OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Great, now I need to find a cheap ACM! I didn't see anything under $399 with HD Radio when I looked this morning.
Look for anything with an M suffix such as FR3T-19C107-MJ, FR3T-19C107-MB. Like I said in the post don't buy anything without a picture of the units label! I see a few on Car-Part Pro right now.
I wouldn't use eBay or Parts Farm, people think HD receivers are tied to NAV and jack up the prices. It's not true NAV has nothing to do with the ACM.

Bswor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 coupe, 06 saleen clone, 15 gt
If you have MFT the only thing you need to do besides removing the GPSM and adding a GPS antenna is to change out the hub to a HU5Z and add the JST connector I listed. Either make an adapter for a plug and play hub with the Molex connector or remove the wires from the hub and add the JST terminals
Gps antenna is not necessary if I'm not going nav or want the compass? Hu5z is only needed if I want apple car play or is it necessary since I'm going from MFT? And I still need to move pins around if I'm going from MFT? The ones in blue in your post?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored

Bswor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MFT to sync3

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Nothing to re-pin
Remove the MFT APIM
Install the Sync 3 APIM
Add the GPS Antenna It's $10-15 and keeps functionality
Adapt the HU5Z hub power supply wiring using one of the methods I discussed.

And please delete the post with MFT Media Module wiring!

Bswor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing to re-pin
Remove the MFT APIM
Install the Sync 3 APIM
Add the GPS Antenna It's $10-15 and keeps functionality
Adapt the HU5Z hub power supply wiring using one of the methods I discussed.

And please delete the post with MFT Media Module wiring!
Ok thanks for the information. Post was already deleted.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Not gonna lie, I just found this thread. That's what I get for not checking my mentions, lol.

I did the swap today. But I couldn't complete it because some items were missing... I am doing swap from Base to SYNC3 Non-NAV.

The 4.2 pin is different shape compare to APIM.
The GPSM pin is different shape compare to APIM as well.
USB connectors between the base SYNC and the SYNC3 APIM are different shape.
So, I need to get some pins and 2x mini-USB extension cables.

Few things I could not find...
HUB connector: I was not sure which one is HUB connector for the HUB1 and HUB4... BTW, APIM#38 already has wire.
ACM 6 & ACM 19: I wasn't sure which ones these are... I think I don't need these since my SYNC does not have Nav and SAT radio?

Even without these, SYNC 3 could turned on and played radio and CD. I cannot wait to complete this swap! I will keep you posted. :)

I ran into this same problem (the pins in the 4.2" screen connector and GPSM) being different. It wasn't clear to me that you couldn't just MOVE those pins from connector to connector, but you can't. This tidbit from the OP should help:

First you will need to order a dozen or so Tyco (aka TE) 1924955-1 terminals. You will also need some quality 22 ga wire in colors that make it easy for you to remember.
You will need to disassemble the 4.2" screen connector in order to access the rear video camera leads, I actually stripped the Tesa tape off of these wires all the way back to the "T" and simply removed the terminals that were on it and added the new APIM terminals so that I could route these wires into the APIM harness. I did the same with the MC-CAN, I'm OCD as fuck about wiring though sooooo
You will also need to unplug the GPSM and disassemble the connector for the medium speed CAN
In a pinch, I used Arduino header pins. They fit in the APIM connector, but the retention isn't great. I zip tied em to the other wires to make sure they stay in place. About 1000 miles later, so far so good.

Also, with regard to the USB, I used YCS Basics Black 6 Inch USB 2.0 USB Mini B Male to USB Mini B Female Cable for the two connectors behind the APIM. The side going into the APIM is verrrry snug with that particular SKU, but it does fit and work fine.

For the console, you'd need something like this: USB Mini B Male to USB Type A Male 6 inch

I haven't done the console yet, so if any of you find an SKU where the Mini B Male end fits the hub snugly, let us know!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Any recommendations on where and how to get that programmed? I have been waiting Months to tackle this myself, with this info I finally feel like I might be able to pull it all off
DIY!

Getchu an ODBLink MX Bluetooth, and make sure you have access to a Windows device with Bluetooth. Read up a little on general As-Built modding with FORScan, then sign up on the FORScan forum so you can get a free 2 month license for the software.

As a back-up plan, download your factory as-built file from the Motorcraft service site so you can revert to factory as-built if you screw anything up. The first time you open that link, you'll have to select a country/language. Then close the site and open it again, and you'll be asked to input a VIN. You can also find the VINs of other cars you want to try to grab features or ideas from and download their as-built from there, then compare them with your car's As-Built using As-Built Compare.

Once you're familiar with FORScan, take a look at the old S550 as-built spreadsheet, the new S550 as-built spreadsheet, as well as the 2015+ F150 Spreadsheet and 2nd gen Fusion spreadsheet. Keep in mind that some as-built mods will work across cars, some won't. For example the BCM tends to differ quite a bit between models in terms of which locations are used to store which things, but the ACM and APIM don't.

Finally, take a look at my post on the values I used for my Base 4.2" to Sync 3 swap. I used my original ACM.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It's not that bad. You honestly just have to be patient and work carefully, planning ahead and having everything in the car is crucial. Many fo the threads that discussed the swap left areas that were vague. I ran into the USB cable issue with my HU5Z hub.

I just ordered a new mic for my RTA, I will be testing the different EQ settings that are editable in FORScan. My audio right now is just a base system with the Premium ACM and APIM so it should be a good base.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You will need some Tyco 1924968-1 terminals if you want to add Sirius. These are needed because terminals 6 and 19 on the 26 pin ACM connector must be connected to terminals 51 and 52 on the APIM. This is a digital connection for Sirius control data.
Quick question, it's not possible that my TTS issue is due to these missing pins, right?

I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that I just need to tweak my as-built. But that's gotta wait, because I'm mounting wheels today :D then I've gotta do an oil change :shrug: then I have to do boring domestic stuff like laundry :mad:

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Quick question, it's not possible that my TTS issue is due to these missing pins, right?

I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that I just need to tweak my as-built. But that's gotta wait, because I'm mounting wheels today :D then I've gotta do an oil change :shrug: then I have to do boring domestic stuff like laundry :mad:
I have/had the same issue. But I haven't changed my ABD yet because I was out of town and waiting on the JST connector for the hub and the black USB cable. But I'll let you know later today. I'm headed to Parts Express for some install stuff and a new Dayton USB mic for REW.

Tino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
MFT Sync 2

What if im wanting to do the upgrade for Sync 2. Ive got everything but the harness. Im needing to do the re-wiring there. Would it be the same?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.