Tip for Install of Vanity LED's from Diode Dynamics

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT, 50th Anniversary, Ruby Red
I got all the LED's for my 2015 GT and decided today to install them. The installs went great for all of them with the exception of the small LEDs for the vanity's. In the video they show you how to pop off the plastic lens and then pop out the factory bulb. Then they warn you the install of the LED bulb is a little tight. That is an understatement. Also, if you can't get it to light up the first try, pull it out and rotate it 180 degrees to get the polarity right. Given getting the LED in there the first time is a nightmare, pulling it out and trying again was just not gonna happen. I literally went through 4 LED's (broke them trying to push them into the socket) before I gave up and went to the process outlined below. So here is my suggestion to everyone.
Remove the plastic lens cover which exposes the factory bulb and a phillips head screw.
Remove that factory bulb and the screw
Do the same thing on the other side.
Now pop the entire mirror/light plastic piece out off the vanity flap. Pull it from the center rear.
This now totally exposes the bulb sockets on both sides where you can easily insert the new LED's without fear of damaging them.
This whole process took about 1 minute longer, but it was so much easier.

One other thing Diode Dynamics doesn't warn you about but happened to me. If it takes you a while to change out any of these interior bulbs, the car power automatically shuts off the interior lights after a certain amount of time. So to correct it you have to reactivate the power by closing the door and reopen it. Idid all my work with the engine off and door open. I hope this is of some help to you guys. It made a lot of difference for me. Happy New Year all :cheers:
Sponsored

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
I got all the LED's for my 2015 GT and decided today to install them. The installs went great for all of them with the exception of the small LEDs for the vanity's. In the video they show you how to pop off the plastic lens and then pop out the factory bulb. Then they warn you the install of the LED bulb is a little tight. That is an understatement. Also, if you can't get it to light up the first try, pull it out and rotate it 180 degrees to get the polarity right. Given getting the LED in there the first time is a nightmare, pulling it out and trying again was just not gonna happen. I literally went through 4 LED's (broke them trying to push them into the socket) before I gave up and went to the process outlined below. So here is my suggestion to everyone.
Remove the plastic lens cover which exposes the factory bulb and a phillips head screw.
Remove that factory bulb and the screw
Do the same thing on the other side.
Now pop the entire mirror/light plastic piece out off the vanity flap. Pull it from the center rear.
This now totally exposes the bulb sockets on both sides where you can easily insert the new LED's without fear of damaging them.
This whole process took about 1 minute longer, but it was so much easier.

One other thing Diode Dynamics doesn't warn you about but happened to me. If it takes you a while to change out any of these interior bulbs, the car power automatically shuts off the interior lights after a certain amount of time. So to correct it you have to reactivate the power by closing the door and reopen it. Idid all my work with the engine off and door open. I hope this is of some help to you guys. It made a lot of difference for me. Happy New Year all :cheers:
I remember doing my full LED swap. Biggest pain in the ass was the glove box, believe it or not. Could not get the damn thing in properly. The vanity was the easiest for me. Haha, but damn do they look good. Totally worth it.

Do the front turn signal and marker lights! Makes the car so clean.

OP
OP
Ruby5.0

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT, 50th Anniversary, Ruby Red
No I didn't do the center console as I didn't know that was even an option. I haven't seen any LED's advertised by Diode Dynamics for that. If they come out with one, it would be something I would be interested in. When I did my glove box, I just dropped the entire glove box door down. All you do is squeeze in where the two rubber stops are and pull the door forward and it will open fully exposing the bulb and socket. As for the turn signals and marker lights, I did those first. You're right when you say it gives the car a nice clean look. Anyway, just wanted to offer those others that may not want to spend all that time trying to squeeze that LED into the socket in the vanity's. Trust me, removing the phillips head screw and the vanity assembly is much easier and almost as quick. Take care all and Happy New Year !

Steve44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP
I remember doing my full LED swap. Biggest pain in the ass was the glove box, believe it or not. Could not get the damn thing in properly. The vanity was the easiest for me. Haha, but damn do they look good. Totally worth it.

Do the front turn signal and marker lights! Makes the car so clean.
Too funny...I did my whole interior as well but had a real hard time with the glove box...still haven't figured it out :D
Sponsored