Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
So what's unique about this GT500?

Power to weight is said to be on par with the competition, aero is probably on par as well, DCT gives a fraction better power transmission, and Alpha has an inherently better chassis, so what does this have that makes it "kill the competition"? Bare in mind the competition has over a year to improve their halo cars to pour rain on Jimmy's parade.
I’m with you on this. I’ve been asking the same thing and no real clues. It’s likely stuff we won’t know until the car debuts or the “kill the competition” Is being severely overstated.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base

Power to weight is said to be on par with the competition, aero is probably on par as well, DCT gives a fraction better power transmission, and Alpha has an inherently better chassis, so what does this have that makes it "kill the competition"? Bare in mind the competition has over a year to improve their halo cars to pour rain on Jimmy's parade.
That’s the question. The 6:59 Camaro will possibly be out right around the release time for the GT500 too.

I definitely don’t see it taking that down. 1LE is the competitor but it won’t be when the 500 is released.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

I'm not so sure either. That carbon composite better be everywhere. The roof, the trunk lid, the hood, etc etc. Maybe some clever tricks active aero possibly? Shock tuning better be on friggin' point like with the GT350R. If the GT500 can hid its weight like the GT350 does PLUS get the weight down at the same time, that'll be compelling because it will definitely be all about the feel of the car and not just a collection of parts that sound good like the ZL1 (non 1LE).

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
it'll kill the competition in driving experience, not performance. Ford's OK with that.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm not so sure either. That carbon composite better be everywhere. The roof, the trunk lid, the hood, etc etc. Maybe some clever tricks active aero possibly? Shock tuning better be on friggin' point like with the GT350R. If the GT500 can hid its weight like the GT350 does PLUS get the weight down at the same time, that'll be compelling because it will definitely be all about the feel of the car and not just a collection of parts that sound good like the ZL1 (non 1LE).
I've considered the possibility that the splitter on the new car looked like it could be active..

Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I thought maybe it will have retractable wings and can fly or possible transform into Bumblebees counterpart......But seriously I am preparing myself to be underwhelmed while hoping the opposite.....But will still probably buy one....

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I've considered the possibility that the splitter on the new car looked like it could be active..
The splitter?

With a fixed bellypan and fascia I honestly don't see how this would be possible on the upcoming GT500.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Watching the video again, it does appear that its a rather small splitter.
It’s probably because it’s just the regular version, but also, there will be 150 extra lbs over the nose so it isn’t needed as much. Would be ok by me to have active aero in the rear but... for heavens sake, no more weight up front.

I did notice and if anyone can find a picture. The video is telling us what to expect, AERO. BUT watching the video I noticed nobody is talking about the roofline when the skin is being shed. It looks as thought the door is wider or maybe the positioning of the light, making it look so?
Screenshot_20180209-115729.jpeg

Last edited:

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Of course a Carbon Roof might lead to the return of the Heavy Glass Roof!

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Man, I've been getting dry humped by Ford for so long on this that I've lost my boner.

It better be cool.

Sponsored

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Look VERY carefully at :35 and :36. Doesn't that rear fender wheel well look rather...flared out?

Nice catch! After watching it again, that does look like it's heavily flared vs the GT/GT350.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
the video is too dark and hazy for me to see the rear.
I’d think that would be a $$$ venture but would be excellent to have 345 rubber in the back. Looking at the rear shot itself, it doesn’t appear to be wider but you never know.
The SA car is wide, but who knows until we see the full GT500 reveal.
C028AE06-0845-4958-877B-40D57E88FD02.jpeg
Screenshot_20180209-142910.jpeg

Last edited:

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I thought maybe it will have retractable wings and can fly or possible transform into Bumblebees counterpart......But seriously I am preparing myself to be underwhelmed while hoping the opposite.....But will still probably buy one....
BARRICADE FTW!

the video is too dark and hazy for me to see the rear.
I’d think that would be a $$$ venture but would be excellent to have 345 rubber in the back. Looking at the rear shot itself, it doesn’t appear to be wider but you never know.
The SA car is wide, but who knows until we see the full GT500 reveal.
uhmm... it looks "wide" (from the right) because it launched a little "twisted" (pulling to the right)... most likely it will have the "crowd detector" :headbonk:
Sponsored