Sponsored

Potential defector

hod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting a GB Mustang 5.0L V8 Auto - Drives RRS
Ok guys, had a change of mind and will be cancelling my order soon - think I should now have a build date as ordered in January. The long wait partly contributed to the change, another being threads relating to warranty works required in most cases which leaves me disheartened.

Few weeks ago I took the wife to see the new Audi Q7 as I was looking for an all-round family car - this has always been in the pipeline even if I had the mustang. Got rave meaningful reviews from the wife and the lot and very glad I once listened as I'm one that just buys without taking the practicality side of things into consideration. Anyway, here is me thinking the car will hit the ÂŁ70k mark but was astounded when it came just under ÂŁ50k after discount with decent options as standard, that's about 10k more than the Stang GT on order and as the Q7 will primarily serve as a nursery shuttle for my 2yr old it was a no brainer.

After much delibration Poignantly, the wife asked if I still want the Stang since we’re going for the Q7 and for once I couldn't give a definitive answer which I’ll come to later.

Afterwards we popped in to Jaguar to compare with the new f-pace, what a great looking car i must say and the missus was more sold on this one (I don’t blame her) but it just didn’t do it for me and the fact I’m still trying to come to terms how the oxygen sensor in our RRS has been chewed 5 times by rodent at a replacement cost of £275 each time baffles me and JLR won’t cover that in their warranty.

Long story short, I've decided on the Q7 3L S-Line to be delivered in September. Decision was purely made as the wife needs a slightly underpowered school bus as she can't handle our high powered RRS, so it was a no brainer to go for the Q7 and this will enable me sell our 4 pot bmw and use the RRS as my daily driver.

So my struggle here is should I hold on to my mustang order bearing in mind I already have a 2015 supercharged rrs with all option on offer?

And

Will I get bored of the mustang knowing I have the Q7 and rrs to play with?

:bolt:
Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Well its whatever floats your boat I suppose and with most on this forum, you are asking the wrong people..

For me, I cannot see the appeal of either of the other cars compared to the Mustang but the fact you are even considering tells me maybe the Stang aint for you. It certainly is not the car for everyone.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I can't tell how disheartened I am at the mo with all my troubles and still having no info re my car which is at the dealers, i'm almost at the point of pulling the plug, thing is what do I then do, i can honestly say there isn't any other car out there i'd want in my garage as a toy, if i got my money back then i'd only go and buy another Mustang, but then this is all based on the Mustang being a toy rather than for daily use and this is where i think we differ.

Davis89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - July 16 Mustang
It seems like you have made up your mind.

I'm sure someone in the queue will be very happy to jump the Line.

I ordered on the 02nd Jan and my car is at the docks in Baltimore waiting for transport. Yours should be built soon surely, send stacey an email if you think getting a date will change your mind! otherwise stick with the Audi and RRS.

Sponsored

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
It seems like you have made up your mind.

I'm sure someone in the queue will be very happy to jump the Line.

I ordered on the 02nd Jan and my car is at the docks in Baltimore waiting for transport. Yours should be built soon surely, send stacey an email if you think getting a date will change your mind! otherwise stick with the Audi and RRS.
It's a very strange ordering / queue system as I ordered in December and my car's not even made yet and no amount of emails made any difference. Regarding quality concerns I've also had second thoughts having only known the excellent quality of BMW cars for nearly 20 years and for that reason have decided to keep my BM and use the Mustang purely for fun. I strongly suspect though that the Mustang will get more use than the 5 once the winter months are over. That's another point against the Mustang, dangerous tyres unsuitable for winter. In the North I always ran winter tyres Nov to April but here in the South I thought I'd never need two sets of tyres again but now I have a dilemma, don't use the Mustang over winter or fork out God knows how much for some safe tyres. I'm sticking with the Mustang order only for the sheer enjoyment of the power and styling but under no illusion that I'm doing anything other than taking a step back in quality, engineering and technology. I've had Fords years ago and always loved them but maybe the Yanks don't expect as much from their vehicles as here in the UK.
All that said, I'm counting every day looking forward to the Mustang and my wife's already fed up with talk of it and how much time I spend on this forum.
Personally some years ago when deciding whether to order another X5 or not we had a test drive in a Q7, it was awful, like a huge ungainly wallowing boat so Audi would never be on my wish list.

vikz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Disagree with couple of above posts (no offence). I remember posting about having 2nd thoughts and a lot of the consensus was along the lines of 'you shouldn't have the Mustang unless you are 100% committed because only a Mustang-fanatic would appreciate it.' Paraphrasing significantly there but the underlying point I think remains the same.

