Sponsored

"Venom Kills Demons" - Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager)

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I’d bet a dollar they are taking the GT350 to make the GT500 and an R model would take light weighting a few steps further than the GT350R. Carbon rotors would shave 80lbs and a carbon driveshaft another 20. That would offset a good deal of the blower weight. What is the GT350R base weight with a blower?
I estimate the 350R base with the following:

Blower
Larger two piece steel rotors (as seen in pics)
DCT
Additional coolers, lines, liquids
Thicker halfshafts
Larger diameter AND width rubber (+2-3lbs a corner)

Whatever additional structural, and drivetrain strengthening required for the power.

3655 + 275-350

So very close to 4000.

As far as carbon rotors, I doubt it very much based on our current information and pictures.
Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Locked you in.. I call dibs.
Fine by me.

As far as carbon rotors, I doubt it very much based on our current information and pictures.
The R version might have CC Discs, CF wheels , 2 seater only and still weight a little over 4k pounds. For the regular expect a number around 4.1k pounds.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If the GT500R happens to weight less than 4000lb, you can have 1 month of my salary :lol:
Maybe I have missed something along the way but where did a GT500R come into play for the 2019MY?

As we all know Ford is very serious when it comes to maintaining it's history and legacy amongst all of it's high performance Mustangs and ever since the inception of the GT500 back in the Fall of 1966 as a '67 model right through to 1970 and then from 2007 to 2014 I do not recall a GT500R.

Not suggesting that there won't be light weight track specific GT500 vehicle in the near future but I have a hard time imagining it being called a GT500R.

Has this model been confirmed by Ford or is this all pure speculation?

:shrug:

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Maybe I have missed something along the way but where did a GT500R come into play for the 2019MY?

As we all know Ford is very serious when it comes to maintaining it's history and legacy amongst all of it's high performance Mustangs and ever since the inception of the GT500 back in the Fall of 1966 as a '67 model right through to 1970 and then from 2007 to 2014 I do not recall a GT500R.

Not suggesting that there won't be light weight track specific GT500 vehicle in the near future but I have a hard time imagining it being called a GT500R.

Pure speculation for my part on the R but we got a 350 and 350R. They need to shave another 200-300lbs off of these cars to maintain competitiveness. The camaro lost weight and I bet the next gen camaro is lighter again. A dreamy GT500R would bring us more aluminum and carbon fiber parts and maybe our first 6 figure stang off the lot. If they did another R model it will have to be a track specific street legal car. I could also see a drag pack version.

Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
If the GT500R happens to weight less than 4000lb, you can have 1 month of my salary :lol:
Not betting that. My pay fluctuates monthly/quarterly - that could be enough to max out your IRA and 401K or nothing at all depending on when the invoices go out. :-).

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Take it with salt rubbed in the eyes but CJ Pony claims to confirm CF rotors or maybe an option, https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/news/2019-shelby-gt500

Those with a CF drive shaft would offset 100lbs. Enjoy paying for them!!
Originally the document stated ceramic pads. This information was taken out of context and people started assuming carbon rotors.

If you read your own link you’ll see CJ talking about the largest steel rotors ford has ever used. Which incidentally will be heavier than the 350 units.

Only time will tell if an R/KR model will exist. Speculation at its finest. I do know that carbon rotors are really expensive. Would a 350R be worth 75k MSRP? Then ADM?

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Fine by me.

The R version might have CC Discs, CF wheels , 2 seater only and still weight a little over 4k pounds. For the regular expect a number around 4.1k pounds.
CC brakes would cut some weight over the 350R. Obviously we know the SC and cooling, and Dct for it are going to add some weight, but where else is so much weight gained? What is being addrd that you aren’t telling us? For reference a SS 1LE weighs about 3750 and ZL1 A10 weighs about 3925 so gained 175 lbs, that’s SC, cooling, manual to auto weight. So how does the 350R gain twice as much weight?? That’s with zero additional effort to cut weight. I’m not saying your wrong Cuz I know nothing but my math tells me something else is happening for that weight gain.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I wonder if it’s possible. Would ford go to an iron block for this setup for maximum reliability?

