Sponsored

Anybody have input on MGW vs Barton Hybrid 3

5.0Nasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Triple Yellow Eco Vert
I haven't had much experience with different shifter brands before. I had a Hurst on my 05 years ago and have felt an MGW in an 06 but not driven it.
I was eyeing the MGW for my 16 GT just due to their reputation. Then came the new Barton. The Hybrid 3 is really catching my eye as I like the way it mounts to the trans better than the MGW. It looks to be a slightly easier install

Has anyone driven both or have any input to sway me one way or another? I'm so on the fence right now.
Sponsored

Bert03GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I also in limbo between the 2 but the MGW also mounts to the trans FYI...

OP
OP

5.0Nasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also in limbo between the 2 but the MGW also mounts to the trans FYI...
Yea I know that.
What I'm referring to is the MGW uses the side bars to tighten down around trans bolt heads.
The Barton actually mounts to the rear of the trans using the existing bolts. Just seems more secure and easier to get to.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I do not have a comparo - but can tell you that the MGW is the best mod I have done to my 2016 GTPP car.

Bert03GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Yea I know that.
What I'm referring to is the MGW uses the side bars to tighten down around trans bolt heads.
The Barton actually mounts to the rear of the trans using the existing bolts. Just seems more secure and easier to get to.
Lol I never paid attention to that. Ive been kicking both around for the last week and just cant pull the trigger.

Sponsored

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I am leaning towards the barton because you can choose to keep the pull up collar style for the reverse lock out. It just feels more natural because I can just put my thumb on top and slide my middle fingers around the collar and squeeze. It's kind of like I'm grabbing her by the reverse lock out.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There is no issue with how MGW mounts (and as such, triangulates) to the large factory capscrew heads. None.

OP
OP

5.0Nasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no issue with how MGW mounts (and as such, triangulates) to the large factory capscrew heads. None.
Fair enough. I haven't looked too close at the part of the MT-82 trans to get an idea of working room.
Like I said, I'm torn. They're also close in price

Bert03GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It just feels more natural because I can just put my thumb on top and slide my middle fingers around the collar and squeeze. It's kind of like I'm grabbing her by the ..... reverse lock out.
We're still talking about the car right!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The only things I potentially like better about the Barton is more side-to-side throw for similar levels of fore-aft throw reduction (they tout this), and the pull-up collar. I would get used to the push-down, so that's not a make or break for me. It just felt like there was so little throw to the left from neutral to the 1-2 gate that I doubted where I was.

OP
OP

5.0Nasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only things I potentially like better about the Barton is more side-to-side throw for similar levels of fore-aft throw reduction (they tout this), and the pull-up collar. I would get used to the push-down, so that's not a make or break for me. It just felt like there was so little throw to the left from neutral to the 1-2 gate that I doubted where I was.
Interesting point

mbusch84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple yellow 15
I have the Barton in my car and love it did the trans mount instead of the body mount I haven't noticed much noise difference from stock. I'm also running their additional springs that help with the 3 and 4 gear changes they go on the left and right of the shifter when installing so you have some resistance on the 1-2 change and 5-6 but can bang 3-4 without even thinking about it.

mibairho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, FP Roush S/C
I have the hybrid 3 and it's by far one of the best upgrades I did with the exception to the supercharger. I can't say it's better, because I only know about the Barton. I highly recommend it. Super fast shifter with a can't miss 3rd gear. You won't be disappointed

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
The MGW mounting system is designed so that ...

1. You do not mount using bolts that are designed for the cross member.

2. gives you the ability to use a REAL driveshaft safety loop like the BMR one.

3. The triangular design is superior because it not only supports the shifter vertically, but actually causes vertical loads to actually be shared horizontally as well.

The race spec also uses a trunion design that allows the fore and aft to be shortened without the side to side to be shortened the same amount. To my knowledge, Barton and MGW are the only companies that offer this.

George
DSL017_small.jpg
MGW S550 MT-82 Shifter e 4web.jpg
Sponsored