Sponsored

CA Tinting and Front Plates

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Hi guys,
So how many of you guys totally disregard the nanny state bullshit and tint your car and remove the front plate?

I see cars with illegal tint all the time- they are everywhere. I can't imagine that cops are writing tickets for it, and the few cops I know say it's only an add on when someone has done something else stupid.

What has been your experience? What about front plates?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
I run 20% on the front at 5% on the rears, don't really have an issue, the front plate I have been stopped for but he only said to put it back on and if I didn't he would write me a ticket. it just depends on the town your in and if they don't have anything better to do.

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run 20% on the front at 5% on the rears, don't really have an issue, the front plate I have been stopped for but he only said to put it back on and if I didn't he would write me a ticket. it just depends on the town your in and if they don't have anything better to do.
Thanks. I'm in north county San Diego, but go through a fair amount of SoCal towns and cities pretty regularly.

I'm thinking I'll still tint (15-20% I think), but may just keep the front plate on...

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
i have had all my vehicles tinted and none had front license plates since 1990. never a single ticket or warning, even in the rare times i have been pulled over.

when i bought the mustang, the ford dealer asked me if i wanted them to install the front plate bracket. i said no, they had a form ready for me to sign that i acknowledge in CA it is illegal to drive a car without a front plate and that i was taking the liability, not the dealer.

key is, don't drive like a moron or attract attention and you will most likely be fine.

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
If you don't have the bracket installed the chance will be less that they will pull you over because there is no obvious spot for it to be, if the bracket is there and no plate then they will more than likely pull you over.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have had all my vehicles tinted and none had front license plates since 1990. never a single ticket or warning, even in the rare times i have been pulled over.

when i bought the mustang, the ford dealer asked me if i wanted them to install the front plate bracket. i said no, they had a form ready for me to sign that i acknowledge in CA it is illegal to drive a car without a front plate and that i was taking the liability, not the dealer.

key is, don't drive like a moron or attract attention and you will most likely be fine.
Sounds good, thanks!

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you don't have the bracket installed the chance will be less that they will pull you over because there is no obvious spot for it to be, if the bracket is there and no plate then they will more than likely pull you over.
Sounds doable, I can always claim ignorance :D

"Gee I'm sorry officer I bought the car out of state and this is how it came"

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds doable, I can always claim ignorance :D

"Gee I'm sorry officer I bought the car out of state and this is how it came"
i would be careful with that one. remember CA are nazi's about buying in-state. you know about the 7500 mile rule, right? if they suspect the car came from out of state, they will scrutinize it! DMV and CHP.....

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i would be careful with that one. remember CA are nazi's about buying in-state. you know about the 7500 mile rule, right? if they suspect the car came from out of state, they will scrutinize it! DMV and CHP.....
I don't know about the 7,500 mile rule...I probably have some wiggle room with the out of state thing though, as I also have a military ID in my wallet.

I probably won't make stuff up about buying out of state, and just claim ignorance on the front plates...sure ruins the look of the front bumper.

Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Ive done this to my cars for 15+ years now.

When you get rolled, (because it will happen) lower both your windows all the way down.

I did get a ticket once for following too closely to a car going 4mph.
The cop threw in Not updating my address on my license, no front plate, modified exhaust, tinted windows. Said he was doing me a favor. I sold the car got all the tickets dismissed and pled not guilty on following too close. Cop never showed to court. Was a good day

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
No front plate and tinted on both my Mustangs and loud as hell in Los Angeles. Fuck em, I get a fix it once a year go to the CHP 15 mins out of town they sign off the ticket without even checking the car 90% of the time, then pay the $25 fee and call it good.

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive done this to my cars for 15+ years now.

When you get rolled, (because it will happen) lower both your windows all the way down.

I did get a ticket once for following too closely to a car going 4mph.
The cop threw in Not updating my address on my license, no front plate, modified exhaust, tinted windows. Said he was doing me a favor. I sold the car got all the tickets dismissed and pled not guilty on following too close. Cop never showed to court. Was a good day
Nice. It occurred to me that rolling all the windows down all the way would probably help.

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No front plate and tinted on both my Mustangs and loud as hell in Los Angeles. Fuck em, I get a fix it once a year go to the CHP 15 mins out of town they sign off the ticket without even checking the car 90% of the time, then pay the $25 fee and call it good.
Just a $25 fee for no front plate?

Damn, totally worth it!

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just a $25 fee for no front plate?

Damn, totally worth it!
$25 if you get the ticket signed off that you "fixed" it. Twice I went to the chp and they didn't even check the car and signed it. The other time I just double sided taped the plate on to get it signed off.
Sponsored