Sponsored

How difficult is it to install MBRP catback yourself?

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
The main problem with my install was that the crummy clamps wouldn't hold the rear sections fast to the H pipe, so some tack welding was required. I would recommend buying better clamps. Disclaimer: my system was second hand.

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Like everyone says....easy. I take mine off frequently as I'm always trying different things. Now, when I take them off I leave them in one piece and only remove the rear most hangers, this leaves me the hangers at the IRS cradle to hang them in. Here's a pic. I've since modified mine, that's why the ends are cut off. You do NOT want to do this. This was my mod after I went to long tubes and keep everything 3" and it still wasn't necessary, just what I wanted.
I also upgraded my clamps, since I remove them frequently.
MBRP cat back.jpg

Infamous

President of Honda
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
The hardest part of the install is removing the stock catback, and that in itself is pretty easy.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
The hardest part of the install is removing the stock catback, and that in itself is pretty easy.
I agree the job is easy, let's start there. But we had the catback off in 10 minutes, and it probably took an hour total to be done. Did it backed onto ramps, in the driveway, with a helper.

Once you figure out the factory clamps, the catback is simple to remove. Drop the front, then wiggle it forward out of the rear hangers.

MBRP's clamps are not good. Get the wide band clamps from a local muffler shop. You need two, 3-inch clamps.

Mine is black and really benefitted from generous WD40 at the joints to get everything fully seated, and then to get the tips lined up and rotated correctly. That was by far the hardest part. Passenger side was a cinch, took about five minutes. Driver side didn't want to line up as well. After jiggling the h-pipe and fooling around for 20 minutes, we had it pretty well the same on both sides.

The sound of the system is quite harsh when it's new. It mellows quite a bit. Mine has 500 miles on it now and is MUCH better, less popping and rasp, plenty deep, but quiet on cruise above 1500 RPM. (Yes, it DOES drone, but only below 1500 RPM).

OP
OP
pietran30

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I
I agree the job is easy, let's start there. But we had the catback off in 10 minutes, and it probably took an hour total to be done. Did it backed onto ramps, in the driveway, with a helper.

Once you figure out the factory clamps, the catback is simple to remove. Drop the front, then wiggle it forward out of the rear hangers.

MBRP's clamps are not good. Get the wide band clamps from a local muffler shop. You need two, 3-inch clamps.

Mine is black and really benefitted from generous WD40 at the joints to get everything fully seated, and then to get the tips lined up and rotated correctly. That was by far the hardest part. Passenger side was a cinch, took about five minutes. Driver side didn't want to line up as well. After jiggling the h-pipe and fooling around for 20 minutes, we had it pretty well the same on both sides.

The sound of the system is quite harsh when it's new. It mellows quite a bit. Mine has 500 miles on it now and is MUCH better, less popping and rasp, plenty deep, but quiet on cruise above 1500 RPM. (Yes, it DOES drone, but only below 1500 RPM).
Yes, the driver's side was annoying lol. All in all it took us about 1 hr 45 minutes, but we took a short cruise with just open headers lol...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Sponsored