Sponsored

Front Seat Modification Repair Help - Lumbar

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
Hi,

My new Ecoboost with the electric lumbar seat is very uncomfortable for me personally.

I am going to remove the lumbar support somehow.

Has anyone done this or even removed the seat cloth to access?

If anyone has instructions or a DYI on how to do that I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

Fred
Sponsored

Last edited:

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Why would you remove it? If you put it all the way flat you can't feel it at all.. I don't get it.

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You personally may not feel it, but it's like a 2x4 in my back. We all have different shapes.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your seat (or your spine :D) must be different then.. when I put mine all the way in I feel like I sink into the seat.. feels exactly the same as the passenger seat which doesn't have the Lumbar thingy.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
If you can feel the lumbar support at the lowest setting, let alone be bothered that much by it....could there possibly be something wrong with your seat? Did you notice this problem when you test-drove the vehicle before buying it? If you haven't tried, at least go back to your dealer and sit in another Mustang's driver seat and test it out or something before you go spelunking into your seat.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Why would you remove it? If you put it all the way flat you can't feel it at all.. I don't get it.
Actually, with it all the way flat, its still not completely flat. I am the kind of person that don't like lumbar support.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify, mine is a base with cloth seats.. mine sits flat as hell.. concave even.. I sink into it without Lumbar support, I need a rope to pull myself out of it.. it's like a vortex sucking me into it's epicenter! :D

Sponsored
OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those interested.

I spent an hour gaining access to the lumbar adjustment in the seat. This meant disconnecting two serial cables and gaining access through the upholstery in back.

There is a cable (similar to a throttle cable) connected to a small electric motor that increases and or decreases the tension on the lumbar.

I simply unhooked that cable on each side of the mounting point, which in turn completely reduced the tension that was resulting in the uncomfortable lumbar.

So thanks for the input. No new seat needed. The seat now functions similar to the passenger's side seat.

kccampro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance pkg
For those interested.

I simply unhooked that cable on each side of the mounting point, which in turn completely reduced the tension that was resulting in the uncomfortable lumbar.

So thanks for the input. No new seat needed. The seat now functions similar to the passenger's side seat.
Thanks for this info, the seat in my '15 GT is killing my lower back. I too am one of those guys who's back can't deal with lumbar so I'm going to follow this mod to see if I can fix my seat also. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this info, the seat in my '15 GT is killing my lower back. I too am one of those guys who's back can't deal with lumbar so I'm going to follow this mod to see if I can fix my seat also. Thanks for posting.
Do yourself and tape up your wrists and knuckles unless you want a large number of cuts due to the awkward and tight location you will be working in.

I counted 20 razor like cuts when finished!

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
For those interested.

I spent an hour gaining access to the lumbar adjustment in the seat. This meant disconnecting two serial cables and gaining access through the upholstery in back.
Did you notice if the assembly looked like it could be repositioned? I like lumbar support, but I'm tall enough that it hits too low for me to really make use of it. I'd love to shift it upwards a couple of inches.

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you notice if the assembly looked like it could be repositioned? I like lumbar support, but I'm tall enough that it hits too low for me to really make use of it. I'd love to shift it upwards a couple of inches.

I think that you could but it may require some drilling and full removal of the cloth (which I knew I did not have the skill to do). I did not want to remove the cloth piece given how hard it would be to re-fit.
Sponsored