Anybody have input on MGW vs Barton Hybrid 3

OP
OP

5.0Nasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Triple Yellow Eco Vert
The MGW mounting system is designed so that ...

1. You do not mount using bolts that are designed for the cross member.

2. gives you the ability to use a REAL driveshaft safety loop like the BMR one.

3. The triangular design is superior because it not only supports the shifter vertically, but actually causes vertical loads to actually be shared horizontally as well.

The race spec also uses a trunion design that allows the fore and aft to be shortened without the side to side to be shortened the same amount. To my knowledge, Barton and MGW are the only companies that offer this.

George

Is there any forum discount offered for MGW?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The MGW mounting system is designed so that ...

1. You do not mount using bolts that are designed for the cross member.

2. gives you the ability to use a REAL driveshaft safety loop like the BMR one.

3. The triangular design is superior because it not only supports the shifter vertically, but actually causes vertical loads to actually be shared horizontally as well.

The race spec also uses a trunion design that allows the fore and aft to be shortened without the side to side to be shortened the same amount. To my knowledge, Barton and MGW are the only companies that offer this.

George
Thanks George! The standard compact race spec is the tallest/longest throw, yes?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
yes with the standard height handle.

George
Thanks. I finally got to drive this exact version of the shifter last week and it is amazing. Combined with BG Syncroshift II in the MT-82 and it really couldn't feel better.

Sponsored

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I just installed the MGW Race Spec this past weekend.

It is a lovely piece of engineering. I did not expect the large increase in NVH that I got with this shifter. More a problem with my expectations than anything with the design of the shifter. Also, it is extremely stiff at the moment. Surely a couple of track days will solve this, but at the moment it's not what I was expecting and shifting can be down right difficult.

I was doing a clutch job, so having the transmission out made the installation about as simple as could be. MGW's installation video on YouTube is excellent and about as detailed as I've ever seen.

When I opened the box, all the pieces were there, including a checklist proving it. If only all the parts I ordered for this project were as thorough it wouldn't have taken me 3 weeks.

Certainly, I can't compare it to the Barton, but I can say that the MGW is everything they say it is. It's design and manufacture are clearly top-notch and if you went with the MGW you would not be disappointed.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
FYI...I am doing a TR6060 swap in the next two weeks. Have my GT500 swap specific shifter on order from MGW right now. I will be selling my current MGW off of the MT82 shortly.

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG

It is a lovely piece of engineering. I did not expect the large increase in NVH that I got with this shifter. More a problem with my expectations than anything with the design of the shifter. Also, it is extremely stiff at the moment. Surely a couple of track days will solve this, but at the moment it's not what I was expecting and shifting can be down right difficult.

I was doing a clutch job, so having the transmission out made the installation about as simple as could be. MGW's installation video on YouTube is excellent and about as detailed as I've ever seen.

When I opened the box, all the pieces were there, including a checklist proving it. If only all the parts I ordered for this project were as thorough it wouldn't have taken me 3 weeks.

Certainly, I can't compare it to the Barton, but I can say that the MGW is everything they say it is. It's design and manufacture are clearly top-notch and if you went with the MGW you would not be disappointed.

Although the Race spec does require about 500 miles to break in you should not have that type of reaction . I install them here EVERY week and get nothing but smiles driving out the shop road from daily drivers to seasoned racers.

If you did a clutch job also you better make sure it has not had something to impact the shifting!!

George

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I'm surprised you found any significant NVH with this shifter. When I drove [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION] car I did not notice hardly any, just a little vibration through the shifter, but mild at that.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE

I'm surprised you found any significant NVH with this shifter. When I drove [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION] car I did not notice hardly any, just a little vibration through the shifter, but mild at that.
Yeah, even after a fresh install I had no significant increase in NVH, just the vibration that [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] mentioned. Nice and quiet in the car, all I hear is the Borla S-type mufflers coming from behind me.

Sponsored

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Although the Race spec does require about 500 miles to break in you should not have that type of reaction . I install them here EVERY week and get nothing but smiles driving out the shop road from daily drivers to seasoned racers.

If you did a clutch job also you better make sure it has not had something to impact the shifting!!

George
This is not good news.

Since the clutch install, it sounds like there is a bunch of ground up ball bearings in the tranny, especially on deceleration. Re-installing the tranny was a nightmare because there are two tabs on either side of the tranny that are hard against the body as you raise it into position. Once the tranny was in, everything else seemed to go very smooth.

I really, really don't want to pull the tranny out again. The transmission didn't make any unusual noises before the clutch job. I replaced every component I could think of so that I wouldn't have to do this job again anytime soon including the throw-out bearing. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
This is not good news.

Since the clutch install, it sounds like there is a bunch of ground up ball bearings in the tranny, especially on deceleration. Re-installing the tranny was a nightmare because there are two tabs on either side of the tranny that are hard against the body as you raise it into position. Once the tranny was in, everything else seemed to go very smooth.

I really, really don't want to pull the tranny out again. The transmission didn't make any unusual noises before the clutch job. I replaced every component I could think of so that I wouldn't have to do this job again anytime soon including the throw-out bearing. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

did you figure this out?
no oil in the tranny?
pilot/throw-out bearing failure?

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
As it happens, I went to a local speed shop this morning and took one of their techs for a test drive.
His opinion was everything was normal, and the noises were simply from components I bought. He also said that the noise was predominantly from the aluminum flywheel, which is why his shop will not sell an aluminum flywheel. He said I would hate it until I either went back to stock or steel.
It was strangely comforting to find out that there is nothing wrong, except for the products I choose to install. I drove home suddenly and essentially happy with my car. Totally placebo effect. It even seemed to shift better.
The bad news is there is only steel flywheel for sale for the ecoboost at the moment, from Spec. He said I would probably prefer the Spec unit to the stock or the aluminum flywheel, but again, they won't sell them as they had one bad experience with a Spec clutch.
Going forward, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Getting the MT-82 in and out of the S550 is NOT fun and replacing the flywheel is not something I'm eager to do any time soon, even if I was interested in throwing good money after bad.
Part of me says I should just go beat the living snot out of it and hope it breaks, that way I won't feel as bad when I have to replace it. Nothing worse than throwing away perfectly good parts just because you don't like them.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
MGW... Buy that shit, and enjoy

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
I love love my barton. priced a little better, comes with a shift knob. Adjustable springs for side to side movement, and the flat stick is ooo so sexy.

IMG_20170225_203627.jpg
Sponsored