Paint is spot on

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
The paint on the 17 mustang GT is right up there with the best. Check out the hood.
image.jpg
Sponsored

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Looks amazing. Personlly though I think the paint on these cars is not that great as far as durability goes.

Flat Stanely

Yea, it's Stanley, I know
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K.C.
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Looks amazing. Personlly though I think the paint on these cars is not that great as far as durability goes.
They're good for what they are. You figure they use a lot of these colors on their cheapest cars. Hands down worst paint for what you pay is on Subaru WRXs and STIs....it's like driving with an old egg shell loosely affixed to the car. I'm sure there's some guys on here who can back me up

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
In comparison to old school enamel paint, pretty much any water-borne modern paint sucks as far as durability goes.

When I took delivery of my '16, the first thing I asked was if their prep guy buffed it. The paint was/is super smooth with virtually zero orange peel. It looked (and still looks) amazing for a factory paint job.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
There is certainly some orange peel on my ruby red if you look really hard for it but the overall effect is pretty beautiful anyway.

TC :cheers:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The paint on my black GT is pretty good ... hood is same as the OP's photo. Wonder if Ford tries to put the paint down better on black since it will show orange peel an any minor flaws like no other color.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
no better than the '16, owned both.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It does seem like factory paint is sanded down and polished to remove orange peel.
I can see sand marks here and there on both of the S550 I've owned.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
Both the 16 and 17 have orange peel on front fenders

Sponsored

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Don't think i have seen a hood look that good since the 70's.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
That is effing glorious.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Mine had a defect in the hood in the paint itself under the clear coat, was easily fixed before delivery. There are a few very small runs in a couple spots like the front corner of the front fenders and such, not bad but in my opinion not great. Ford doesn't have a great reputation for quality paint, my Fiesta ST had some issues as well.

OP
OP
5.0 435

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Bumper gap panel perfect.

Almost no orange peel I mean basically none.... best paint ever. I would say the paint is better then on my 16 Shelby. The Shelby has the rear panel gap problem but not on the 17. Even the sales manager said ford has worked on that problem. So they are aware of it.
I've had classic cars in the past and it takes money to get that perfect glass finish. I don't expect that on a mass produced car. But the cars are getting better.
image.jpg

Last edited:

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
But you've got to admit, for a vehicle that is mass-produced, they are churning out some quality stuff. Compare to a Mustang from the 90's, 80's or even the '70s - and these cars are effing glorious in comparison.

Wonder if Ford tries to put the paint down better on black since it will show orange peel an any minor flaws like no other color.
Black cars through-out time usually get slightly better preparation. Back in the 60's and '70s with Chrysler or AMC in particular, there was a $16 dollar surcharge for black-painted cars. It was to cover the additional prep necessary to turn out an acceptable job. Dunno if Ford ever did that to my knowledge. I know on certain models, both Ford and GM did not allow black paint as an option simply to keep costs down.
Sponsored