Over 14 Years with BMW... First Mustang: 2018 GT - My Story

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Also remove the clutch assist spring if you havent, it will greatly improve the clutch feel and accuracy. Its pretty much universally hated here, not sure if they changed it for the 18. Great thing is its a free 2 minute mod with a set of pliers. Push the clutch all the way in, compress a couple of the coils with pliers and it should slide right out with the perch.
Is the clutch assist spring still even a thing with the new lower effort dual disc clutch?
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I test drove an 18 manual w/PP1 and did not notice any issues with the clutch and thought the gearbox was pretty good actually. Not sure it needs any modifications out of the box unless you really wanted a shorter throw.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
its funny im on the other side of the fence. Im looking into a 14 335ix. how ever the 18 mustang still calls me

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Congrats!

Previous BMW Enthusiast owner here as well:
1995 M3 Cosmos/Dove
1991 318is convertible, 5spd, Black/Tan (had that great M42 engine)

However, the BMW’s were my secondary vehicles, as I’ve always had a Mustang along with other vehicles. The Mustang has always been my passion (my 2018 now makes it the 20th Mustang I’ve owned, including my 94 Cobra).

Best of luck w/ your 2018!

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
After leaving a quick post in the introduce yourself thread I felt compelled to share some photos and impressions of the 2018 Mustang GT from a Ford newbie. Warning, this will more than likely be long.

TLDR: Bought a Mustang. I love it.

I've worked, and still do, with BMW for over 14 years. It's really all I've driven, modded, wrenched, tracked, everything. However, there was always a little bug in my ear when it came to the Mustang. I suppose I can blame Nicolas Cage and Eleanor but that seems a bit too cliche even though I watched that scene hundreds of times. Something about the looks and styling always hit a high note for me. After changing a significant amount of things for 2018 I decided there was no better time than now to take a dive into the world of Mustang.

I did some research about the different options, packages and differences in the MY18. While silly to some I wanted a new car. Like, brand new. It would be my first non company car that has the "new car" scent. I also didn't want to order it. Only because I'm not patient and a local dealer had one that checked all of my boxes.

Magnetic/Cloth, 6sp, PP, 12" Sync3, Active Exhaust and Magneride. I'm exposing my ignorance here as I'm not sure if some are inclusive or not with packages but those were my must haves. As if it was meant to be I walked up to stock #180162 and knew I wanted it. Odo read 3 miles, smelled new and had what I wanted... I drove away in it an hour later.

I did the customary drive around town all day with a new car smile ear to ear. Varying engine speed and load. Taking it easy on the clutch. Bedding in the brakes. While not necessary it's habit after countless engine rebuilds, clutch replacements and brake jobs on project/track cars.

This engine reminds me of the S65 from BMW. (08-13 M3s) -- While it's not as high strung and makes loads more torque it loves to rev. I fully expected a grunt of a motor with an abrupt power delivery that then falls on its face. Not the case at all. Smooth wave of power all the way to redline. Makes all the right noises too. The motor is amazing.

The transmission is leagues better than BMW. I read about how the M82(?) isn't good, or grindy or whatever, but I prefer this one 10 times over the mop in a bucket feel you get with the E46 M3 for example.

Interior is fine. I purposely set my expectations low for this area and was pleasantly surprised. Didn't buy the car with interior on my mind.

Exterior is so subjective and from what I see a source of controversy so I'll just say I'm a huge huge fan of this one and all S550s from previous years.

Suspension is on point! No where close to as harsh as what I expected and from my brief experience driving the modes with stock springs capable as well as the majority of performance vehicles. I've since added GT350 springs as they're the only ones I can tell that work with the Magneride. After that upgrade I'd say harshness grew 10% while the look and feel while spirited driving grew 30%. Recommend this upgrade for the price all day long.

I also put 25mm wheel spacers in the rear. I wanted to do front, but the exsisting bolts out of the hub contacted the PP wheel. So, I'll have to trim a bit. I would've done it earlier but didn't have a 14x1.5 die at the shop. Black badges and LED reverse light round out the mods for now. Vertical links upgrade will be next.

