Sponsored

Weird vibration sensation in clutch

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this sensation I recently got in my car. I have a GT PP 6M.

The other night I was driving home from work and about halfway through my highway commute I made a shift from 6th to 4th (double clutch, not just jamming it in gear) to make a pass. The shift was smooth, I made the pass and went on my way. When it came time to get off I down shifted and upon letting out the clutch I felt a buzzy vibration in the clutch pedal as it entered the friction zone. The shifts were still smooth but I was getting a slight vibration every time I let the clutch out into another gear.

Cut to today when I left for work. The car was completely cold and the vibration was still present. I did multiple up shifts and down shifts to see if it was present during both engagements. The clutch vibrated and buzzed on every release into a new gear. I got to work parked it (a little pissed to since the car only has 1500 miles on it) and went about my day.

As I left work tonight the vibration was still present. I let the car warm up and as I made my way onto the on ramp, I went WOT from 2-5 gear. When I merged and went to shift into 6 the vibration was gone on the clutch release. Again i made a down shift and up shift or two to see if it was actually gone. After not being able to feel it in 4-6, I got off early to take back roads. I did not get the sensation on any of my shifts all the way home. I probably made another 50 clutch engagement/disengagements on my way home. Its almost like the clutch heated up after the on ramp romp and cleared up the vibration.

The vibration almost reminded me of a bit of glazing on the clutch and when I got on it the heat cured the issue. I never slip my clutch between shift unless I'm starting from a stop, and even then that is minimal. Has anyone felt anything similar? Can anyone give me insight as to what may have caused the vibration? I really do love this car, but I feel the trans is such a weak point. I am almost afraid to flog the car because I'm afraid the trans will explode at any moment. When I had the sensation there was 0 clutch slippage. I checked by putting it in 5/6th and flooring it. The rpms didn't jump and they only rose as the motor wound out.

At least for the time being the vibration is gone/:clap2:
Sponsored

gtlaw

JcRoush hater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
My pedal feels buzzy on engagement sometimes I suspect its normal for these cars

OP
OP

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
My pedal feels buzzy on engagement sometimes I suspect its normal for these cars
My wife and I went on a long drive to meet family for breakfast and I had 0 engagements that had the vibration. So for the time being I think it's gone.

Again it reminded me of a partial glazed flywheel that somehow went away. Maybe if there was any deposits on it from the clutch plate it cleaned off for now. I was under the impression that once the deposit settles on the flywheel or a spot hardens it's impossible to fox it unless you pull it out.

I don't know what the issue is, but I'm fortunate it's gone for now.

Cobrakev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
My car does the same thing. It has that buzz until the rpm's begin to drop. I think it has something to do with the way the car holds the rpm's for a sec then drops them. I find it weird to not have the rpm's to drop right away

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My wife and I went on a long drive to meet family for breakfast and I had 0 engagements that had the vibration. So for the time being I think it's gone.

Again it reminded me of a partial glazed flywheel that somehow went away. Maybe if there was any deposits on it from the clutch plate it cleaned off for now. I was under the impression that once the deposit settles on the flywheel or a spot hardens it's impossible to fox it unless you pull it out.

I don't know what the issue is, but I'm fortunate it's gone for now.
My car does the same thing. It has that buzz until the rpm's begin to drop. I think it has something to do with the way the car holds the rpm's for a sec then drops them. I find it weird to not have the rpm's to drop right away

Hey guys,

I hope you're loving the new Pony's! Let me know if the clutch issue continues/returns. I can't say for certain if this is a characteristic or not, but if it's a concern, send over a PM and I'll get this escalated. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Sponsored

OP
OP

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
Vibration is back. Anyone else getting this.

It's still only vibrating when engaging in the friction zone. No grinding, sticking, or slippage. Just a really annoying high frequency buzz in the pedal. It comes and goes.

edscoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic gray PP
I own the same car . I bought the car on May of 2015. The car has been having problems ever since the car had like 600 miles on it . When I bought the car I waited for about 400- 500 miles before I started to give it some real throttle since I read that these car are pretty much broken into already I didnt waste time and I started driving it hard . I am an experienced driver, I have own manual transmission all my life. I have owned slow cars and fast car and I have never ever had an issue with a clutch . But with this car , I did about 6 or 7 hard runs and the clutch was completely gone . The reason why I am bringing this to your attention is because my clutch never slipped . But it did have the same symptoms at first. Who knows it might be that it's a normal thing or it might be the starting symptoms of a bad clutch. I have replaced the clutch once already. And the second one it's gone already.

