Sponsored

Neighbors, coworkers, family after buying a new car...

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
(CALM DOWN BRO..., no it doesn't bother me to affect my life, just enough to make a thread on a car forum because I am bored. I'm good, thanks for your concern though)

Who else gets aggravated with the stupid comments and attention you get after buying a new car? Yes, I go through cars every few years because I am a car guy and I like to try new cars... is it an expensive hobby to have, yep? Is it a stupid hobby to have over something like say.., planting fucking flowers in dirt... nope.

Before I got the Kona Blue car I have I was seriously only looking to buy a white car just so most of the non-mustang people even noticed. A low key purchase per-say. Although half of the people asked if I got my last one painted...

But to the topic of the thread, I have many coworkers that ALWAYS make some sort of stupid comment every year I pull up in a new car..

• "ANOTHER NEW CAR?!!"
  • "Man, you can't keep a car can you?"
  • "Wow, you have a problem!"
  • "This is like the "X" number car you've had since I worked here"
  • "I've had my car for "X" amount of years and you've already had 'this many'"
  • "You must always be in debt"

I could continue to list more. I literally had 2 coworkers that I walked out with just to talk while they sucked on their vape junk that they spend hundreds of dollars on upgrading. They were like "we were just trying to figure out how many cars you had the other day". "You've had like 7 cars since I've been here". They were even counting my DD I've had. Yes, yes, yep. I get it. You don't see cars the same way I do nor do you enjoy it. The guy has a 05 GTO that he NEVER gets on. He drives like an old granpa when I have rode with him a few years back.

The other year I purchased my used (15k miles) 2012 WRX. It was the first "fun" car I had ever owned. I finally separated from my ex and didn't have anyone to answer to. Then a year later I got the new 2015 WRX because it was new, and mine from the beginning. As soon as I pull up to my driveway, I shit you not, like 4 different houses of neighbors walk over to "look at it" even though they aren't car people. But it was mostly the same shit "didn't you just get your other one?..." bla, bla, bla..

I let one of my coworkers take it for a drive yesterday and when she came back she was ear to ear smiles and my past manager from my last position asked why she was so giddy and she told him I let her drive my new car and he loudly across the floor "Rich, you got ANOTHER NEW CAR... MAN, you have a problem!! And you could hear other people chattering after that". Like I know the difference between people just busting balls, but I consider my purchases kind of my business just like my salary and would like to keep it as low key as possible at work because as we can already tell, people get envious.

I grew up poor as shit, and I mean bouncing from home to home, living in little truck campers, trailer parks, bum ass hand me down shit. I grew up with one goal which was to not live that way and to not have my kids grow up that way as it's literally a psychological changer. I also was a kid since grade school who carried the Lamborghini Countach trapper keeps, or the old school Porsche 911s. I sat in class drawing hot rods with flames shooting from the wheels. I watched the scene from SpeedZone where the Lamborghini was running from the police OVER and OVER, rewinding the VHS. Played the shit out of Outrun in the arcade. RadRacer on Nintendo, Pole Position on the Atari (now I am really showing my age). But my mom drove junk as cars and I never got to live my dreams.

Now that I have built myself to a position in life to at least buy the lesser of the cars that I would really love to own, but are still very nice and fun cars, I like to buy the cars I've wanted as a growing 20 year old which were Subarus and Mustangs.

There's a story behind every reason why someone does something. Stop judging people on how they spend money. I am a single income and full time single dad who does nothing but work and focus on my son with a little side time enjoying something. I have a constant roof over my head. I always have food, clothes and my kid is well beyond taken care of an has been on Honor roll since he was in a high enough grade to get it. I'm good. Even if I have a high car payment that is double or triple than what you pay, I'll be OK.

Ya, so happy friday! LOL
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My friend just gave me shit this morning for getting rid of my 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring for a 2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T. I just ignore it. I had the money to do it and I really like the new Accord. We all have one life to live so enjoy it while you can.

For what it's worth, I have 0 credit card debt.

JinNTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium Fastback
Lol I get this crap all the time too, and if it isn't buying a new car it's adding something to it. Every time I'd add something to the Jeep I'd get the "didn't you just put new wheels and tires on last week too?" or "How much have you spent on this thing?". I always just respond with a "Yup!" or "Not enough yet!". After getting the Mustang I got several comments yesterday like this convo:
"Wow you traded your Jeep in?"
"Nope, I've still got it!"
"OMG you have TWO cars now?!?"
"Three if you count the motorcycle. Ones for going slow over rocks and trails, one is for sucking you back in the seat, and the third is for ripping up the twisties. They all get the blood pumping!!"

It's my money and I'll spend it how I want to. I have a healthy retirement saved up, save religiously every paycheck, and have no other debt, I think I'm doing okay.

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
99% of is jealousy. fuck 'em.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
As long as you can afford it and aren't rolling old car debt on to new cars, I say do what you want to.