Yep, I wrote too much. Took some pictures. Mostly close up since the car is filthy right now. Enjoy:

39955715101_4380cc428c_c.jpg
Front Side

39923696272_2df7cf37ac_c.jpg
6sp

28176133239_de2eafae3f_c.jpg
Accelerspeedo

39955713731_fc63b3efa3_c.jpg
Michelin

39057636805_1297924d09_c.jpg
Mustang
Very nice review and congrats on the beautiful car. No such thing as too many pictures(and they are gorgeous ). As you will see I too get verbal diarrhea when I start talking cars ,especially mustangs

I too used to be a BMW faithful and loved the S65 in my E90 M3 ....but it had too little torque and you had to keep it on the "boil" always with rpm's above 4000 rpm .

The Voodoo motor is the same way with > 8000 rpm redline but on steroids .

I had a 2009 E90 (with the N54) before the M3 and really missed the torque of that motor .I ended up trading the M3 after the warranty was up (I was tempted to supercharge it ) for an Audi S4 , my daily driver and it's a keeper . Best thing for this horrible Indiana winters . I drove the M3 with snow tires through 5 Indiana winters and it was liveable but the S4 with snows is a different ball game.

I went back to the TT /inline N55 with the M235 soon after as my "other" daily drive .I added a piggy back tune and it was a rocket ! it went 11.9@ 115 .It was going to be a keeper but my daughter had other plans!:headbonk:

Anyway , I love my 18/A10/PP1/magneride/active exhaust . The 18's feel like an entirely different car from the 15's .Much better build quality .The doors close with an Audi like thud and the steering wheel is so nice(not quite Audi but close ).The Gen 3 coyote is definitely smoother than the 2 previous no Di versions and feels way stronger than I remember my now heavily modded 15's felt stock .This will be the first mustang I have had that will be keeping the stock exhaust -it's just perfectly loud in track and still sounds good even in quiet mode.

The ride quality/handling is the best I have ever had in a stock mustang and everything feels tight.The magneride is definitely not as stiff as it is in the GT 350 , but much better for daily driving .Even the ride height is better than any previous model stock (usually have the 4x4 look) .It still needs a drop especially up front to look right .I did the FP springs on my GT 350 and the drop was very minimal with not much change in ride quality and handling but it's a street car .

Eibach does make a lowering spring for the magneride on the GT 350 with larger drop up front (0.9 vs 0.7) .The eibach lowered GT 350's look much nicer (than the ones with the FP springs) so I am leaning towards those for my 18.I have 20 mm spacers on the front wheels of my 15's and they work well .

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74488&page=8

I am trying to keep the 18 as stock like as possible (other than the Whipple since no longer holding out for The GT 500) so hoping to be able to get away with minimum suspension and drive line upgrades .I know at a minimum I will need the IRS cradle lock outs for the wheel hop . At most I hope I don't need more than upgraded half shafts (might not if the lock outs cure the hop) May be a one piece drive shaft but that's it .Not interested in converter this time .

I would hate to end up like my 15's which feel(and run ) like race cars as I hear and feel every rattle . Lol

When I am done drag racing and modding mustangs(in 2 years ?) that M5 that just ran 10.9@129 may be the ultimate " all season" carreplacement for my Audi.
Should cost a bit less than $100k also by then.
Lol

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Congrats on new Mustang, great conquest sale for Ford.

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT PP
I also come from the BMW world. Welcome.

I was debating between my 17GT and an E92 M3 (dream car at a time). Glad I went with the Mustang.
I was in the same boat. I almost pulled the trigger on a Lemans Blue E90 but found my Lightning Blue '17 used at an Audi dealership and very happy with my choice. :headbang: However it wasn't so hard of a choice as I had an '11 GT/CS before this.

Congrats on your choice OP!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've been saying it for a while. I own an R but the GT has been the real performance bargain since the introduction of the Coyote platform. The IRS and Magnetic ride are icing on the cake - the last pieces of the puzzle, if you will.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
You have the new twin disc/ DMF updated MT 82 internals so that is a much better improvement than our 15-17s MT 82.

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
After leaving a quick post in the introduce yourself thread I felt compelled to share some photos and impressions of the 2018 Mustang GT from a Ford newbie. Warning, this will more than likely be long.

