Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The Mustang is WAY more livable than the Camaro. I liked he Camaro much more initially in test drives but the back seat would not fit my teens. The Mustang did and I've even put 2 snowboards and a set of skis on the trunk and folding one back seat down.

I doubt the Camaro could do the same.

I might get a Camaro ZL1 someday used. Just as a go fast toy. But as a daily the Mustang is superior for me
The Mustang has just over an inch more headroom in the back than the Camaro and about 1/2 inch more rear legroom. Neither can fit an adult in the backseat over 5'9 or so comfortably but the Mustang is little bit better. It's actually closer than I thought when I tested them and I looked up the specs.

Surprisingly the Camaro has an inch more headroom in the front seats which ch helps with helmets and track days.

I drove a 2SS expecting the visibilty to be a dealbreaker and for me it wasn't. Maybe it's because I drive a Corvette which has limited visibility as well. I still like the looks of the Mustang better on the outside, the interior is a wash for me. Tech is a wash. So it comes down to better Mustang interior ergonomics and exterior design vs Camaro driving dynamics/performance for me. I didn't love the look of the 2SS but am looking at a 1SS 1LE and 2SS 1LE this week. In pictures/video I like the 1LE styling better than regular SS. Better stance, aero, rear, wheels, etc.
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
You're either lying or short in stature. Anyone 6' and above has to stop well short at stoplights to avoid having to duck down to see. The front windshield is ridiculously short as are the side windows.

And the front A pillars being as large as they are with the high belt line introduces a large biker and pedestrian blind spot.

And there is a huge blind spot on both drivers and passenger side C pillars. You cannot rely on direct line of sight vision in the camaro period.

Honestly, it really is that bad. If you like it, good for you...but for most of us....it's shit.
I am 5'11" and noticed the stoplight issue at lights where the line was close to the light. But my Vette is even worse I think so am used to it. 90+% of the time it's not an issue but occasionally it is. Bit I also much prefer a car where I sit lower to the ground too. I felt like I was sitting up a little high on the 18 Mustangs I have driven. Not sure if the seat was lowered all the way but that's something I have to check on my next test drive.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
You're either lying or short in stature. Anyone 6' and above has to stop well short at stoplights to avoid having to duck down to see. The front windshield is ridiculously short as are the side windows.

And the front A pillars being as large as they are with the high belt line introduces a large biker and pedestrian blind spot.

And there is a huge blind spot on both drivers and passenger side C pillars. You cannot rely on direct line of sight vision in the camaro period.

Honestly, it really is that bad. If you like it, good for you...but for most of us....it's shit.
I have no reason to lie and I'm 5'11. I drive this car regularly and haven't noticed what you speak of of. My complaints are: the narrow sharply angled windshield combined with high drivers side dash(creating the cave like feel) and right rear terrible rear blind spot. The seats also hardly recline at all without being taken out and modified.
I could care less about the back seat or trunk space as I rarely use them.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Well at 6.4 if I didnt recline the seat. My head was against the roof of the car. Banging into the sun roof frame. With the seat in its lowest position. You guys are Camaro owners. I expect nothing less than you to say. I have no issues. I wont own another Camaro til they fix the ergonomic issues .

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Well at 6.4 if I didnt recline the seat. My head was against the roof of the car. Banging into the sun roof frame. With the seat in its lowest position. You guys are Camaro owners. I expect nothing less than you to say. I have no issues. I wont own another Camaro til they fix the ergonomic issues .
The Camaro is just not made for taller people I'm afraid. I completely get why you got rid of yours and drive a Mustang.

I would do the same.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I have no reason to lie and I'm 5'11. I drive this car regularly and haven't noticed what you speak of of. My complaints are: the narrow sharply angled windshield combined with high drivers side dash(creating the cave like feel) and right rear terrible rear blind spot. The seats also hardly recline at all without being taken out and modified.
I could care less about the back seat or trunk space as I rarely use them.
This depends a lot on how intersections are constructed in your particular state/city. It's a function of sight distance and height of the signal. If the lights are on the far side of a 4 lane road with left turn lanes (so 5 lanes across) it is likely not a problem. If you have intersections with the old fashioned center suspended light or the road is more narrow or the signal is higher then you will notice.

