Sponsored

Things you'd like to see added to this gen or in the next gen Mustang

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
**Edit: Just want to note, don’t read this as an aggressive post - tone is hard to decipher via text so I’m just making sure you know :) **

No, I fully get the point you’re making, I simply do not feel as though it is relevant to my posts. You’re talking about 15 years from now, I’m talking about 2. You seem to actually not be understanding the point of my thread or what I am wanting from my car with these features. Wanting a Mustang to have the ability to self parallel park in an annoyingly tight space in center city Philly just like a Fusion could 10 years ago is not the death of Mustangs nor does it question “why are you driving a Mustang?” - it’s sane... who in the world likes to parallel park?!? :p
Wanting ACC and semi-autonomous driving on a tiring 3+ hour highway trip is just as sane and desirable.
However, I want these things as an option (not standard), and I want at least some assemblance of control on them; on when I have had a hard day or am on a long drive, off the other 80-90% of the time. The first time I took a 2 hour long trip to Delaware in my 2016 GT, after about 45 minutes all I could think was “I REALLY wish I got the ACC option”.

Yea, sure, eventually all cars will likely be autonomous and fun will be dead - I don’t want that either... but that’s also not what we’re talking about ITT. That “small niche” will never be enough to stop technology, that small niche doesn’t make Ford money, just like how that small niche wasn’t enough for Audi to keep manuals in S model cars.

The way the Mustang stays alive isn’t by holding back tech... that’s literally how it gets killed. The market could certainly allow two segments... but semi-autonomous w/manual control available and fully-autonomous is most likely.
Which keeping stuff like this in mind can certainly tell us one thing. It is a great time to be a car guy.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
My S650 wishlist :ford:

Add the 3 litre Ecoboost 6 cylinder engine to the lineup (400hp / 400 lb/ft)
Coyote 5.0 bumped to 475hp / 430 lb/ft in the GT
5.2 n/a V8 Mach 1 introduced with 530hp / 450 lb/ft
Continue to improve the interior quality of the materials

Evolution of the current S500 look, but with even more of a rake to the fastback roof :headbang:
S650 GT.jpg

Automobilist

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.transfueler.com
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
All Wheel Drive option...

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
1LE package. Including track ready cooling, HUD, dual mode exhaust, Brembos front & rear (& 2 piece front rotors), and Tremec trans not in PP2.

Optional performance data recorder (availible on the 1LE) would be nice too.

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I see a lot of people of listed HUD, flat bottom steering wheel, and mirrors that point down on reverse as wish list items. I do have all of those on my car and can honestly say, the HUD was sorta like the iPad for me. When the iPad came out I was like "what would I ever need this for? I have a phone, I have a laptop...". Then my wife got me one and it was like "ahhhhh". HUD was the same way. Awesome feature.

The flat bottom wheel is also a cool feature, especially on the track, but also in everyday driving.

The down-pointing mirrors....meh... As Rickycardo pointed out in his post, if you have your mirrors set to eliminate side blind zones, it's more of a nuisance than an aid. I turned the option off in the customization menu.

From the way everyone is commenting I am assuming that you all have your mirrors pointing straight back. My mirrors are aimed outward to cover my blindspots. When they point down I get a beautiful view of the ground. No tires, no curbs, just the ground 5 or 6 feet away from my car. So for everyone else the mirror-points-down feature may work well but for me it's just an annoyance that I'd like to turn off.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
HUD with tac, speed, and shift lights would be great.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I see a lot of people of listed HUD, flat bottom steering wheel, and mirrors that point down on reverse as wish list items. I do have all of those on my car and can honestly say, the HUD was sorta like the iPad for me. When the iPad came out I was like "what would I ever need this for? I have a phone, I have a laptop...". Then my wife got me one and it was like "ahhhhh". HUD was the same way. Awesome feature.

The flat bottom wheel is also a cool feature, especially on the track, but also in everyday driving.

The down-pointing mirrors....meh... As Rickycardo pointed out in his post, if you have your mirrors set to eliminate side blind zones, it's more of a nuisance than an aid. I turned the option off in the customization menu.
I hear ya! I want that HUD SO FRIGGEN BAD!
With the Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel, honestly, the GT350s fits the regular GT just fine and I would happily switch... BUT, I'm getting an 18 or 19 very soon and I really don't want to lose the heated function on the new wheel. :mad:
With the auto-tilt on the mirrors... yea, I'd rather just have curb cameras and/or a 360 cam :p :D

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it just comes down to preference, it's similar to the manual vs auto debate. Auto is far easier, faster and more advanced, but many people prefer driving a manual even if it's harder and less practical in every way. Same goes for parallel parking, for you it's the worst (and most will agree with you), but I know a few people that take pride in a good parallel park job, my dad is one of them.

