Sponsored

How many people declare mods to their insurance company?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Just curious how many people declare modifications to their car to the insurance company they are with.

Apparently it is a big deal. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
No to performance mods, unless it was a Turbo/SC

But I did declare my Vossen Wheels to ensure they were covered.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I get an aftermarket wheels rider. I choose not to cover my suspension parts since if I (God forbid) total the Mustang (and insurance pays out), I'll probably get a different car and typically you can take off most of the parts at the yard (I keep my stock parts).

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
You should declare things that would actually add value; wheels, paint, etc.

Performance mods are up to the individual, but I personally wouldn't do it. I can't imagine an insurance agent would like to hear that you bolted on a supercharger to an already high-risk car.

trbstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
87 5.0 LX, 16 PP GT Premium
I just went through this on my 16 GT. Things like floor mats, splash guards, etc that they consider will add value to the car, they will cover without you declaring them before the loss, but other small things like the Steeda jacking rails, hood struts, wheel spacers, etc were considered "personal preference" items and they refused to pay me anything. But they did cover a CAI on a prior car. If I did wheels or other more expensive mod, I would certainly consult with my agent about it.

Sponsored

Phill The Greek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GTPP
I have USA and asked them about thi's coverage. They cover up to $5000 fair market value on modifications to the car as part of their premium. I think the coverage is dependent on the state though.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If I did wheels or other more expensive mod, I would certainly consult with my agent about it.
Unless your wheels are more costly than the OE wheels that came on the car if you had to buy them across the parts counter, why bother?

Tires, shocks, struts, aftermarket track pads, and probably a few other things are all wear items. Smaller expenses such as hood struts, lowering springs and aftermarket sta-bars, and most other suspension components aren't expensive enough to justify covering them.

Norm

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
I work for an insurance company and I don't. If I had a S/C or Turbo I definitely would though. If you don't disclose that, best case scenario you get shafted and don't get the value of the extra $5k-$10k. Worst case scenario they deny your claim and then cancel you for misrep. After that you'll have a black mark against you and say goodbye to reasonable premiums with any carrier for the next 3-5 years.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I have USA and asked them about thi's coverage. They cover up to $5000 fair market value on modifications to the car as part of their premium. I think the coverage is dependent on the state though.
Same - I was told there was a limit, but didn't recall how much.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I added $5k worth of coverage for around an extra $20/mo

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
I don’t bother. $1000 deductibles, high liability limits and low premiums are my preference.
Sponsored