Sponsored

Any ideas on AC failure rates?

MustangPhil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, Magnetic, Black pack, Auto
So I bought a mustang a few weeks ago after pining over the s550 for the past two years. I bought one despite knowing about the seemingly common AC failures. I want to own this car for 10-12 years, should replacing the AC every couple years just be part of the budget for owning this vehicle? Are there any solid numbers on AC failure rates yet? It definately seems like the most common issue aside from panel alignment which while mine isn't perfect, is fine.

I don't have buyers remorse of any kind, I am just really concerned about the potential for AC failure. It seems like the people that are reporting it are experiencing multiple failures. Or a 100% failure rate over time. I'm just nervous about repairs after owning a corolla for 11 years that never saw a repair shop even once. But damn if that wasn't the most boring car ever.

Additionally are there any aftermarket parts that I could buy to increase the longevity of this seemingly guaranteed to fail part? My understanding is the system is mostly plastic, and just is junk. Are there better AC systems I could use?
Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
So I bought a mustang a few weeks ago after pining over the s550 for the past two years. I bought one despite knowing about the seemingly common AC failures. I want to own this car for 10-12 years, should replacing the AC every couple years just be part of the budget for owning this vehicle? Are there any solid numbers on AC failure rates yet? It definately seems like the most common issue aside from panel alignment which while mine isn't perfect, is fine.

I don't have buyers remorse of any kind, I am just really concerned about the potential for AC failure. It seems like the people that are reporting it are experiencing multiple failures. Or a 100% failure rate over time. I'm just nervous about repairs after owning a corolla for 11 years that never saw a repair shop even once. But damn if that wasn't the most boring car ever.

Additionally are there any aftermarket parts that I could buy to increase the longevity of this seemingly guaranteed to fail part? My understanding is the system is mostly plastic, and just is junk. Are there better AC systems I could use?
never heard of the a/c failing. mine's been fine for 2 years now.

dingobreath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT orange
If the rates of AC failure were that high, it would have been well reported by now and ford would have addressed the problem.

I wouldn't worry unless something happens, otherwise you are being paranoid for no reason.

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
if you are that concerned about it failing i would recommend you buy a ford esp plan. my compressor failed on my 11 gt and all i paid is 100 dollars for a 1500 repair.

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Mine is only blowing cold air from the passenger side. Going into dealer next week. 11k miles.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Mine is only blowing cold air from the passenger side. Going into dealer next week. 11k miles.
FWIW, mine stopped blowing cold air from any vent and also the fan speed was lower than normal. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and its been working fine since. There is so much programming in these cars just about anything short of a rod sticking thru the block makes disconnecting the battery worth a shot.

trbstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
87 5.0 LX, 16 PP GT Premium
We've had several failures in our local Houston S550 club, to the point that people are waiting weeks for replacement parts. One of the members works for Ford service, and he has replaced quite a few AC system parts. AC is not something we take lightly down here! Hopefully most of us will not have issues, but I did get a 6 yr warranty on mine so it will be covered until it is paid off.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
FWIW, mine stopped blowing cold air from any vent and also the fan speed was lower than normal. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and its been working fine since. There is so much programming in these cars just about anything short of a rod sticking thru the block makes disconnecting the battery worth a shot.
I think sometimes the sensors in the automatic HVAC can get confused.
A reset would solve the problem.

Pao_Silverstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost performance package
Mine stopped blowing cold air last Monday. I will go to the dealer this Tuesday.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My 17 has kinda weak AC. Takes forever to cool down compare to my 16. I hope it's not leaking.

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
If the rates of AC failure were that high, it would have been well reported by now and ford would have addressed the problem.

I wouldn't worry unless something happens, otherwise you are being paranoid for no reason.
Ummmm isn't that the DEFINITION of Paranoia?

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
There's a massive issue on what I believe to be non-performance pack cars for condensers. Then a lot of ecoboost and V6 cars as of late have been needing evaporators. Still have my contacts at Ford. Definitely something to be concerned with on these cars. It may of been just a bad batch of parts used on a specific subset of cars, or perhaps an early S550 issue.

I can tell you right now there are no TSB's or SSMs that i've seen as of yet.

Pao_Silverstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost performance package
I got my car back. The dealer said the problem is the evaporator core. He stated that its common on the new mustang and he have done several of it already. He said the new evaporator core is an updated version.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I got my car back. The dealer said the problem is the evaporator core. He stated that its common on the new mustang and he have done several of it already. He said the new evaporator core is an updated version.
Same thing, passenger side was only blowing out cold, hot was blowing out the driver side. They had to replace the core and received the exact same statement.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
There's a massive issue on what I believe to be non-performance pack cars for condensers. Then a lot of ecoboost and V6 cars as of late have been needing evaporators. Still have my contacts at Ford. Definitely something to be concerned with on these cars. It may of been just a bad batch of parts used on a specific subset of cars, or perhaps an early S550 issue.

I can tell you right now there are no TSB's or SSMs that i've seen as of yet.
Same thing, passenger side was only blowing out cold, hot was blowing out the driver side. They had to replace the core and received the exact same statement.

See the explanation I received here. It has quite a bit of info:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64509
Sponsored