I guess we'll just hope that things stay defeatable, because I certainly understand how it's more convenient for those that like the tech, but your enjoyment might only last for 1 or 2 generations of the Mustang before the defeatability is taken away (assuming you want to keep buying the latest Mustang). I think the niche could stay strong if you have the right demographic. For example the manual transmission take rate in the Mustang is much higher than it is in the euro sports cars because the euro guys like being on the cutting edge of technology and are willing to pay for it. For those cars, the manual transmission is a contradiction, a mixed-message in a way. For a car like the Mustang, the whole formula is old-school. BMW easily makes the same 460 hp from a small turbo 6 that Ford uses 2 additional liters of displacement and 2 extra cylinders to do the same. It's just a different approach. I prefer Ford's old school way and this is why I have hope they'll perserve driver involvement longer than the others...if the buyers support that mission and don't want it to be super high tech. Buyers in the 80s kicked back on the FWD Probe design, and the SVO idea and managed to keep the turbo 4 cylinder out of the Mustang for another 25 years or so, for better or worse. Just an observation. :)

And no worries, I'm not thinking you're being aggressive. Likewise, I just enjoy a good debate sometimes with an opposing view, no annoyance intended. Sorry to derail the thread. :cheers:
The FWD situation with the Probe was a whole different beast and wasn't about technology catching up; it was a radical change that would have stopped the Mustang from even being a Mustang. I certainly do get what you're saying, but this is kind of like how Ford cannot only make a V8 GT-level Mustang, having the (now dead) V6 and that Ecoboost selling so well is what allows the GT, which then allows crazy nonsense like the GT350/GT350R/700hp+ GT500. Adding more features that (most) people want equates to better sales, which equates to more money being pushed into Mustangs, which equates to more crazy "experiments" for the niche guys. In many ways, it is comparable to when the purists balked at Porsche for coming up with a family sedan and an SUV... But that SUV and sedan selling so well is arguably what now allows them to keep making the 911/911 Turbo. That hybrid Mustang that's coming in 2-ish model years is a good thing (for now... if Ford tries to drop V8s because of it... not so much) because it will generate more sales - just because I'm, personally, not interested in one doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that it's possibly good for the Mustang as a whole. Side note on that, if it does indeed match the V8's performance as Ford has claimed it will, but with 35+mpg... It's going to be hard to pass that up since Mustangs are my DD... Though I'm going out on a limb and saying that the (lack of an) exhaust note is why I'll still pass on that thing :p

With the parallel parking thing, yea, I know some people get excited over the challenge of it, and when I'm in a small-ish town with street parking and need to do it, it doesn't bother me and I'm fine at it - I'm talking about being on a busy NYC/Philadelphia street with a dozen cars behind me honking while I'm trying to line up for that tight squeeze - that's when I'd want to push a button and let the computer take it over perfectly :D

BTW - you're not derailing at all - I enjoy the discussion, otherwise I wouldn't bother responding to you :cheers:

PS: If you're interested, for your YouTube channel (I'm assuming you're Matt :lol: ), in about 6 weeks, if all goes according to plan, I may have a fully-loaded 2018 GT (PP, Magneride, 10-Speed, Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, 401a, Advanced Security) that you're welcome to review - my fiance's 2011 M56x (the sedan with the 5.6L V8 - which is apparently rare as heck) would be available for review too. :p

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The FWD situation with the Probe was a whole different beast and wasn't about technology catching up; it was a radical change that would have stopped the Mustang from even being a Mustang. I certainly do get what you're saying, but this is kind of like how Ford cannot only make a V8 GT-level Mustang, having the (now dead) V6 and that Ecoboost selling so well is what allows the GT, which then allows crazy nonsense like the GT350/GT350R/700hp+ GT500. Adding more features that (most) people want equates to better sales, which equates to more money being pushed into Mustangs, which equates to more crazy "experiments" for the niche guys. In many ways, it is comparable to when the purists balked at Porsche for coming up with a family sedan and an SUV... But that SUV and sedan selling so well is arguably what now allows them to keep making the 911/911 Turbo. That hybrid Mustang that's coming in 2-ish model years is a good thing (for now... if Ford tries to drop V8s because of it... not so much) because it will generate more sales - just because I'm, personally, not interested in one doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that it's possibly good for the Mustang as a whole. Side note on that, if it does indeed match the V8's performance as Ford has claimed it will, but with 35+mpg... It's going to be hard to pass that up since Mustangs are my DD... Though I'm going out on a limb and saying that the (lack of an) exhaust note is why I'll still pass on that thing :p

With the parallel parking thing, yea, I know some people get excited over the challenge of it, and when I'm in a small-ish town with street parking and need to do it, it doesn't bother me and I'm fine at it - I'm talking about being on a busy NYC/Philadelphia street with a dozen cars behind me honking while I'm trying to line up for that tight squeeze - that's when I'd want to push a button and let the computer take it over perfectly :D

BTW - you're not derailing at all - I enjoy the discussion, otherwise I wouldn't bother responding to you :cheers:

PS: If you're interested, for your YouTube channel (I'm assuming you're Matt :lol: ), in about 6 weeks, if all goes according to plan, I may have a fully-loaded 2018 GT (PP, Magneride, 10-Speed, Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, 401a, Advanced Security) that you're welcome to review - my fiance's 2011 M56x (the sedan with the 5.6L V8 - which is apparently rare as heck) would be available for review too. :p
I disagree, the Probe was supposed to modernize the Mustang. At that time, everyone was hyped about front wheel drive and rear wheel drive was considered old fashioned and inferior. Just watch any of Motorweek's Retro Reviews of some late 80s cars. They praise the ones with FWD and criticize the old RWD boats. Also, back then Turbo everything was cool. The Mustang enthusiasts back then that made a fuss were countercultural and proved that the old fashioned formula for a muscle car was still desirable.

