Sponsored

Wavy rocker panel below door

MK5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic
So I'm looking at my brand new 2017 mustang on a lift at the dealership and noticed a wavy look...bumpy look...when looking at the rocker panel from either the front or back. I also remember seeing the same thing on my 2016 gt that I just traded in. Don't have any pics right now but have any of you noticed the same thing with yours? You have to get down at the level of the panel and look down it to see...with light on it. I first thought that it was the weld points but even if that were true, why would ford leave it looking like that? This the the panel below the door with the door close, outside.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Cost.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That is just Fords way to remind you, when you get in or out of your Mustang, that there isn"t any QUALITY CONTROL on Mustangs anymore,it"s normal.:ford:

2016Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yes ! I'm glad someone else noticed this as well on their mustang. I noticed it a few weeks ago waxing my car, and for a second it looks like a re-paint job with bad bondo work. I looked at the other side and realized it was the same on both sides. So I figured it was normal , and now reading this thread, I guess I'm not the only one to notice it.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
dont you have a black plastic piece below the door, not metal?

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
dont you have a black plastic piece below the door, not metal?
What the OP is referring to is the thin painted panel below the door threshold, seen between the door (when its closed) and the black plastic side skirt.

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
My black 2016 shows that too.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
What the OP is referring to is the thin painted panel below the door threshold, seen between the door (when its closed) and the black plastic side skirt.
Mines pretty smooth. I've had cars that had very rough surface in that area almost like a teenagers face.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mines pretty smooth. I've had cars that had very rough surface in that area almost like a teenagers face.
Cellulite is what comes to mind and yes l have also seen this same condition on other cars l've owned.
If l think about it the next time l'm laying around on my garage floor l'll take a glance at mine.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Cellulite is what comes to mind and yes l have also seen this same condition on other cars l've owned.
If l think about it the next time l'm laying around on my garage floor l'll take a glance at mine.
Is this more like really pronounced orange peel? I've seen ford coat lower rockers with something else under the paint (presumably to help with stone chips) which causes this apearance. They've been doing this since the early 90s at least.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not looking so much like orange peel but I do know of the coating your talking about. More like an un-smooth/un-even wavy appearance.

This is a repair piece but still has the uneven look.
1583-108.png

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Not looking so much like orange peel but I do know of the coating your talking about. More like an un-smooth/un-even wavy appearance.

This is a repair piece but still has the uneven look.
I see what you're referring to here. That looks fundamental to the stamping.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So I'm looking at my brand new 2017 mustang on a lift at the dealership and noticed a wavy look...bumpy look...when looking at the rocker panel from either the front or back. I also remember seeing the same thing on my 2016 gt that I just traded in. Don't have any pics right now but have any of you noticed the same thing with yours? You have to get down at the level of the panel and look down it to see...with light on it. I first thought that it was the weld points but even if that were true, why would ford leave it looking like that? This the the panel below the door with the door close, outside.
I think the piece you are talking about is not metal, so it's probably normal that it's not super perfect and smooth, and may vary from car to car. It's in a location you won't even notice unless you are inspecting it like you are.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Is this more like really pronounced orange peel? I've seen ford coat lower rockers with something else under the paint (presumably to help with stone chips) which causes this apearance. They've been doing this since the early 90s at least.
It's not uncommon they forgot to sand down one part for painting.
My previous magnetic had a place that had some sand marks.
Sponsored