Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
So... You bought an auto... And want to put a manual shift knob on it...

Because there are so many options for manual shift knobs, and a lot of people like the look and/or rest their hand there often enough to want to try something different.

Sent from my iPad using Fingers

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
Scans as...

Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walk like a woman and talk like a man
Oh my Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola

That being said, having got this far, it is possible for the poster to get any of the hundreds of MT knob options that don't have a shift pattern on them.

DJ Red Barron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat / 1986 Buick GN
Sub'd as well.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I wonder if its possible to add toggle buttons on the shift knob so I can shift from both behind the steering wheel and on the shift knob?

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I wonder if its possible to add toggle buttons on the shift knob so I can shift from both behind the steering wheel and on the shift knob?
In theory, yes. You should be able to figure out the signals from the switch, and pair that to the corresponding wires in the steering column behind the clockspring.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Why replace the stock 6spd knob then either? Options- shape and color

Nothing wrong with an auto with a blank ball on it. I agree dont pretend it's a manual with a 6spd pattern on it though, but Im pretty sure that was just a test fit with parts lying around type of thing,

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I just ordered a kit from sickspeed. Its a metal collar that is held in place with a set screw. Then a larger metal shaft that slides over that and is spring loaded. You screw any knob to the top of that
So in theory this attaches to the post of the shifter with a set screw and has the spring loaded action (like the stock auto button) so you push down on the ball and it shifts?

Are you going to use the auto boot or a manual boot?

Plz post install and final look pics when you get it. Interested in this.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Why replace the stock 6spd knob then either? Options- shape and color

Nothing wrong with an auto with a blank ball on it. I agree dont pretend it's a manual with a 6spd pattern on it though.
I'm not saying I'm against changing it out, I just find it curious like you said when they put a manual pattern on.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm not saying I'm against changing it out, I just find it curious like you said when they put a manual pattern on.
Agree but I think that was just a test fit with parts the poster had on hand- proof of concept.

OP
OP
aggieStang

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang Coupe
So in theory this attaches to the post of the shifter with a set screw and has the spring loaded action (like the stock auto button) so you push down on the ball and it shifts?

Are you going to use the auto boot or a manual boot?

Plz post install and final look pics when you get it. Interested in this.
That is correct. The knob will push down to allow a shift. I may use the manual boot or just make a custom one. Havent decided yet but i will keep you posted.

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
The stock setup also has a spring loaded action. This is built into the mechanism and not the knob. Mine works just like a factory setup. Push down, shift, let go and it pops back up. Like others have said, I used this method to test my idea to see if it would work. I'm not trying to pass the car off as a manual. It's just that the factory auto shifter is flat out ugly and using the stock knob was the cheapest way to test it out.

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The stock setup also has a spring loaded action. This is built into the mechanism and not the knob. Mine works just like a factory setup. Push down, shift, let go and it pops back up. Like others have said, I used this method to test my idea to see if it would work. I'm not trying to pass the car off as a manual. It's just that the factory auto shifter is flat out ugly and using the stock knob was the cheapest way to test it out.
Keep up the good work :cheers:
Sponsored