CJPP unbranded axle-back?

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
The bass from this axleback is very deep. When I warm it up in the morning, the bass is so much, that it rattles my walls that are shared with the garage until it lowers the rpm. I experience that deep bass on acceleration pretty much from 1200-2400rpm. If it lay into it and blow through that rpm range quickly, the bass/drone is obviously going to not be as present. But I dont lay into it when driving normally, and casually climb through the lower RPM range. When going 70mph at 2100rpm, I'm hearing that bass in the cabin consistently. I put a heavy down comforter in my trunk to see if filling it with something would reduce any of the resonating, and found it hasn't helped. I dont think around deadener will really help with the amount of bass this axleback pumps out.
Seems like we are having very similar results.
Sponsored

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
After I made my offer I noticed Nick was a little frustrated so I deleted it. I would buy another set if offered for sale.
Hey Bill. Just to be clear, I am not frustrated at you. I was so excited to get these installed, but overall, I do not like them because they are very boomy and I am experiencing drone.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have the NXT Step/ SVE with the stop resonator on my convertible.

I live the sound! Very deep! However, when the sound tube was in, I too had bad drone from 1700-2000 rpm. This is with the top up. With the top down, it was fine.

I took out the sound tube and immediately noticed the drone was reduced. Not completely, but to an acceptable level for sure. Still deep and still may have some resonance in the same rpm, but ears don’t hurt anymore! It does sound so nice!

I contemplated either getting just an H pipe with stock mufflers or leaving the stock resonator and adding the axle back. I chose the axle back for the sound. I’ve heard the x pipe and wasn’t real impressed myself for what I wanted. The axle back sound is almost perfect. Perhaps a little loud but. It too loud if you know what I mean.

My install was done by me in my garage on axle stands (thanks Steeda jacking rails!). Drivers side was cake and fit perfect. Passenger side went on fine, but hangs lower than drivers side by 1/2-3/4 inch. I think bending the hanger is the fix, but haven’t got there yet.

There’s a local guy with the Borla Sport that I see off and on and he always comments about how great my car sounds over his. He has he Borla sport car back. Sounds great too, but mine is deeper and somehow meaner sounding.

Personal preference I guess. For me though, in Ontario, the $550 was much better than the $1500 for ALL THE OTHER SYSTEMS I priced out. And, it sounds great!

Who knows though, it is loud, so I’ll see how it is in a couple months. If there were systems or mufflers / axle backs that were remotely close in price I may look into those.

For me though, removing the sound tube made a difference. I’ve also read that convertibles just drone with almost all aftermarket exhausts.

I’m happy for now. Everything is a compromise...

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Seems like we are having very similar results.
Look for a stock GT take off, people swap them out all the time. I modified a spare stock exhaust and kept my cars stock ones in tact. That is if you decide to go back to stock.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
After I made my offer I noticed Nick was a little frustrated so I deleted it. I would buy another set if offered for sale.

I've been looking at SLP Loudmouth II and the CJPP, SVE, and NXT step performance reviews.

The American Muscle video on the SLP states no-drone, but some state drone on posted reviews. On the CJPP, SVE and NXT it's similar reviews but some of those are paired with an H or X pipe. It seems the maority of reviews on both report no drone. :shrug:
Got it. The SLP LM2 is what I was originally eyeing because they sounded good and because I was able to hear them in person (well...LM1's on an 09 GT) and again, it was decent with zero drone.

I'll keep an eye on the thread until Memorial Day and then figure out which one I want to gamble on.

Thanks!

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Also seems like reconnecting the stock exhaust if unhappy isn't a DIY project unless you can weld. Thanks for the info/pics though.
If you can DIY to put the axle back on it is certainly a DIY to go back to stock.

You will need to buy a couple of couplers and a couple of clamps, easily less than $15.

I have had the resonator in and out of my car several times using couplers, it's easy peasy.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have the NXT Step/ SVE with the stop resonator on my convertible.

I live the sound! Very deep! However, when the sound tube was in, I too had bad drone from 1700-2000 rpm. This is with the top up. With the top down, it was fine.