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I own the same car . I bought the car on May of 2015. The car has been having problems ever since the car had like 600 miles on it . When I bought the car I waited for about 400- 500 miles before I started to give it some real throttle since I read that these car are pretty much broken into already I didnt waste time and I started driving it hard . I am an experienced driver, I have own manual transmission all my life. I have owned slow cars and fast car and I have never ever had an issue with a clutch . But with this car , I did about 6 or 7 hard runs and the clutch was completely gone . The reason why I am bringing this to your attention is because my clutch never slipped . But it did have the same symptoms at first. Who knows it might be that it's a normal thing or it might be the starting symptoms of a bad clutch. I have replaced the clutch once already. And the second one it's gone already.
You've replaced the clutch twice on a brand new car in 5 months? That's insane man! Serious issue.

On another note, I also feel the buzzy vibration in my clutch pedal. Not all of the time, but I have noticed it. While I haven't felt this in any of the other Mustangs I have owned, it doesn't necessarily feel like a problem.

edscoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic gray PP
Idk it might be my driving. But like I said I have driven manual cars pretty much all my life and I have never had an issue like this . Worse thing is that Ford hardly ever respects your warranty when it comes to the clutch because they can blame the issue on you all day . That's what they did to me. This time I'm not taking chances and I'm putting stage 2 or 3 clutch. I like to drive my car hard and that's the reason why I bought a sports car. I don't want to worry about the clutch anymore.

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Idk it might be my driving. But like I said I have driven manual cars pretty much all my life and I have never had an issue like this . Worse thing is that Ford hardly ever respects your warranty when it comes to the clutch because they can blame the issue on you all day . That's what they did to me. This time I'm not taking chances and I'm putting stage 2 or 3 clutch. I like to drive my car hard and that's the reason why I bought a sports car. I don't want to worry about the clutch anymore.
In my previous mustangs I'd go through the stock clutch pretty quickly so I'd install the cobra one and those last much longer. Not sure options on these new ones but ive really mellowed out. Still, 5 months and two clutches sounds crazy. You should really review the way you drive to make sure it isn't you. Or at least drive mellow for a few months and see if clutch still goes out and if so Ford can't blame it on you at that point.

Sponsored

edscoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic gray PP
I just took the car to Ford. They are replacing the clutch for free this time because they found out its an issue with the slave cylinder or the pressure plate. They are giving me a refund for my first clutch aswell. It wasn't my driving after all. Still be carefully withat clutch and tranny. They are made out of glass. Oh and the axles were gone aswell . ETA is 4 weeks on that . Soo I'm gonna be driving a rental for a while.

stephenkaili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello, I'm fairly new here. Has anyone had any updates on this issue with the weird clutch pedal vibrations. I was wondering if its just normal. I had a 2010 GT and I don't remember having the vibrations from the clutch pedal. My car is new with maybe 1100 miles. I'll feel it when going from 1st to second gear. The vibration happens when the pedal is closest to the firewall. I notice that after driving it for maybe ten minutes it seems to go away. The vibration is similar to the feeling of your phone going off, but only once.
Thanks for you help in advance.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I have a whirring noise going from 1st to 2nd on med to hard acceleration. This started around 1200 miles. I assume this is different than what the op is talking about.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Hello, I'm fairly new here. Has anyone had any updates on this issue with the weird clutch pedal vibrations. I was wondering if its just normal. I had a 2010 GT and I don't remember having the vibrations from the clutch pedal. My car is new with maybe 1100 miles. I'll feel it when going from 1st to second gear. The vibration happens when the pedal is closest to the firewall. I notice that after driving it for maybe ten minutes it seems to go away. The vibration is similar to the feeling of your phone going off, but only once.
Thanks for you help in advance.
You resurrected a 3 year old thread.
No telling if you are having the same experience. I remember reading in here about the two-piece driveshaft and bearing causing unwanted vibrations.

I would drive it more to see when it is most prominent, or if you can differentiate from motor, or drive, etc. Then take it to the Dealer.
Sponsored