1,200 mile 18 gt engine noise

Czs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 10r80 GT, Lightning Blue
Have a tick noise that sounds like the bbq tick. Noise starts to occur after about a minute of running, what do you guys think?

[ame]https://vimeo.com/276045667[/ame]

[ame]https://vimeo.com/276045737[/ame]

[ame]https://vimeo.com/276045696[/ame]
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
BaD GAS PLUGS who the F knows .... go get on it dawg yer carboned up ....

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Change the oil and also check to see if you have any pending misfire codes. A couple times it sounded like rod knock but if that was the case it would be a constant steady noise. Direct injection motors run really dirty and push fuel into the oil. I'm thinking changing the oil will help.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Change the oil and also check to see if you have any pending misfire codes. A couple times it sounded like rod knock but if that was the case it would be a constant steady noise. Direct injection motors run really dirty and push fuel into the oil. I'm thinking changing the oil will help.
Dual fuel engines shouldn't build up carbon any quicker than PFI. Gas in oil would be oil dilution, and easily found via oil analysis. It is very unlikely someone would see oil dilution after only 1200 miles. The tick seems to be one of the more common issues in these new engines, and may or may not be leading to a mechanical failure.

OP
OP
Czs550

Czs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 10r80 GT, Lightning Blue
Mine is exactly the same way. Does it on cold starts then goes away after a few minutes.

Same here its just annoying, spend 40k on a vehicle and this happens.. just unacceptable

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Same here its just annoying, spend 40k on a vehicle and this happens.. just unacceptable
I have it as well. I had a 17 GT with the prior generation 5.0. This new noise was not present on that power plant. Its still currently on original factory oil. Just scheduled my first oil change at the dealership. My GT has slightly over 600 miles now.

Last edited:

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Dual fuel engines shouldn't build up carbon any quicker than PFI. Gas in oil would be oil dilution, and easily found via oil analysis. It is very unlikely someone would see oil dilution after only 1200 miles. The tick seems to be one of the more common issues in these new engines, and may or may not be leading to a mechanical failure.
Does that mean all cars with a tick have to be checked out?

Sponsored

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
I just want to chime in on this, from a non technical perspective. If there are no CEL codes , no WRENCH, no loss of power etc .Decide as the individual owner if a dealership visit is needed. I have decided for myself not to have it checked. If it needs the tow & is still under WARRANTY, for sure off to the dealer. I have owned seven Mustangs over the years . Two S197 supercharged & modified extensively. ***I am not stating that it is not an issue by no means.*** Then again with this new direct injection design, it just might be how Ford engineering designed this power plant. New cars on the dealerships lots have this noise,including late 2018 production cars .I have also heard this noise on the F150 as well.Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
I have the same exact sound. It doesnt do it always at idle. I can replicate most of the time at 1500rpm with very low throttle.
[ame]
dont wanna flood the topic with other videos. you can see other videos here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn4W8Dhr70qdFVknfSHvAYA?view_as=subscriber

I left it to the dealer for 10days, they just waited to hear back from ford. I was impatient and picked the car back. not planning to drop it again till they figure it out.
like every body says, there is no performance issue.
mine started after the first oil change at 1200miles. I might do early oil change at 2000miles to see if it is gonna change anything.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
No, not really. There is some mild correlation between the noise and a few mechanical failures, but we don’t have solid causation yet.
Sponsored