I took out the sound tube and immediately noticed the drone was reduced. Not completely, but to an acceptable level for sure. Still deep and still may have some resonance in the same rpm, but ears don’t hurt anymore! It does sound so nice!

I contemplated either getting just an H pipe with stock mufflers or leaving the stock resonator and adding the axle back. I chose the axle back for the sound. I’ve heard the x pipe and wasn’t real impressed myself for what I wanted. The axle back sound is almost perfect. Perhaps a little loud but. It too loud if you know what I mean.

My install was done by me in my garage on axle stands (thanks Steeda jacking rails!). Drivers side was cake and fit perfect. Passenger side went on fine, but hangs lower than drivers side by 1/2-3/4 inch. I think bending the hanger is the fix, but haven’t got there yet.

There’s a local guy with the Borla Sport that I see off and on and he always comments about how great my car sounds over his. He has he Borla sport car back. Sounds great too, but mine is deeper and somehow meaner sounding.

Personal preference I guess. For me though, in Ontario, the $550 was much better than the $1500 for ALL THE OTHER SYSTEMS I priced out. And, it sounds great!

Who knows though, it is loud, so I’ll see how it is in a couple months. If there were systems or mufflers / axle backs that were remotely close in price I may look into those.

For me though, removing the sound tube made a difference. I’ve also read that convertibles just drone with almost all aftermarket exhausts.

I’m happy for now. Everything is a compromise...
Very deep equals drone unless it's very quiet. Just the way the acoustics of the car works. When it's basically a just a glasspack with piping to fit, that's what you'll get (and is also why it's very inexpensive). AWE and Corsa in particular, as well as Borla, are more expensive because they have pretty significant engineering expense put into them and command the price for the lack of compromise (loud, no drone, excellent materials).

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can DIY to put the axle back on it is certainly a DIY to go back to stock.

You will need to buy a couple of couplers and a couple of clamps, easily less than $15.

I have had the resonator in and out of my car several times using couplers, it's easy peasy.
I've done a bunch of axle/boot replacements on Subaru's but I'm not seeing the comparison to repairing an exhaust to return it to stock. Plus another member said that welding was needed for the gaps/leaks. And since it would be reconnecting right at a bend, I haven't seen any clamps that would allow for it. But if you've done it I would certainly appreciate pictures of your work.

Thanks

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S

I've been looking at SLP Loudmouth II and the CJPP, SVE, and NXT step performance reviews.

The American Muscle video on the SLP states no-drone, but some state drone on posted reviews. On the CJPP, SVE and NXT it's similar reviews but some of those are paired with an H or X pipe. It seems the maority of reviews on both report no drone. :shrug:
I have the SLP LM2 coming in tomorrow. No doubt it will be loud since I am catless, and just have bullet's in place of stock resonator. I also have custom J-bends so very unlikely I will get drone.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the SLP LM2 coming in tomorrow. No doubt it will be loud since I am catless, and just have bullet's in place of stock resonator. I also have custom J-bends so very unlikely I will get drone.
I've got the SLP LM2's. Changing the Steeda X to the Magnaflow Tru X(pouring in Jacksonville no time to swap). It sounded great with an h pipe & welded in resonators. Too loud with LT's & raspy at low rpm's. Perfect at WOT! You will be :D after the install.

Sponsored

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Look for a stock GT take off, people swap them out all the time. I modified a spare stock exhaust and kept my cars stock ones in tact. That is if you decide to go back to stock.
I still have the originals if I decide to go back to stock. I will give it some time to see if it settles done a bit. I don't believe that it will, but we'll see.

I have some options though. I can re-install the original axle-backs and get the guy to weld on some Corsa tips that I bought. For me, I liked the sound of the OEM axle-back but wanted something with a little more volume and also a larger diameter tip to fill out the bumper cut-away.

The other option is to buy a friend's Corsa Touring axle-backs since he sold his GT and removed all the extras that he had previously installed.

Last edited:

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to come back to this....any one else hearing drone??

Thanks

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
At very low rpms only. A place where the 5.0 has little to offer...
Sponsored