Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Composite suspension stuff for sure.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
You think if the widen the rear a little they would add some bracing in the trunk?
No idea, I hope they do... however I don't know if they are going to do that.

If it happens to be a 2 Seater GT500R I would hope a rear brace in that version

I expect something like this (Like the BOSS302 LS):

M-6346612-A.jpg

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
No idea, I hope they do... however I don't know if they are going to do that.

If it happens to be a 2 Seater GT500R I would hope a rear brace in that version

I expect something like this (Like the BOSS302 LS):

M-6346612-A.jpg
I was thinking something along those lines. I sure would love to see them slightly widen the rear so they could get 335/345 tires back there!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I learned a little while ago that Pericak had requested of upper management an approval for something that was going to cost an additional 8 million dollars. My guess now is that it had to do with the DCT but for a while my hope was that it had to do with a new inner wheelhousing stamping or quarter panel that would fit a 345 without poking. I later found out that while a front fender variant (to allow for a wider wheel/tire) was easy for the GT350, a wider rear was a much greater expenditure and was simply not going to happen.

And I'd love to see an X-brace/RSD combination show up on the next GT500. I bought a kit from FRPP for my '09 GT500 the day they were available, sent them photos and details on fitment and they changed the part listing to expand it to fit GT500's too. It was a great kit at a reasonable price.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Would 8 million be enough for a transaxle?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope to find out eventually what exactly it was that he was pushing for. The way it was presented to me gave a me a really good feeling about the job he was doing. Simply put - he gets shit done and cuts through red tape very, very well. The end result has been a better Mustang. In this case, he apparently stepped up to the plate and requested something that nobody thought he, the team, the car....would ever get.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I hope to find out eventually what exactly it was that he was pushing for. The way it was presented to me gave a me a really good feeling about the job he was doing. Simply put - he gets shit done and cuts through red tape very, very well. The end result has been a better Mustang. In this case, he apparently stepped up to the plate and requested something that nobody thought he, the team, the car....would ever get.
Sounds like the DCT. No one pictured it in a pony car especially since the A10 was available.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Would 8 million be enough for a transaxle?
I read a few years back, maybe 7-10 years ago that it would cost about 70-80 million to tool up and give the Mustang IRS. The molds for stamping a simple hood costs millions to produce.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not certain of the 70-80 million dollar figure as being accurate but the claims regarding how much it was going to add to the cost of the S197 chassis didn't seem that much given the context of the entire run of that particular chassis.

http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/martens-irs-not-necessary-high-powered-shelby-cobra
https://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/22/report-s197-ford-mustang-could-have-had-independent-rear-suspen/

I would have gladly paid the additional $100 for an IRS in my '09 GT500. Apparently it was good. I had the opportunity to talk to Dean Martin about it as he was a vehicle dynamics engineer with Ford and finished his career there working on the S197. He told me he was handed the keys to a mule that was so equipped, drove it as required, and returned the car, reporting that it was ready. It was that good. And in the end, it got killed. Interesting story about the S197 IRS here...http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/2011/09/03/all-about-the-missing-mustang-irs/

s197-mustang-production-irs-1.jpg

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wow, great article.

Thanks for sharing

I'm not certain of the 70-80 million dollar figure as being accurate but the claims regarding how much it was going to add to the cost of the S197 chassis didn't seem that much given the context of the entire run of that particular chassis.

http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/martens-irs-not-necessary-high-powered-shelby-cobra
https://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/22/report-s197-ford-mustang-could-have-had-independent-rear-suspen/

I would have gladly paid the additional $100 for an IRS in my '09 GT500. Apparently it was good. I had the opportunity to talk to Dean Martin about it as he was a vehicle dynamics engineer with Ford and finished his career there working on the S197. He told me he was handed the keys to a mule that was so equipped, drove it as required, and returned the car, reporting that it was ready. It was that good. And in the end, it got killed. Interesting story about the S197 IRS here...http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/2011/09/03/all-about-the-missing-mustang-irs/

s197-mustang-production-irs-1.jpg

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Transaxle would be awesome! Especially because it might be possible to swap to a standard S550 :headbang:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Every part in a transaxle or IRS has to be engineered, designed, produced, tested, then often parts need to be tweaked before mass production. That 70-80 million figure came directly from an interview with a top Ford rep. I believe his basic answer was they saved that much money by not developing and re-tooling for IRS.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There's no way there's a transaxle. Sorry to disappoint.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
So what's unique about this GT500?

Power to weight is said to be on par with the competition, aero is probably on par as well, DCT gives a fraction better power transmission, and Alpha has an inherently better chassis, so what does this have that makes it "kill the competition"? Bare in mind the competition has over a year to improve their halo cars to pour rain on Jimmy's parade.
Sponsored