Sponsored

MBRP Street Exhaust too loud - reinstall resonator ??

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Despite being called street , this is aloud exhaust! I was very surprised when I first installed mine but have learned to love it and control how it goes from deep rumble to its pissed off crescendo when going wot. Perhaps it's more bearable or controllable with a manual and 3.73 gears. Mine has just a slight noise at highway speeds some might call it drone, to me it's what you get when you remove resonators and go 3" exhaust. Personally love mine , but it is aloud exhaust. If I ever change mine it will because of sound volume not tone.
I have the same exhaust. It is on the loud side lol. Especially in the morning on cold start. When I add headers, I will probably swap out the mufflers then. As for now, I like it the way it is.
Sponsored

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
I was in the same position; I bought the MBRP Street based on a lot of people saying there was zero drone. Well, I found the humming to be somewhat unpleasant and began seeking out ways to get rid of it. At first I considered J-pipes but ultimately it was not worth the investment.

I also took the car to two different exhaust shops and honestly...there's really no way to install resonators anywhere in the system without splitting the H-pipe. Most 3" bottle resonators are going to be at least 4" in diameter and there's not quite enough room between the pipes. If you did manage to shoehorn them in, there's a high probability of them rubbing/rattling.

It baffles me why people continue to regurgitate this "wrong gear" rhetoric - the engine is spinning 2K RPM at 70MPH in 6th gear unless you have the 3.73 gears. So, by that flawed logic, 6th gear is completely useless unless you're above 70MPH. I can think of only a handful of places in the US where the speed limit is over 70MPH.

I've now put about 2000mi on the system and I can honestly say two things: 1) the rasp calms down after the exhaust is broken in; and 2) the "drone" becomes livable. I'm not sure if the exhaust is louder now, like some people claim, but it does not seem "loud" anymore. It's far from stealthy but it is nice that you can modulate the volume with the throttle.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I was in the same position; I bought the MBRP Street based on a lot of people saying there was zero drone. Well, I found the humming to be somewhat unpleasant and began seeking out ways to get rid of it. At first I considered J-pipes but ultimately it was not worth the investment.

I also took the car to two different exhaust shops and honestly...there's really no way to install resonators anywhere in the system without splitting the H-pipe. Most 3" bottle resonators are going to be at least 4" in diameter and there's not quite enough room between the pipes. If you did manage to shoehorn them in, there's a high probability of them rubbing/rattling.

It baffles me why people continue to regurgitate this "wrong gear" rhetoric - the engine is spinning 2K RPM at 70MPH in 6th gear unless you have the 3.73 gears. So, by that flawed logic, 6th gear is completely useless unless you're above 70MPH. I can think of only a handful of places in the US where the speed limit is over 70MPH.

I've now put about 2000mi on the system and I can honestly say two things: 1) the rasp calms down after the exhaust is broken in; and 2) the "drone" becomes livable. I'm not sure if the exhaust is louder now, like some people claim, but it does not seem "loud" anymore. It's far from stealthy but it is nice that you can modulate the volume with the throttle.
You can either learn to drive a stick and understand RPMs and gearing or just put the stock system back on and stop being a cry baby about it.

watchdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp premium
To Op if I was going to change mufflers on the mbrp street I would look at the Gt500 mufflers. The sounded great on my 2012 with a h pipe and can be had pretty inexpensive.

Sponsored

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
To Op if I was going to change mufflers on the mbrp street I would look at the Gt500 mufflers. The sounded great on my 2012 with a h pipe and can be had pretty inexpensive.
I loved them on my 2013 as well...but they are 2.5" where the MBRP system is 3".

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
You can either learn to drive a stick and understand RPMs and gearing or just put the stock system back on and stop being a cry baby about it.
Care to elaborate? I can't figure out where he was wrong...

Do you drive in 5th gear at 70mph on the highway?

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
Care to elaborate? I can't figure out where he was wrong...

Do you drive in 5th gear at 70mph on the highway?
Actually I was wrong. 73MPH is 2K RPM. 5th at 70 is right at 3K. It's not a 4 cylinder so I don't think 6th gear was designed for 80mph and above.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
The way I drive I don't grab 6th til I'm over 70. The go pedal is mush <70 in 6th. Pulling 2K RPM in 6th..the thing is going to drone. Any system is going to drone. /The end.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The way I drive I don't grab 6th til I'm over 70. The go pedal is mush <70 in 6th. Pulling 2K RPM in 6th..the thing is going to drone. Any system is going to drone. /The end.
No drone with mine at all. I'm often below 2000rpm when cruising on the highway. And lol, at the 'learn to drive a stick' comment cause the guy is in 6th gear at highway speeds.

Sponsored

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
No drone with my MBRP Street Zero Zilch Nada. Why? Because I cut the crappy MBRP mufflers out and trashed them installed Magnaflows and bing bada boom!! Perfect exhaust if ya ask me.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
If you have to modulate the throttle to tone down the sound to where you can stand it, no thanks.

What sounds "good" is extremely subjective, but after reading a LOT of exhaust threads I noticed a trend. A number of people hate the volume and/or drone after cutting off the resonator and they try to find a fix, either by changing mufflers or by adding in a different resonator. It could very well be how ppl's cars are geared, since the "drone zone" is usually a narrow rpm band around 2k. My 3.73 car is a candidate for it at 70mph. Not sure it would work for you but consider an aftermarket resonator like the Borla. It is sold in their catback as well as a standalone. An X/H piped system is closer to a race exhaust and there will always be compromises in comfort, especially if you decide to bolt on headers. Again, the threshold of comfort is different between diff people.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If you have to modulate the throttle to tone down the sound to where you can stand it, no thanks.

What sounds "good" is extremely subjective, but after reading a LOT of exhaust threads I noticed a trend. A number of people hate the volume and/or drone after cutting off the resonator and they try to find a fix, either by changing mufflers or by adding in a different resonator. It could very well be how ppl's cars are geared, since the "drone zone" is usually a narrow rpm band around 2k. My 3.73 car is a candidate for it at 70mph. Not sure it would work for you but consider an aftermarket resonator like the Borla. It is sold in their catback as well as a standalone. An X/H piped system is closer to a race exhaust and there will always be compromises in comfort, especially if you decide to bolt on headers. Again, the threshold of comfort is different between diff people.
same here but no one else listens (pun intended)

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
same here but no one else listens (pun intended)
No one is doubting that if a system is going to drone, it will most likely do it in the 1700-2100rpm range.

What no one is listening to (and rightly so) is your rhetoric that:

1. All systems will drone.
2. If you are driving at highway speeds and your rpm is only at ~2000rpm, you need to learn to drive a stick.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Just because you can put the car in 6th gear @, 60mph, it doesn't stall and keeps going down the road, does NOT mean that that gear and RPM is appropriate.

/end of story children
Sponsored