Sponsored

Depressing Thread: How many have their GT350 tucked away for winter?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wow and here I am literally taking the gt350 when it snows even when i dont have to because it drives in snow so good!:)
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Wow and here I am literally taking the gt350 when it snows even when i dont have to because it drives in snow so good!:)
Enjoy! My favorite snow cars ever were my E28 535is and my E34 525 wagon with M30/5-speed swap. Balanced RWD cars with no traction control and winter tires are a blast. The E34 in particular was a beast with 53% rear weight bias.

But how many Rs have been built, ~1600 total? No way it is going in the salt and snow. My E28 M5 didn't either, nor does my 1600-2.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Enjoy! My favorite snow cars ever were my E28 535is and my E34 525 wagon with M30/5-speed swap. Balanced RWD cars with no traction control and winter tires are a blast. The E34 in particular was a beast with 53% rear weight bias.

But how many Rs have been built, ~1600 total? No way it is going in the salt and snow. My E28 M5 didn't either, nor does my 1600-2.
Mine is poor base TP GT350 so it doesnt matter:) if I had an R, I wouldnt do the snow thing:)

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
My Cup 2 tires don't mix well with snow. Plus where I live people freak the fuck out at 2 inches of snow. If Im going to get slid into to rear ended from a sliding car, i'll let the raptor take it

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
My Cup 2 tires don't mix well with snow. Plus where I live people freak the fuck out at 2 inches of snow. If Im going to get slid into to rear ended from a sliding car, i'll let the raptor take it
Same in NJ. I drove down a major suburban road last night during the snow and people were crawling 15 mph, some with flashers on. Took me 30 min to go 4 miles. No way I'd drive the GT350 in snow around here.

Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Cup2 tires dont even handle deep rain forget snow. Regular summer tires gt350 has, MPSS, cant handle snow even slush. They turn rock hard (literally) when its 45F.

I tried last year with my m5 to simply back out of my garage before snow started. Keep the car outsids (it was low 20s), it snowed for 2-3” and I couldnt literally get the car back in the garage. This was like 4-5’ between the hood and the door. I had to wait for snow to end, shovel the snow, and use ice melter around tires.

There was a video of an m5 in boston trying to literally go a few feet doing 2-3 mph and the guy couldnt and slided out of the road.

So no your cup 2 tires are of course not ok because even the more streetable regular pilot super sports are disasterous.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Same in NJ. I drove down a major suburban road last night during the snow and people were crawling 15 mph, some with flashers on. Took me 30 min to go 4 miles. No way I'd drive the GT350 in snow around here.
That statement is a bit misleading. Its not the car. Its the tires.

If you put cup 2 tires on a subaru impreza, you wouldnt be able to go anywhere.

You guys shouldnt decapitate gt350 because it comes with summer tires. It costs $1400 including mount and balance to convert the car into snow mobile.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
That statement is a bit misleading. Its not the car. Its the tires.

If you put cup 2 tires on a subaru impreza, you wouldnt be able to go anywhere.

You guys shouldnt decapitate gt350 because it comes with summer tires. It costs $1400 including mount and balance to convert the car into snow mobile.
Not sure what you are talking about. I wasn't making any statement about the GT350 other than I wouldn't drive it in snow regardless of what tires are on it, mainly due to the increased chance of getting hit by some Yahoo who has no clue how to drive in snow.

Yes, a GT350 with snow tires is driveable, but to claim/infer that it's as good as an AWD SUV is just silly.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not sure what you are talking about. I wasn't making any statement about the GT350 other than I wouldn't drive it in snow regardless of what tires are on it, mainly due to the increased chance of getting hit by some Yahoo who has no clue how to drive in snow.

Yes, a GT350 with snow tires is driveable, but to claim/infer that it's as good as an AWD SUV is just silly.
Its not silly at all. I dont think you have seen my shelby in snow thread. I beat hands on every top of the line SUV out there across every category (braking, cornering, going up steep hill) if they have all seasons and I have snow tires. I already embarrassed 2 of my neighbors (I wont name their car in case they read this:)). All this talk about SUVs this and that is funny. I m living example of how exaggarated the entire SUV mentality is.

Now if you are truly hardcore like you have an impreza/outback/wrangler with proper snow tires. Then hats off to you, you got the killer setup. But I have not met a single person where I live and I live among probably the best SUVs out there, the cheapest being X3, everyone has q7, suburban, gl, macan, cayenne here and not a single one person i spoke to (and I speak to a lot of people as people see a red mustang in snow they come marching with a WTF look on their face asking what am i doing) has snow tires on those cars. Its the typical upper class American consumer mentality. They want to buy the best SUV money can buy and just go. They cant be bothered with maintaining their car and changing tires how could they? If you hand them an oil bottle half of them would probably try to pour it on the engine like you pour olive oil on a salad (I have actually seen a person try to almost do this somewhere else before).

The only thing I will agree you are saying is someone else hitting the car and I take that risk because to me I can afford a 58k car as my only car in this fashion. Everything else you are saying I respectfully disagree.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Its not silly at all. I dont think you have seen my shelby in snow thread. I beat hands on every top of the line SUV out there across every category (braking, cornering, going up steep hill) if they have all seasons and I have snow tires. I already embarrassed 2 of my neighbors (I wont name their car in case they read this:)). All this talk about SUVs this and that is funny. I m living example of how exaggarated the entire SUV mentality is.

Now if you are truly hardcore like you have an impreza/outback/wrangler with proper snow tires. Then hats off to you, you got the killer setup. But I have not met a single person where I live and I live among probably the best SUVs out there, the cheapest being X3, everyone has q7, suburban, gl, macan, cayenne here and not a single one person i spoke to (and I speak to a lot of people as people see a red mustang in snow they come marching with a WTF look on their face asking what am i doing) has snow tires on those cars. Its the typical upper class American consumer mentality. They want to buy the best SUV money can buy and just go. They cant be bothered with maintaining their car and changing tires how could they? If you hand them an oil bottle half of them would probably try to pour it on the engine like you pour olive oil on a salad (I have actually seen a person try to almost do this somewhere else before).

The only thing I will agree you are saying is someone else hitting the car and I take that risk because to me I can afford a 58k car as my only car in this fashion. Everything else you are saying I respectfully disagree.
One word: physics

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Same tires: AWD beats RWD. Simple physics.
True, for launching. All cars use 4 tires to stop.

In practice, most car owners (including AWD cars) use all-season tires. A RWD car with winter tires will outperform virtually any car on all-season tires, and the inherent handling benefits of RWD are especially important in snow, where maintaining momentum even while sliding is critical. Will an Audi or Subie with snow tires do better than a Shelby with snow tires? Sure. But a Shelby with (narrow enough) snow tires will outperform the latte-drinking bozos with their all-seasons. More than once have I dug and pulled Jeeps out of snowbanks with a 1987 BMW 535i on snow tires. RWD, no electronic aids, just a non-idiot driver with the right tires.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Love the thrill of approaching a snowy corner at 15mph, cutting the wheel and balancing the car on the edge of adhesion! This car is sooo much fun in the snow :headbonk::crazy:

Mine is tucked away until a warm day (50 in winter) and clean roads. :D

Now if we were talking about a classic VW Beetle than what a blast driving that car in the snow. The weight on the rear wheels for good traction, power commensurate with the level of grip and small wheelbase entertains in the white stuff. Very fun.