Sponsored

Cold air intakes

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Hi lve been considering CAI that doesn't need a tune. I was looking at the Roush and considered getting one. After doing some researching on the forum im now not sure if its worth even getting one, regardless of brand. What options have some of the guys on here gone with. Thanks :cheers:
Sponsored

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Hey mate, there is a lot of useful info on this forum about CAI... blue power do a really good CAI that doesn't require a tune and give you extra KW’s, better throttle response and greater fuel efficiency. There well priced and look great. The good thing about this CAI is it's designed for Australian climate. Give Chris or theo a bell, there awesome guys to talk to and will give you honest info.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ange
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, Magnetic Grey
I have the Harrop C/A intake without tune and roush exhaust and definitely feel the difference. Also you can hear the slight whistle from air sucking in. Also looks awesome.
20171103_184229_resized.jpg

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Thanks. I've read that there could be heat soak issues with open top CIAs is this actually a problem

Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Thanks. I've read that there could be heat soak issues with open top CIAs is this actually a problem
The problem with a lot of pod style filters is they're sitting in the open engine bay and therefore drawing the hot air that's in the engine bay so they can be worse than the OEM set up which is always boxed and the actual intake is usually near the front where the air is cooler.

If you get one that has a closed off section of the engine bay and seals against the bonnet they're generally better. They're closed off from the hot engine bay more, generally positioned to get a clean intake of air from outside the engine bay and flow better than OEM.

So the theory goes at least.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think what Ange is saying above is "watch out for setups that utilise an alloy MAF housing” but I'm reading between the lines a bit.
He's right, they CAN get hot and send false info to the temp sensor. However, a well made alloy MAF housing is the very reason that companies like Lund suggest using the PMAS (the alloy housing allows the fuel trims to be absolutely spot on, as opposed to the variations that exist in plastics).
On a more or less stock vehicle, you're probably better off with a closed top box.
As your demand for air grows, you'll eventually need to go to an open top like the latest design from PMAS, because they allow the engine to draw air from inside the guard as well as the normal location (eg. The factory snorkel leading to the front of the vehicle has been identified as a choke point when you're flowing enough lbs/min, the GT350 uses a larger snorkel for this reason)
Hope some of that makes sense.

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
I just added a K&N panel filter in the standard air box as it is cheap and I was also unsure if a CAI is worth it without a tune. Not sure it really does anything but the advertised flow is up over a standard panel filter.

I had my car on the dyno with a bunch of others in June and mine made around 4kw more than the next car with a cat back exhaust mod. Could be the filter, could be the exhaust or just or something else who knows? In the end you may not see or feel a noticeable difference without a tune.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just added a K&N panel filter in the standard air box as it is cheap and I was also unsure if a CAI is worth it without a tune. Not sure it really does anything but the advertised flow is up over a standard panel filter.

I had my car on the dyno with a bunch of others in June and mine made around 4kw more than the next car with a cat back exhaust mod. Could be the filter, could be the exhaust or just or something else who knows? In the end you may not see or feel a noticeable difference without a tune.
Lund did some dyno testing recently on the 2018. Complete removal of the stock air filter added 5rwhp. Call it 5kw's at the flywheel. Near enough.

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
I went with the Steeda no tune, has a removable restrictor so once warranty is up I can take it out and have a Tune. To me It's made a difference . The engine sounds much nicer and it certainly compliments my Corsa Extreme Catback exhaust !!!
Can't wait to see what will happen as and when I get a Tune.

Sponsored

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I think what Ange is saying above is "watch out for setups that utilise an alloy MAF housing” but I'm reading between the lines a bit.
He's right, they CAN get hot and send false info to the temp sensor. However, a well made alloy MAF housing is the very reason that companies like Lund suggest using the PMAS (the alloy housing allows the fuel trims to be absolutely spot on, as opposed to the variations that exist in plastics).
On a more or less stock vehicle, you're probably better off with a closed top box.
As your demand for air grows, you'll eventually need to go to an open top like the latest design from PMAS, because they allow the engine to draw air from inside the guard as well as the normal location (eg. The factory snorkel leading to the front of the vehicle has been identified as a choke point when you're flowing enough lbs/min, the GT350 uses a larger snorkel for this reason)
Hope some of that makes sense.
Adding to burkeys comments , a closed box is the way to go , I have an injen Cai without a tune . Absolutely no change in inlet air temps from the stock box

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Am i right in thinking that open CIAs are illegal in most AUS states?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Am i right in thinking that open CIAs are illegal in most AUS states?
Correct. I think at a certain point you stop caring...:shrug:
A loud exhaust isn't exactly within spec either :lol:

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Correct. I think at a certain point you stop caring...:shrug:
A loud exhaust isn't exactly within spec either :lol:
There are plenty of closed CAIs available. Best to just go with one of them? Unless you must have big induction roar.

Def

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
Heat soak is a definite issue with the PMAS setup, but its much the same with any alloy maf housed unit. Ive had (still have but not fitted currently) the PMAS unit which reached 87ish degrees in Sydneys horrendous start/stop traffic while my Mishimoto closed unit peaks at 70ish in the same traffic. For comparison stock intake with K&N filter tops out around 40 degrees.

I would suggest whatever option you go with to invest in some heat reflective tape.
Sponsored