Sponsored

Selling my 5.0 GT :(

mkl_mus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT
Hi Guys

After much deliberation I have decided to sell my Mustang as i'm just not using it enough and it spends most of its life sat on my drive or parked in my garage for long periods of time.

I was after some advice really if I am doing the right thing with the sale, I thought it would be a little tricky trying to sell a car privately at this price instead of using part ex at a dealer.

I have it listed on AutoTrader at the moment as I couldn't find a selling section for the uk on the forums but not received any calls yet :doh:

I have also considered selling to a dealer but thought it would be best if I was able to sell to an enthusiast who would appreciate the car.
Dealer will just likely add a couple of thousand on top of what they offer me then give it a wash and hoover then back on AutoTrader :D

Can anyone offer some words of wisdom?
Do I have it priced to high?
I followed the recommended price which AutoTrader advised on their valuation page.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801042452846

Cheers
Mark :)
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Seems cheap for a 17 with only circa 4k miles

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sorry to hear of the sale...

Autotrader is a good bet - it's where the sale of my Ecoboost came from, private buyer. Although I didn't have many calls either.

If anything, I would say you have it valued too low, bearing in mind the low mileage. I think it could fetch more personally, to the right buyer of course!

You could also try Tootle (just give it a google). Tootle is basically Autotrader but caters to traders, rather than the public. I got a few decent offers via this website, it's free too.

Seems you have the luxury of time on your hands so you could try adding to some forums too.

Wouldn't recommend trying to sell it to Ford, they will be just as bad, if not worse than independent traders.

FWIW I sold my Ecoboost after 18 months, 19k miles for ÂŁ26,000. Approx ÂŁ1000 spent on some subtle mods, nothing extreme. List price was ÂŁ29,590.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
I'd pay that; in fact, mine may go for similar money (with subtle mods). I do understand your situation. I never use mine (although I may be about to) and after 14/15 months it has seen no use... at all.

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Its real catch 22 at the moment, that is cheap for a 2017 and for that money I would buy, however dealers have LOADS of new ones at the moment and you can get small discounts on a new one.

Plus, with the 2018 coming a few people may hang on and get a new new one.

It could be that the current model could be about to get a good caning and depreciation.

GLWS though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mkl_mus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT
Thanks for the comments guys, yeah I was surprised myself also to not receive any calls as I thought it was a steel at that price myself and didn't want to overvalue it so went with the advice from AutoTrader.
I would happily buy it from myself If I was in the market for a second hand mustang :)

I just loathe dealers and garages making money on cars like these as they are such a great car but guess needs must sometimes, thanks Kristian87 for the tootle advice I will give that a go see if I get any better offers.

Seems silly I would rather keep it on my drive than letting it sit on a forecourt somewhere :lol:

activeuk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Try rs rs direct mate got ÂŁ35,000 for my mustang a month or so ago they even picked up

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I wouldn’t worry about selling to a private buyer..... I’ve sold 2 reasonably high value cars to private buyers, with no trouble at all...

1st one was an Aston Martin, sold for £34k, buyer did a bank transfer direct to my account, I contacted the bank to make sure the funds were cleared and couldn’t be returned.....all good, buyer drove away:)

2nd one was my TVR, ÂŁ26k to a chap I picked up from the train station... he had cash in a rucksack, handed it over, I took it to the bank, all good and he drove off into the sunset...:D

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Also, maybe just me but I generally avoid cars where photos taken in a random car park, much prefer photos taken in someone's drive (or in a residential area) - looks more legit.

Remember as well it's early Jan so not many people looking for a RWD performance car when it's cold and wet

Sponsored

Gyrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gy
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG & California Special Convertible

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Your price seems very fair.

I am lucky that not using it much would not be a reason to sell it.

OP
OP

mkl_mus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT
Also, maybe just me but I generally avoid cars where photos taken in a random car park, much prefer photos taken in someone's drive (or in a residential area) - looks more legit.

Remember as well it's early Jan so not many people looking for a RWD performance car when it's cold and wet
Yeah that is a good point thanks for mentioning it, I was going to take the photos outside my house but currently doing some renovation work so didn't want a skip in the background :D

OP
OP

mkl_mus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT
Try rs rs direct mate got ÂŁ35,000 for my mustang a month or so ago they even picked up
Thanks will give them a call in the morning, is it the one in Bristol?
What was your spec and colour?

I wouldn’t worry about selling to a private buyer..... I’ve sold 2 reasonably high value cars to private buyers, with no trouble at all...

1st one was an Aston Martin, sold for £34k, buyer did a bank transfer direct to my account, I contacted the bank to make sure the funds were cleared and couldn’t be returned.....all good, buyer drove away:)

2nd one was my TVR, ÂŁ26k to a chap I picked up from the train station... he had cash in a rucksack, handed it over, I took it to the bank, all good and he drove off into the sunset...:D
Yeah remember selling a car a number of years ago to a private buyer, we both went to his bank and they issued a bankers draft, guess things have moved on now with online bank transfers.