I've had 4 cars in the last six years and my GT is worth more than I owe. Due to buying used with ~7k miles on it.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
It'll always be that way to non-car people. I would say the same thing to someone who won't stop buying refrigerators.

Rich, you bought ANOTHER fridge? What happened to the Samsung you just bought last year? Isn't this Kenmore basically the same? Dude, you've gotten like 5 washing machines since you've been here. Take it easy.

Just appliances to those people.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
When that comes up I only say that it's a constantly depreciating asset which really makes it a liability, and after about 48 months and so many miles, the maintenance costs go up and up and up while the value goes down and down and down...

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Getting a little overly defensive don't ya think? Maybe hit a nerve. Reminds me of a line from Hamlet

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
We don't pay attention to what other people say. F**k 'em. We like having newer cars, but hate allocating money to depreciating assets. We don't hesitate to buy $100-200k of an ETF or stock, but agonize for weeks over spending $40-50k on a vehicle. It's a mindset and lifestyle developed over almost 30 years of investing.

In the past we tended to keep vehicles for 12-14 years. Still have the 2004 F250. Now not so much anymore. We will keep the S550 and the '16 Explorer Sport for maybe 5-6 years and then see what twirls our skirts at that time. ;)

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I deal with it too. What really irritates me are the comments that assume my wife has to approve everything and runs the household. “How long did you sleep on the couch after you bought your mustang?”...... actually, my wife encourage me to get an S550. When people make comments I just say “well, my income allows me to have a 2017 GT and a 2017 F-150,both of which have 0% interest loans, my house is almost paid off, I have no credit cards and I put a lot of money in savings every month. No to mention my wife has been in the dental field for 16 years and contributes a bunch to our lifestyle”.... I usually get crickets as a response since the majority of comments come from guys who’s balls are in thier wives purse. As far as family goes, they don’t say much.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You must be fun at parties... ;)

On a serious note, everyone has hobbies. Some hobbies are more expensive than others. If you get enjoyment out of something and you can afford it, who cares what others think. At the end of the day, you put value in your life. It isn't like you can take money, assets, or whatever, with you when you die. Enjoy it on earth while you can. You were put on earth in this position for a reason.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Cars are for me. Not girls, not my family, not bragging rights. They're for me. So I don't care what anyone thinks because it makes me happy. Change your perspective. This is nothing to get upset over.

EDIT: If something truly makes you happy whether it be cars, weightlifting, marathon running, collecting baseball cards, youtubing, wacking off until your shit is beef jerky, or whatever it is, no matter what anyone says about it you will smile. If you get defensive or feel like you have to explain yourself constantly for validation, you might need to reconsider what's going on in your head about said activity.

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 35 I've owned almost 80 different vehicle's. Customized and named quite a few of them. Dealt for years and years with all of what your saying from people I interact with at work. The same type of people who eat like crap, don't exercise, spend all their money on smoking drinking gambling etc etc.

Imo most of this stems from jealousy&lack of satisfaction in their own lives. Why else go out of their way to give you crap about something that is clearly not their business in the first place?

People in my experience who don't have much passion in their lives?
Can get insanely jealous of those who do. Maybe next time take stock of the people making the comments? What do they look like, what do they talk like, act like care about? Chances are they shouldn't even be on your radar so to speak man:crazy:

We would probably make great neighbors op always modding our rides, cleaning them talking shop etc:cheers:

Tb8983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I know this feeling all to well as I keep my cars on average 16-20 months and then get a new one. I work my ass off with 2 jobs and still have my weekends to have fun. Co-workers give me crap cause i have 3 cars or 4 if you count the Harley and 5 if you count my side by side I bought myself for x-mas last year. I don't have a S550 anymore(traded it in on a truck 1 1/2 years ago) but will be getting another one soon. They all complain that i need to spend my money on funner stuff like time with the wife and or family. I take my vacations more then anybody else( this month alone we have been to Vegas already and will be getting on a cruise ship in a week). They all reply with the typical jealousy comments and my favorite one is " your wife must drive a boring car" I just laugh and tell them that she drives a Focus RS that would smoke anything you own.

So I completely understand were your coming from

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
I deal with it too. What really irritates me are the comments that assume my wife has to approve everything and runs the household. “How long did you sleep on the couch after you bought your mustang?”...... actually, my wife encourage me to get an S550. When people make comments I just say “well, my income allows me to have a 2017 GT and a 2017 F-150,both of which have 0% interest loans, my house is almost paid off, I have no credit cards and I put a lot of money in savings every month. No to mention my wife has been in the dental field for 16 years and contributes a bunch to our lifestyle”.... I usually get crickets as a response since the majority of comments come from guys who’s balls are in thier wives purse. As far as family goes, they don’t say much.
the wife also encouraged me to get out of the 08 infiniti g35 i currently DD and was all on board with the mustang even getting a PP2. she can't wait to drive it as well
Sponsored