Sponsored

Would any Mustang owners near Sheffield mind helping a prospective buyer out?

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
After test driving a Mustang GT back in August and busily saving up my pocket money since, I'm finally ready to buy (used)... But I don't yet know whether it will actually fit in my garage.

I've been trying to get a couple of local dealers to bring a demo car out for a test fit, but I've been left hanging with promises of a call back that never happens. I foolishly let on that I wasn't looking to buy a brand new car, which probably explains why their interest suddenly diminished.

So I thought I'd see if I could ask a favour of any local owners near Sheffield/Rotherham - Just off Junction 31 of the M1 in the S26 postcode (Aston). Would anyone be willing to drop by my house and park in my garage?
I'd also love the opportunity to make a new friend haha.

The Mustang's dimensions are very similar to my Hyundai Santa Fe, which fits easily, but Ford's 'Width - Mirrors Folded' figure of 196cm (1956mm) seems to be wrong, since the drivers side mirror doesn't fold in as much. My own measurements of a Mustang with mirrors folded is approx 201cm.

The opening of my garage is 208cm with the weather strips, but the mechanism intrudes and narrows the gap to around 206cm. If Ford's dimensions are correct, it will fit easily. If my own measurement is correct, it's going to be tight.
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
once i'm allowed to drive again (probably next weekend) if i'm feeling up to it i'll run through and see if it'll fit though I suspect the answer is probably no

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
My garage door is 214cm wide not including weather strips which stop below the level of the wing mirrors. I can back the car in without folding the mirrors but it's very tight so I fold them just in case.

OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
That would be great [MENTION=26439]hinch[/MENTION], thanks!

[MENTION=25127]Spider[/MENTION] 214cm is also the width of mine between the wooden frame, then 228cm measured brick to brick so thereā€™s plenty of room if I had to get new doors. Is yours an up and over door? Itā€™s the daft arms that intrude into the space on mine, but whether it will clear it depends how high the Mustang mirrors are.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
That would be great [MENTION=26439]hinch[/MENTION], thanks!

[MENTION=25127]Spider[/MENTION] 214cm is also the width of mine between the wooden frame, then 228cm measured brick to brick so thereā€™s plenty of room if I had to get new doors. Is yours an up and over door? Itā€™s the daft arms that intrude into the space on mine, but whether it will clear it depends how high the Mustang mirrors are.

My garage opens up quite wide, wider than 228cm so I can open the door but I carpeted the wall to avoid damaging the door :D it's quite easy to back straight in first attempt every time. Reversing camera is excellent you must get it as it's necessary I think.

It's an up an over door but there's no arms intruding or anything

Sponsored

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
After test driving a Mustang GT back in August and busily saving up my pocket money since, I'm finally ready to buy (used)... But I don't yet know whether it will actually fit in my garage.

I've been trying to get a couple of local dealers to bring a demo car out for a test fit, but I've been left hanging with promises of a call back that never happens. I foolishly let on that I wasn't looking to buy a brand new car, which probably explains why their interest suddenly diminished.

So I thought I'd see if I could ask a favour of any local owners near Sheffield/Rotherham - Just off Junction 31 of the M1 in the S26 postcode (Aston). Would anyone be willing to drop by my house and park in my garage?
I'd also love the opportunity to make a new friend haha.

The Mustang's dimensions are very similar to my Hyundai Santa Fe, which fits easily, but Ford's 'Width - Mirrors Folded' figure of 196cm (1956mm) seems to be wrong, since the drivers side mirror doesn't fold in as much. My own measurements of a Mustang with mirrors folded is approx 201cm.

The opening of my garage is 208cm with the weather strips, but the mechanism intrudes and narrows the gap to around 206cm. If Ford's dimensions are correct, it will fit easily. If my own measurement is correct, it's going to be tight.
Hi Iā€™m near warsop could pop over sat as Iā€™m not at work , pm me details cheers

DaBigGinger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT & GT86
My garage door is 202cm at the narrowest (where the door mechanism runs inside the weather strips). It's tight, but if I can get it through the door. You'll be fine if you have 208cm.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Success, it fits! Huge thanks to [MENTION=26141]Symone[/MENTION] for stopping by this afternoon.

You might be seeing a ā€˜new ownerā€™ post from me soon!
lookers on savile street speak to delroy tell him dave with lightning blue from donny sent you they've got some good new ones and low mileage 2nd handers in at moment i'm sure he'll set you up with a good deal

Sponsored
OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
lookers on savile street speak to delroy tell him dave with lightning blue from donny sent you they've got some good new ones and low mileage 2nd handers in at moment i'm sure he'll set you up with a good deal
Called Lookers this morning, and after being passed around to a few different departments to find Delroy, it turns out he no longer works there! A guy checked used stock for me anyway, but they just have a couple at the mo that Iā€™d already seen online. I appreciate the suggestion though!

Thereā€™s 3 GTs I currently have my eye on from AutoTrader:
- DIB Ā£33495 980 miles in Derby (40 mins away). Already had 2 oil changes even with such low miles, but it will be due another in March for its 2 year service. Would be frustrating paying for a Ford service so soon that isnā€™t even required mechanically, just to get a stamp in the book.

- Red Ā£28995 25k miles in Manchester (1hr 30 away). Good price. High mileage for a Mustang but average generally speaking I suppose. Going to view this one next. If the condition and service history checks out. It might be a winner.

- DIB Ā£30590 7k miles in Essex (3+ hrs away). Exact spec I want with all options but no custom pack for black wheels/trim. Long way away and itā€™s a Private seller, which makes test driving and payment a little more awkward.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
wow he's left since start of november when i took mine back for warranty work. its amazing how fast dealers have staff turnover these days.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
brand new or 2nd hand what kinda deal you get on it if there's some good deals around I may have to grab a 2nd one once the 18 comes in the play and they're wanting to clear out old stock.
Sponsored