Sponsored

Potential buyer here, question inside

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Hello all,

I'm looking into purchasing a 2015 Mustang GT with the track pack and Recaro seat options. This will be my first Mustang and most of all, first new car purchase from a dealer.

Drove one at the dealer lot and enjoyed it, however. After it was warmed up and driving around a bit, I got on it a little and was sort of unimpressed with the power output. I'm quite technically inclined and inquired about this and one of the sales people said thats due to a break in tune that lasts for the first 500 miles.

Can anyone confirm of this tune and does the power increase after? Better yet, has your car felt just as fast as initially purchasing as it does after a few hundred or thousand miles?

I've researched the quality issues and its worrying to say the least, I'll be sure to do an extensive look over before purchasing. I'm sure I'll have more questions but thats what I initially wanted to ask now.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Yes, I noticed a power bump after a few hundred miles. Did you put the car in Sport Mode? If you didn't, you missed the full effect.

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I noticed a power bump after a few hundred miles. Did you put the car in Sport Mode? If you didn't, you missed the full effect.
I did not. However, I will possibly be visiting the dealer again on Friday so I'm sure I can arrange another test drive. Lets just say I'm playing hard to get.

Regardless I will be looking it over after reading of all these quality issues.

Thanks for the quick response!

jake-88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium automatic select shift
Yeah throw it n sport.. trust me you will feel the power

Sponsored

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What RPM were you shifting gears at?
Took it up near the limit once or twice in second and third gear. I planned another test drive before final purchase obviously, looks like I'll be doing on sooner than expected and noting the sport mode.

Also, the wheel hop on these things look like they can be a handful from some videos I've seen.

I'm younger and more or less inquired online for the hell of it. Passed the credit background check (yay good credit score) and they offered a test drive. I was dead set on a 2013-2014 GT with track pack and such but for what I can get a new one for, its appealing.

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
I must be lucky. I've done a few burnout with and without line lock and I've never had even a hint of wheel hop.

hcappie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Dealer may have had it in valet mode (or whatever it's called) that lets you program it to run slower (for parents trying to keep their kids from driving too fast). Or it may have been in wet/snow mode which slows the throttle response & other settings. Sport+ mode opens that car up!

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sales guy did mention it was in "transportation mode" so I figured that had to do something with it. I know these engines are stout and thats why I was most surprised.

As it was a spur of the moment event I didn't quite get in as much research as I wanted before I saw it. How do you activate sport mode? I'm going to assume it has something to do with using the screen in the gauge cluster. This is a base GT with the performance pack and Recaros as mentioned above.

I must be lucky. I've done a few burnout with and without line lock and I've never had even a hint of wheel hop.
Good to know, I saw some videos and they were scary.

Just noticed I messed up that title, whoops.

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
After you order ... the Steeda CAI & tune will help wake it up :)

TJ

Sponsored

Catfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2003 Cobra, 2015 GT PP
Hello all,

Drove one at the dealer lot and enjoyed it, however. After it was warmed up and driving around a bit, I got on it a little and was sort of unimpressed with the power output.
It could be you went in with too high of expectations too. These aren't some super powerful car, they aren't really light, and they are so refined they almost have a numb driving experience. They are fast, they just don't really feel fast in my opinion.

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
To the OP, what kind of car are you coming from ?

A tune will help with certain things, but it won't make it a HUGE difference.
These are fast cars... Sure not Agera R fast but they will scare you if you keep mashing the gas...

Remember a few times I got home and was shaking a little due to such a high speed drive...

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the comments.

I'm coming from a lightly modded 2009 Cobalt SS. Best time of mid 13s @ 109 in the 1/4. Nothing amazing but it gets out of its way while maintaining 33 mpg and beat much pricer cars at auto-x.

I've driven an automatic 2013 5.0 (convertible at that) a few years ago and it definitely felt stronger than the 2015 GT I drove the other day so I will associate it to hopefully being a break in procedure. I will also be requesting to drive another 2015 they have on the lot to see if its car specific.

13974920017_d1a1db8b6a_b.jpg

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
GTs are high 12s stock. So coming from a 13 second cobalt you are definitely gaining speed.
These are pretty refined, though. They are fast, but its not raw and it doesn't feel as fast as it is.

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
If you're driving a PP, throw it in sport everything and row some gears... It should be plenty
Sponsored