Sponsored

Removing resonator on bottom air box

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
has anyone remove the big square resonator on the lower portion of the air box? is there any negative effects?
Sponsored

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was looking for a little more induction sound on the stock box. I removed the air filter and reached into the snorkel where the resonator is then used a rubber plug from the bottom up. I noticed no side effects except a slightly louder induction noise with the windows up. With the windows down, the exhaust overcomes. I have seen some people cut the resonator out and close it up but I wanted to be able reverse the process easily.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
No effects, I left mine in, so far, no gains to report. I did the "tube" & AEM drop-in and drilled the grill opening for better flow.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking for a little more induction sound on the stock box. I removed the air filter and reached into the snorkel where the resonator is then used a rubber plug from the bottom up. I noticed no side effects except a slightly louder induction noise with the windows up. With the windows down, the exhaust overcomes. I have seen some people cut the resonator out and close it up but I wanted to be able reverse the process easily.
What size did you use?

OP
OP

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the carbon filter removed from the intake box and the airaid induction tube and drop in aem dry filter set up as well as drilling out the honey combs to allow more air flow. Would be nice to see if there any gains at all like that over stock.

Sponsored

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What size did you use?
I honestly do not know. I had a bin of them. I used a mushroom one so I could secure it but be able to easily pull it back. I also have the grill opened up, mishimoto tube, AFE drop in and carbon filter removed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have the carbon filter removed from the intake box and the airaid induction tube and drop in aem dry filter set up as well as drilling out the honey combs to allow more air flow. Would be nice to see if there any gains at all like that over stock.
The mishimoto induction tube definitely has some.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly do not know. I had a bin of them. I used a mushroom one so I could secure it but be able to easily pull it back. I also have the grill opened up, mishimoto tube, AFE drop in and carbon filter removed.
Got a pic? I'd be interested in trying this.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
What all is involved with removal of the carbon trap?

When it comes to opening up the grille, did yall remove it entirely from the bumper or just use a dremel to open up the vents?

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Are you talking about this baffle that I deleted? If so, I've had no issues on my V6 and now my GT. I also sanded the honeycombs out from the back of the GT grill. Yeah, it took a while, but it's a very even and clean look. I'm also using a velossatech big mouth. I deleted that baffle with some super glue and a cap from an oil jug. It was a perfect fit.

After reading Bjstangs post, I'm just now aware of that carbon pad in the GTs airbox. The V6 didnt have that. I have a spare V6 airbox in my garage and would put it on my GT, but there's no MAF sensor. So, I really wonder if removing that makes a difference. Reading through some of the thread indicates it might.
20180411_201858.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes this exactly, did it pop out or did you have to cut it. looks like a big cap off one of the big 4 quart lugs am I right?
Sponsored