It's about the same as flipping down the sun visor in a "normal" car.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This depends a lot on how intersections are constructed in your particular state/city. It's a function of sight distance and height of the signal. If the lights are on the far side of a 4 lane road with left turn lanes (so 5 lanes across) it is likely not a problem. If you have intersections with the old fashioned center suspended light or the road is more narrow or the signal is higher then you will notice.

It's about the same as flipping down the sun visor in a "normal" car.
Spot on.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I wonder what the average age of Mustang vs Camaro owner?

I feel I am way too old for the transformer car.:shrug:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Camaro is an ergonomic nightmare that GM is trying to correct by cheaper pricing.

If you don't find the Camaro a nightmare, then you got the car cheap enough it doesn't matter, OR Chevy found the right type of nonchalant driver who only cares about looking out the front.

It is easy to spot happy campers that don't care, they are driving a Camaro.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Being 5'10", I had no ergonomic issues with the Camaro 1SS I briefly owned. I had other issues.....like it having major problems and being bought back by GM. I had a lemon I guess.

Taller people I could see having problems with the short windshield. But nothing bothered me much driving it. I got used to it.

But the Mustang is better. Better view outward and blind spots not that bad.

I think the Camaro looks pretty awesome in SS trim. I think the Mustang looks great too. They both look different from each other but great. I know. Personal taste. But compared to most cars, they both look bad ass.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am doing another back to back comparison this week. This time a 1LE vs an 18 Premium w/PP1 and magride. The Mustang is alomost $3K more after discounts and I think it will be closer to $4K because the Chevy dealer is giving me more for trade in.
Might as well not even bother. I think it's pretty common knowledge that PP1 is FAR behind the 1LE in terms of performance and price. If you want something comparable, just wait another month or 2 until PP2 becomes more popular

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Being 5'10", I had no ergonomic issues with the Camaro 1SS I briefly owned. I had other issues.....like it having major problems and being bought back by GM. I had a lemon I guess.

Taller people I could see having problems with the short windshield. But nothing bothered me much driving it. I got used to it.

But the Mustang is better. Better view outward and blind spots not that bad.

I think the Camaro looks pretty awesome in SS trim. I think the Mustang looks great too. They both look different from each other but great. I know. Personal taste. But compared to most cars, they both look bad ass.
That's how I feel too. As an enthusiast I am glad we have all these cars to choose from and it keeps the car manufacturers honest. I've never been a fanboy of any brand my last four cars were BRZ, WRX, Golf R, C7. I've also owned Audi, BMW, Hondas, Nissan, a bunch of Mazdas (3 RX-7's and a Speed 3). I buy what I want and what speaks to me and I am not limited by a brand. I don't really get fanboys unless Ford or GM are paying you somehow, but to each his own.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That's how I feel too. As an enthusiast I am glad we have all these cars to choose from and it keeps the car manufacturers honest. I've never been a fanboy of any brand my last four cars were BRZ, WRX, Golf R, C7. I've also owned Audi, BMW, Hondas, Nissan, a bunch of Mazdas (3 RX-7's and a Speed 3). I buy what I want and what speaks to me and I am not limited by a brand. I don't really get fanboys unless Ford or GM are paying you somehow, but to each his own.
That’s a pretty impressive list of cars there! :headbang:

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
That’s a pretty impressive list of cars there! :headbang:
Thanks! I've never owned a Ford and I have always loved the Mustang. I really expect to own one at some point, the GT350's are starting to come down in price and, to me, that car is magnificent. I almost bought one over my C7 but dealers had them marked up and any used ones were just as much as new.

The Vodoo is a really special motor but the Coyote is no slouch.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You didn't learn your lesson after the first RX-7? :p
Sponsored