I agree that adding some highly requested features does no harm, but there needs to be a line drawn in the sand again of what a Mustang should be. The things you're talking about are minor but I'm going to take this example to the extreme, here goes lol.

Look at Mitsubishi taking the Eclipse name for their new SUV that isn't even sporty. There's so many Mitsubishi fans that are so upset that they're not Mitsubishi fans anymore. SUVs are hot right now, so some can't blame Mitsubishi, but it's again where does that line need to be drawn. Thankfully Ford is more protective of the Mustang name, but what if sedan and sports cars sales dwindle to the point that the Mustang can only survive if it too becomes an SUV? Would we dig in and say "no way", or say it's the future and embrace it just because we want the name to continue production? Porsche did it smartly and made the SUVs but kept their sports cars true to what they always were. In about 5 years Porsche will have a hybrid 911 and that's simply because with many European cities banning gas engines by 2040, they have no choice, they have to go that direction. A hybrid Mustang and even a fully EV one is fine with me as long as the V8 continues to be made alongside it. But should it ever become fully autonomous? In my opinion, in the distant future when 100% of cars are autonomous and electric, a fully self driving, electric Mustang will really cease to be a Mustang in many ways outside of the styling. Thankfully we have a decade or two before we have to worry about that. /endtangent :p

Thank you for your offer. I'll PM you about that.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I disagree, the Probe was supposed to modernize the Mustang. At that time, everyone was hyped about front wheel drive and rear wheel drive was considered old fashioned and inferior. Just watch any of Motorweek's Retro Reviews of some late 80s cars. They praise the ones with FWD and criticize the old RWD boats. Also, back then Turbo everything was cool. The Mustang enthusiasts back then that made a fuss were countercultural and proved that the old fashioned formula for a muscle car was still desirable.

I agree that adding some highly requested features does no harm, but there needs to be a line drawn in the sand again of what a Mustang should be. The things you're talking about are minor but I'm going to take this example to the extreme, here goes lol.

Look at Mitsubishi taking the Eclipse name for their new SUV that isn't even sporty. There's so many Mitsubishi fans that are so upset that they're not Mitsubishi fans anymore. SUVs are hot right now, so some can't blame Mitsubishi, but it's again where does that line need to be drawn. Thankfully Ford is more protective of the Mustang name, but what if sedan and sports cars sales dwindle to the point that the Mustang can only survive if it too becomes an SUV? Would we dig in and say "no way", or say it's the future and embrace it just because we want the name to continue production? Porsche did it smartly and made the SUVs but kept their sports cars true to what they always were. In about 5 years Porsche will have a hybrid 911 and that's simply because with many European cities banning gas engines by 2040, they have no choice, they have to go that direction. A hybrid Mustang and even a fully EV one is fine with me as long as the V8 continues to be made alongside it. But should it ever become fully autonomous? In my opinion, in the distant future when 100% of cars are autonomous and electric, a fully self driving, electric Mustang will really cease to be a Mustang in many ways outside of the styling. Thankfully we have a decade or two before we have to worry about that. /endtangent :p

Thank you for your offer. I'll PM you about that.

Yes, I watch those retro reviews and love them and laugh at them, it’s wonderful. :D However, the Probe-Mustang was a huge departure and a radical redesign - we may be discussing different things at this point, but a modern “probe debacle” today would be if they tried making a sport-back sedan AWD crossover Mustang to replace the current RWD coup/convertible. Adding in lane keep assist or self-parking on the current S550 would be more equivalent to Ford adding cup holders to the 80s/90s Fox Body (legit one of the reasons I hated my 1990 LX Convertible Fox Body that I had in 2006 :lol: ).
In regards to Porsche, that’s exactly what I’m saying - having those “non-purist” EV/Hybird/i4-turbo Mustangs that the average schmo would want is what may allow us enthusiasts to keep getting a V8 for many more years. Honestly, I called that the V6 was going to be discontinued about 4 years ago when I saw limited trim options on it and a focus on the ecoboost (especially since Ford detuned the 3.7L so the ecoboost could have more horsepower), I said as much on another forum and was laughed at by pretty much everyone... needless to say I bumped that thread when the 2018s were revealed :lol: . That being said, the hybrid DOES have me worried about the V8’s future, thus the moment a HUD is available, I’ll likely switch to “buy” over “lease”.

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Get used to the current design as it will be here till 2025-2026.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I'm hoping for some kind of on-demand AWD system in the hybrid Mustang. Fishtailing across snow-packed roads is cool if I'm doing it on purpose for fun, but not so much when I'm just trying to get home with the groceries.