Sponsored

2016 Base

lmar77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TrackPack
I'm curios if someone has driven a '16 Base model and could tell me the difference. How does the car handle without the Magnetic shocks? Also, if you don't plan on tracking it, are the track pack coolers really important?
Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I'm curios if someone has driven a '16 Base model and could tell me the difference. How does the car handle without the Magnetic shocks? Also, if you don't plan on tracking it, are the track pack coolers really important?
One of the test drives was a 16 base. I enjoyed the ride, the obvious difference being that it feels like a normal aggressive shock tuning on a rough road - that is not very comfortable. In a way I kind of liked it because I was not used to magneride at that time (which seemed too soft to me). In the end it is less versatile but thoroughly enjoyable and capable. I obviously only pushed it as hard as I could on normal street driving with an anxious salesman next to me :)

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
I own a base and it handles very well. I never hit limp mode on the street but did once during the third 20 minute session of a track day. I installed transmission cooler so it should be ok for future track events. iMO...You don’t need the coolers if you don’t plan on tracking the car. I stayed out front during Track day with no other cars in my session pressing me so I’m happy with how it handles. I would like to drive a magniride car at the track to compare against the base suspension.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lmar77

lmar77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TrackPack
I'm buying this car because of the engine and the fact that the base has less tech is starting to become more appealing to me.

ShiftPoint

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Shelby GT350
My $0.02.

If you don't plan on road course events such as HPDE's it will be exactly the same as my 2017. Which has the trans and diff coolers.

Even if you want to do some autox it will be great! Heck if the temps are right you and you don't push crazy you will probably be fine for the first 10 min or so in a HPDE session (novice class).

It all comes down to what you are planning to do with the car. The ONLY reason I opted for a 2017 was that it has the trans and diff coolers (couldn't find a 16 with track pack). I run about 5 HPDE events per year and a lot of them are in 80+ degree weather. I wanted the trans and diff coolers so it doesn't go into limp mode and I push pretty hard.

That being said, you could still do those events just run it hard for 2-3 laps and then take it easy for 2 laps to cool down. For some that might be a deal breaker. For others, it's completely fine.

Either way, you own a GT350 and that is great! Just know what it can and can't do and decide based on your goals. No shame or regrets either way!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'm buying this car because of the engine and the fact that the base has less tech is starting to become more appealing to me.
One of the biggest reasons why I bought a base was because it was the least complicated. Just basic and analog as it gets for a GT350. Couldn't justify paying $6500 for coolers I wouldn't fully use and a magnetic suspension I don't care for. I don't regret getting a base 2016. I'm sure the ride is better with the Magneride, but it's been perfectly fine for me.

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm sure you have seen this one on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Ford-...%3A4076b0821610ab1dd7a50e02ffe3e00f%7Ciid%3A1

It didn't meet its reserve last week with a bid of $44,000. It is also listed on cars.com for $49,000. It has been for sale for quite awhile. If you could get that car for $44,000 I think it would be a good deal.

If you wanted a little better handling, the base car is ideal for adding coilovers.

Good Luck with your search.

OP
OP
lmar77

lmar77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TrackPack
Yes, I've seen it, that car has been for sale for over 200days, makes me wonder what's wrong with it? I live close to that dealer, so I'll be taking a look at it sometime next week.

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
On my 17 when go over speed bumps I can feel some noises coming from the struts and the shock or the tires. Is this normal with the magna ride suspension?

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Just my opinion, hope this helps
I had originally purchased a 2015 GT premium with the 50th anniversary package when the S550 first came out, mainly because of the many improvements Ford had made with the S550. But then when I heard that the Ford Performance Team took that new car and then made several more performance/racing improvements, I realized I needed to get a GT350. I traded the GT premium for a 2016 Base GT350.

Am I sorry I didn’t get the Magnaride suspension?
No, and here is why: I am a believer that I can get the most out of my suspension by knowing exactly what are it’s limits, I’m talking consistency. With conventional shocks while they may not be ideal on a tight-cornered race track, at least they are simple and the same, not adjustable electronically, and don’t have the different settings that will add complexity to your driving feel. Bottom line is I feel I can be more comfortable with my simple shocks, than having to adjust to several settings that add more variables you have to adjust your driving to.
I had raced Late Model stock cars on short tracks for 39+ years, believe me, I know the importance of shocks, and what a huge suspension tuning improvement they can make on the race track.
Many performance car enthusiasts haven’t gone into the deep realm of studying such things as kingpin inclination, bump steer, roll steer, and roll couple, and their effects when ride-height is altered.
I bought my GT350 mainly to drive on the street, I am done with all the on-track stuff. I would say I based my purchase decision 90% on powertrain. That FPC 526 HP engine, -Nothing like it!. The Tremec 3160 Transmission, -Perfect, and sooo much better that the MT82! The 3.73 Torsen T2R !.
And then, the suspension improvements made by Ford engineering, -lower, stiffer springs, bigger brakes, not even counting the Magnaride.

If you plan on tracking it, the coolers ARE A MUST !

Good Video’s
Shelby GT350 Reveal Event:
[ame]

2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Informational Disc:
[ame]

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yes, I've seen it, that car has been for sale for over 200days, makes me wonder what's wrong with it? I live close to that dealer, so I'll be taking a look at it sometime next week.

I would bet that the only thing wrong with it is it's been overpriced. If you search cargurus you can see how long a car has been for sale and price history. There are a few cars that have been for sale for 600+ days. These are cars with clean carfaxes and that are moderately priced. There are +/- 1500 new and used GT350's for sale right now with more on the way. Whenever I search for one there always seems to be the same cars for sale, they just aren't moving off the lots that quickly,

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base (arriving Dec 2015)
I have a base because it's all i could afford. I added transmission coolers and have tracked it several times. It's a blast. I daily the car during the summer. Nothing wrong with a base. Same engine and brakes as all the other models
Sponsored