Sponsored

Which transmission to replace MT82

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Hi guys,

I have my 2017 Mustang GT for 8 month now and I'm not really happy with the transmission, it is very clunky and not really smooth, it is basically the only thing that I don't like about the Mustang.

Are there any transmissions available for around $4,000 that are better than the MT82?
What else would I need to get the perfect transmission for the Mustang GT? Shortthrowshifter, Clutch, Driveshaft, differential?

Any recommendations?
Sponsored

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
I have a 6060 out of a gt500. That or a magnum xl are your best options. I have about $5k total in my swap.

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I just kind of accepted that it was different. It did smooth out after a thousand miles..
Not all transmissions feel the same. I tend to adjust to the machine and not expect the machine to adjust to me.
No problems with it so far.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I just kind of accepted that it was different. It did smooth out after a thousand miles..
Not all transmissions feel the same. I tend to adjust to the machine and not expect the machine to adjust to me.
No problems with it so far.
^^ this. Change the fluid and drive it a bit after a while its not bad at all.

Sponsored

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
With my only other manual car being a T5, I kinda like the MT82. I'm not sure how much it's going to like 700 RWHP here pretty soon but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Don't really want to go auto for a car that won't see much of a dragstrip.

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Do you feel like it is only clunking before the fluid is warm? I am in the camp of the mt82 being buttery smooth once the fluid is warm, otherwise the lurching is annoying when cold, but it goes away really quickly.

I am sure your warranty will be affected if you essentially change a significant portion of the drivetrain.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BG Syncroshift II and MGW will make it feel like a completely different transmission.

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury

Sponsored

codegrinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 OW PP GT (lemon buy back) 2018 Charger Hellcat
where are you guys grabbing the MGW from?

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Premium
So you guys recommend getting a short throw shifter and a fluid change?

Do you mean these products?

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-syncro-shift-ii/

https://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-hybrid3-flatstick-shifter-1517gt.html

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/103

Which short throw shifter is better?
I've had my GT for about 4 months and just last week put on the Barton Hybrid 3 shifter, completely different feel, and you won't be disappointed. It's actually quite glorious. And, I haven't even changed the fluid yet to the BG Fluid which I've heard everyone raving out, that will be next.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So you guys recommend getting a short throw shifter and a fluid change?

Do you mean these products?

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-syncro-shift-ii/

https://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-hybrid3-flatstick-shifter-1517gt.html

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/103

Which short throw shifter is better?
Get a BG Syncroshift II kit from [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] at opmustang.com. You'll get a pump and a marked cup for level.

As far as shifter? I've only driven the MGW between the two. I'm sure the Barton is nice as well. MGW has been amazingly supportive on the forum and to phone calls, and have a history of making incredibly high precision and quality parts for many industries. You probably can't go wrong with either, but make sure it's transmission mounted not body mounted (MGW is only transmission mounted).

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Get a BG Syncroshift II kit from [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] at opmustang.com. You'll get a pump and a marked cup for level.

As far as shifter? I've only driven the MGW between the two. I'm sure the Barton is nice as well. MGW has been amazingly supportive on the forum and to phone calls, and have a history of making incredibly high precision and quality parts for many industries. You probably can't go wrong with either, but make sure it's transmission mounted not body mounted (MGW is only transmission mounted).
Thanks guys, spring time will be mod time. :headbang:

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Fluid will definitely help (once it's warmed up) and a good shifter. I'm running a Barton hybrid 3 flat stick and could not be happier.
Sponsored