That would account for all the weight.

They doesn’t line up though.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
id say a CGI block. that would decrease weight while gaining durability, something that I heard was an issue when durability testing the 5.2 SC motor at high HP.

Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016

Inside information, but is up to you if you believe or not ;)

Pure speculation for my part on the R but we got a 350 and 350R. They need to shave another 200-300lbs off of these cars to maintain competitiveness. If they did another R model it will have to be a track specific street legal car. I could also see a drag pack version.
Maybe they shave some weight, maybe they not.... of what I’m sure is that the R won’t weight less than 4000. The R model will be a “track focused” GT500 which is not really a “track specific street legal car” (which the ZL1 1LE is not as well). About the drag pack I don’t think so. The GT500 will have a “Drag mode” but not an specific version since that’s not their focus (they are not Dodge).

Not betting that. My pay fluctuates monthly/quarterly - that could be enough to max out your IRA and 401K or nothing at all depending on when the invoices go out. :-).
Im just betting my salary, you don’t have to do the same with yours. I’m sure I will win whichever is the amount, but maybe that’s considered as cheating.

Originally the document stated ceramic pads. This information was taken out of context and people started assuming carbon rotors.

If you read your own link you’ll see CJ talking about the largest steel rotors ford has ever used. Which incidentally will be heavier than the 350 units.

Only time will tell if an R/KR model will exist. Speculation at its finest. I do know that carbon rotors are really expensive. Would a 350R be worth 75k MSRP? Then ADM?
CC discs for the R (again, as I said it before im not completely sure about this one, but it looks that it will be optional/included on that version). What it is for sure is that the regular GT500 Will have steel rotors.

CC brakes would cut some weight over the 350R. Obviously we know the SC and cooling, and Dct for it are going to add some weight, but where else is so much weight gained? What is being addrd that you aren’t telling us? For reference a SS 1LE weighs about 3750 and ZL1 A10 weighs about 3925 so gained 175 lbs, that’s SC, cooling, manual to auto weight. So how does the 350R gain twice as much weight?? That’s with zero additional effort to cut weight. I’m not saying your wrong Cuz I know nothing but my math tells me something else is happening for that weight gain.
I don’t know the specifics regarding the weight gain, but I do know that they worked on cutting some weight (but maybe not that much). I only know a few bits from the big picture and I’m more familiar with powertrain since basically that’s where I got the info, but I also had a heads up of the curb weight.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
id say a CGI block. that would decrease weight while gaining durability, something that I heard was an issue when durability testing the 5.2 SC motor at high HP.
That would explain it. A CGI block would be heavier than the equivalent aluminum cast.

From what I’ve read it’s primary weight savings are due to thinner structural blocks. But this is our issue

If ford uses the CGI for the 5.2 block, it will use the old tooling and current casts with the graphite iron, therefore gain somewhere in between an iron and aluminum unit. This is likely 50-60 pounds judging by the weight loss on the 2011 Gt500.

Curious now. More weight over the front = bad.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
High 10’s, just a bit faster than the Corvette Z06 and significantly faster than the Hellcat widebody.
Maybe if it has the automatic transmission option, which I'm pretty sure it will.
But, the Z06 runs low 10's, completely stock except for DR's.
(Check Youtube to verify my post, if you like.) All with 650HP/650TQ, at least 50 less HP than the new GT500. The new GT500 better run 10's.
I'm pretty sure it will though. :)

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Maybe if it has the automatic transmission option, which I'm pretty sure it will.
But, the Z06 runs low 10's, completely stock except for DR's.
(Check Youtube to verify my post, if you like.) All with 650HP/650TQ, at least 50 less HP than the new GT500. The new GT500 better run 10's.
I'm pretty sure it will though. :)
I know there are Corvette’s running low 10’s however I was talking about the 11 flat or high 10’s that they usually do bone stock.

Also, the Z06 is around 500lb lighter.

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
all the more reason to wait for a mid engine vette with 650+HP and 3400lbs;)
Sponsored