Sponsored

2018 GT - Manual - 2nd Gear Lag?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Are you actually pushing the throttle down and it has to move a little before it kicks in? Sounds like the dbw needs a little more tip in.
Agreed, this sounds like either DBW needs to be adjusted or some other delay.

I had a similar thing with my MACH1 once. I floored it at a low RPM and NOTHING happened. No RPM increase, no noise, nothing, then a couple seconds later it to sprang to life. Like the ECU was having a hiccup or something.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I swear most of ya have not one clue how to pick a gear for the situation. :headbonk:

"i stab the gas when it's in 2d barely above idle speed and it stumbles"
:lol:
Eh, it idles at about 600rpm. Shifting at around 1800rpm from 1st usually puts 2nd around the range I mentioned when leaving my house. Not going to over rev like an asshole in the neighborhood at 0530.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I dont drive in my neighborhood like an asshat, especially having a loud exhaust. So I do shift at low RPM, usually below 1800 for each, dropping the next gear to around 1300 rpm (i have 3.73s). I notice the issue when driving to work (cold transmission) but follow the same practice of low RPM shifting when I get to my neighborhood after work, when the transmission is warm, and it doesn't have the lag.

It's clearly not a matter of "knowing what gear to pick" when I cannot duplicate the issue when its warm, following the same exact shifting. I believe people actually experience this issue, just like I do.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I messaged my sales rep, he said it might be related to a computer controlled break in. He says Ford has it programmed in for a little bit so the engine is not pushed to the max, and should go away. Interestingly enough my brother said his 16GT got quicker as he broke it in, so this might make sense. Its either that or it needs a tune.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Never noticed this. I am guessing you have to drive it a certain way to feel it.

Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Just picked mine up last night and it too has that low rpm stumble. Usually it does it when my ac is on. I’m gonna try to replicate again. It’s kind of annoying lol. Car has 160miles on it

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
So I noticed if traction control is on it does it more

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Mine still does this at 5k miles. It's a daily annoyance when driving conservatively, basically get to experience minor whiplash on every 2nd gear shift.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
It's almost like it's lugging a bit before I gets into the RPM range it wants in 2nd gear. Not sure if it's ECU/traction control or something that would go away with Sport/Track or changing the traction options. Unless I'm at 2k or above I'd never go WOT in anything but 1st. It's either lugging or the ECU isn't allowing it.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I swear most of ya have not one clue how to pick a gear for the situation. :headbonk:

"i stab the gas when it's in 2d barely above idle speed and it stumbles"
:lol:
In the land of diesel engines, 1200-1400 is screaming!

Sponsored

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
FWIW, a lot of vehicles these days are neutered when going under 35MPH; blame the drive by wire allowing the ECU to say "nope, you're not being responsible and might be attempting to do something stupid, not gonna do it" /GeorgeHerbertBushVoice

blessa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
FWIW, a lot of vehicles these days are neutered when going under 35MPH; blame the drive by wire allowing the ECU to say "nope, you're not being responsible and might be attempting to do something stupid, not gonna do it" /GeorgeHerbertBushVoice

blessa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I know this thread is dead but I Just got a 2019, I’m experiencing this lag in second gear until it gets over 3000 RPM. Car has 3000 miles on it, has a a solution to this power lag been identified?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Its the way the throttle is mapped. I got the FRPP 2019+ Power Pack and its gone...that was part of the drive-ability improvement I talked about in the thread.

blessa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Its the way the throttle is mapped. I got the FRPP 2019+ Power Pack and its gone...that was part of the drive-ability improvement I talked about in the thread.
Sponsored