at the tabs closely (in the above pic), you can clearly see how the engineered it to be taken off. There is even a little place to insert the plastic tool to release the bottom tab, and you swing the cap upwards off the other 3 tabs.
The bottom tab looks like it has a buttress to keep it from flexing. So do you think you use a tool to push whatever that tab is hooked on rather than pull down on the tab itself?

28864971128_f62a544da9_b.jpg

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Correct, the tab won't flex, but you don't pull down on the tab, you pry the cap's plastic upwards. Allowing the tab to snap out.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Correct, the tab won't flex, but you don't pull down on the tab, you pry the cap's plastic upwards. Allowing the tab to snap out.
I'm thinking you mean pry the cap plastic downward nearest the tab and the tab moves with it. But if not I'm too dense to figure this out. LoL

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Sent you a PM, but you end up pulling up, to flex the plastic housing upwards, off the hinge point of the tab. You are not actually prying the tab, you are flexing the cap housing.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Am finally getting the paint done next week so pulled the caps.

The driver side (US) came off fairly easy per methods in earlier posts and PM. The passenger side took a LOT more effort which I suspect is related to differences in the passenger cap. I don't know how it came off without breaking off two hooks in the center and am not really sure how they can be re-engaged later.The hooks are thin so flexible enough to not break when the cap was pulled off. Since there were no hooks on the driver side, I can't really see what purpose they serve.

WP_20180813_09_52_09_Rich_crop.jpg
WP_20180813_13_49_22_Rich_crop.jpg
Sponsored