TLDR: Bought a Mustang. I love it.

I've worked, and still do, with BMW for over 14 years. It's really all I've driven, modded, wrenched, tracked, everything. However, there was always a little bug in my ear when it came to the Mustang. I suppose I can blame Nicolas Cage and Eleanor but that seems a bit too cliche even though I watched that scene hundreds of times. Something about the looks and styling always hit a high note for me. After changing a significant amount of things for 2018 I decided there was no better time than now to take a dive into the world of Mustang.

I did some research about the different options, packages and differences in the MY18. While silly to some I wanted a new car. Like, brand new. It would be my first non company car that has the "new car" scent. I also didn't want to order it. Only because I'm not patient and a local dealer had one that checked all of my boxes.

Magnetic/Cloth, 6sp, PP, 12" Sync3, Active Exhaust and Magneride. I'm exposing my ignorance here as I'm not sure if some are inclusive or not with packages but those were my must haves. As if it was meant to be I walked up to stock #180162 and knew I wanted it. Odo read 3 miles, smelled new and had what I wanted... I drove away in it an hour later.

I did the customary drive around town all day with a new car smile ear to ear. Varying engine speed and load. Taking it easy on the clutch. Bedding in the brakes. While not necessary it's habit after countless engine rebuilds, clutch replacements and brake jobs on project/track cars.

This engine reminds me of the S65 from BMW. (08-13 M3s) -- While it's not as high strung and makes loads more torque it loves to rev. I fully expected a grunt of a motor with an abrupt power delivery that then falls on its face. Not the case at all. Smooth wave of power all the way to redline. Makes all the right noises too. The motor is amazing.

The transmission is leagues better than BMW. I read about how the M82(?) isn't good, or grindy or whatever, but I prefer this one 10 times over the mop in a bucket feel you get with the E46 M3 for example.

Interior is fine. I purposely set my expectations low for this area and was pleasantly surprised. Didn't buy the car with interior on my mind.

Exterior is so subjective and from what I see a source of controversy so I'll just say I'm a huge huge fan of this one and all S550s from previous years.

Suspension is on point! No where close to as harsh as what I expected and from my brief experience driving the modes with stock springs capable as well as the majority of performance vehicles. I've since added GT350 springs as they're the only ones I can tell that work with the Magneride. After that upgrade I'd say harshness grew 10% while the look and feel while spirited driving grew 30%. Recommend this upgrade for the price all day long.

I also put 25mm wheel spacers in the rear. I wanted to do front, but the exsisting bolts out of the hub contacted the PP wheel. So, I'll have to trim a bit. I would've done it earlier but didn't have a 14x1.5 die at the shop. Black badges and LED reverse light round out the mods for now. Vertical links upgrade will be next.

Yep, I wrote too much. Took some pictures. Mostly close up since the car is filthy right now. Enjoy:

39955715101_4380cc428c_c.jpg
Front Side

39923696272_2df7cf37ac_c.jpg
6sp

28176133239_de2eafae3f_c.jpg
Accelerspeedo

39955713731_fc63b3efa3_c.jpg
Michelin

39057636805_1297924d09_c.jpg
Mustang
Very nice! I have an 18' GT as well and ordered the Ford Performance GT350 springs. I have them but just waiting to decide on where to have them installed. Did you go to Ford or to a local shop?

Could you post a few more pics of the car lowered so I can see some different angles.

Sponsored

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
congrats for the car, you just did it right, best color, PP, and the most important, a manual!

Have fun!

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I dunno why, maybe its the lighting and photography....but your car looks cool as hell.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Welcome! It always seemed odd to me the huge following BMW has in the Cinci and Columbus areas. I know why in Columbus, but man all the B'mers in Cinci. geesh.

I worked in Mason for years, and still get to Cinci a lot for business today, maybe we will run into one another one day (not literally I hope!)

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Welcome! Good to see more Cincinnati people on here. Beautiful ride man

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
What is the magneride for? To change ride quality settings? I have a PP and never once felt the need to change the suspension feel. Even on long highway slabs, the PP is sublime.
Sponsored