Prior to my ordering my Mustang coincidentally I was interested in either the Q7 or F-Pace also. Didn't need the extra size at that stage, I was just keen on an SUV. In the end decided to continue with the Mustang anyway. There will be loads I'll love about it but I know there are going to be a couple of things that don't blow my mind (interior quality, sat nav, ride quality), but I'm making that compromise based on the idea that I will only keep the Mustang for a year or so and I have always wanted one. Could you not do a similar thing? Sounds like you have the means to risk losing some money on a Mustang for a year (I'm hoping that I don't end up losing too much on mine). That'll either quench your thirst for the Mustang or decide that you want one forever? Just the way I look at things.

Do you really want to have 2 large SUV's in the household with nothing smaller?

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Maybe go to a few Mustang meets, maybe someone could take you for a blast in one if you haven't already, might help.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
To be honest I don't really think this is the right place to ask this question, think you need to find a forum which is about cars in general, just a thought.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I think you are operating in a different league to most of us, and buying with different priorities in mind. My Mustang is a once in a lifetime event (so far anyway) and the result of 40 years of work and saving. You have the financial clout to walk into any dealer who has a cancelled Mustang order (there are plenty) and pick one up. This wasn't an option a year+ ago and actually the lead time and having my car built for me was all part of the adventure. Every time I drive it is an event.

As an aside I tried twice to interest Audi in selling me a car, they couldn't have been less interested once they found out I was paying up front. I like Audi's don't get me wrong but the Mondeo Titanium X I have ended up with as a DD is more comfortable, practical and economical than either the Audi or Mercedes I had on long term test before deciding. It's also well built. As is my fabulous Mustang (for the money). If you have to think about it, the Mustang is not for you. You either want one, or you don't. Hope you find something that lights your fire though.

Hope your wife isn't too disappointed with the Q7, given that she preferred the Jag!

Sponsored
OP
OP
hod

hod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting a GB Mustang 5.0L V8 Auto - Drives RRS
The issue here isn't about not being a mustang-fanatic as some comments suggested, the main qualms here are the quality and the time it takes to deliver. I could go and buy one tomorrow but most are in colours I do not wish to own.

In hindsight if my dealer rings me up today and said my car is ready, I will definitely go pick it up but the time it takes to build somewhat puts you off. I agree that owning 2 SUV's might be silly in someway but that's the unfortunate situation we face while some will say having two 5 liter vehicles (rrs and mustang) is even bunkers.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The question is, what will an RRS/Q7 give you that the Mustang does/doesn't, you'll have to weigh them up for yourself, however, driving through any town or city centre, I don't think either an RRS or Q7 will get half, if not a quarter of the attention that a Mustang gets, it's well documented by all owners we get OBSCENE amounts of attention and comments regarding our cars. if, like me, you somewhat enjoy and bask in the attention, then so be it, Mustang is for you, if you hate attention and want to go about your life without people looking at you, stay the hell away from the Mustang especially in bright colours.

As you say, you've got the money to buy whatever car within a certain range by the looks of it, the Q7 serves a practicality but will the RRS satisfy your inner man-child, who knows?

I wish you the best of luck with your decision, you're in the wrong place to get a 'Go for BMW/Audi/Merc/RRS/Jag/non-stang' response...

*Attention is not the reason for getting the stang.

naughts4187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Guard
Literally comparing apples with pears. Personally think the new Q7 is possibly the worst looking SUV on the market so for that reason I wouldn't go near it. We had a 2010 Q7 and it was ok, solid, but just ok. It's just a big Audi and I've had lots of them, they all feel the same to drive. The Mustang is something completely different. I'm having one because I've always wanted my slice of American pie and I still can't get enough of the S550 looks. Yes it will probably have a few issues, but that's what a 3 year warranty is for. Chances are I won't keep it past 3 years so for me it's not even a problem. I had a tiny wobble in January when I came across a gem of an M3, but then I went back to the Ford dealer and just sat in a GT for an hour and I was hooked again. Easy decision for me.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The issue here isn't about not being a mustang-fanatic as some comments suggested, the main qualms here are the quality and the time it takes to deliver.
Both of which you're going to have to suck up if you want one, so it IS about how much you want A MUSTANG and not just another blandmobile.

Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
This has made me think a little.

If I'm honest, I don't think I'd trade my bespoke ordered one for a dealers showroom one even if I could have one tomorrow. Personally, my wait has made the whole 'buying a mustang' decision (& the car itself) more special.

Probably not relevant to the question as such but I think it shows the difference in our actual feelings about the car itself. I'm preparing myself for a non-perfect car & probably service & although I can never justify either, I'm ready cause it's a Mustang..... my Mustang.

Unless you feel this way about them, I fear that you're probably better with another car.

Btw, this doesn't mean that I'm relaxed about my car paddling across the pond at the moment but you get the gist :D
Sponsored