If you're breakin' shit.....you're doin' it right! :headbang:

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
So I clocked my driveshaft 180 degrees and a good amount of the vibration is gone. I now start to feel it at 100mph and by 130 is getting bad. Maybe moving it one bolt clockwise or counter-clockwise would be the ticket?

The other thing, on the clicking from the left axle. I think I know what it may be. When I was removing the axle nut on the left wheel, I accidentally tightened it before I loosened. I was using an Ingersol Rand W7150 impact which puts out over 800 ft/lb of torque. Im thinking I may have put flat spots in the bearing race by pressing the wheel bearing too tight.

Does a bad wheel bearing make a clicking noise? Other strange thing I noticed about it is pressing the brakes makes the clicking stop and turning hard left or right makes it stop.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tony

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
This isn't the first auto diff to break. Get a stock manual one as they are iron.
For clarification, are you saying that the differential for manual transmission cars has an iron housing and automatics use an aluminum housing?

Sponsored

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For clarification, are you saying that the differential for manual transmission cars has an iron housing and automatics use an aluminum housing?
Yes - all automatics come from Ford with a cast aluminum diff housing. All manual cars come with a cast iron diff housing.

Tony

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Yes - all automatics come from Ford with a cast aluminum diff housing. All manual cars come with a cast iron diff housing.

Tony
That's interesting. Do you know what the rationale is for that? Also, does this mean that my EB PP 6sp also has an iron housing?

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting. Do you know what the rationale is for that? Also, does this mean that my EB PP 6sp also has an iron housing?
The only thing I can think of is they gave the autos an aluminum housing to keep the weight in line with the manual cars. I'm sure when they did testing, they found the automatic was soft enough on the drivetrain so as not to stress the housing front mounts.

However, on the manuals, one can't really prevent someone doing clutch drops which put tremendous shock stress on those components. I'm sure they broke a few in testing so went with an iron housing.

This is all pure conjecture on my part as I'm not a Ford Engineer nor was I part of the Mustang design team.

As far as I know, your ecoboost manual should have an iron housing. It's real easy to tell, if you look under there and notice where the driveshaft connects into the front housing, you should see a rusty housing. If it's not rusty, it's aluminum.

Tony

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Tony
All 2018 S550’s equipped with the Performance Package now come with a Torsen rear diff, which is an iron case and has 3.55’s (standard). This is inclusive of the GT and EB, regardless of transmission.

A 2018 NON-PP EB still has the 3.15 limited slip rear with aluminum diff case.

Prior to 2018, the EB w/PP did not come with a Torsen or iron case diff.

If the diff case prior to 2018 is coated black OR if bare and is surface rusted - it’s an iron case. Aluminum cases don’t rust and were bare metal.

TIP:
- If the rear diff has Trac-loc guts, you won't be able to see through it with axles removed. There will be a "bar" in the hole which is for the spider gears.

- If the rear diff has Torsen guts, you'll be able to see through it with axles removed.

Last edited:

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
All 2018 S550’s equipped with the Performance Package now come with a Torsen rear diff, which is an iron case and has 3.55’s (standard). This is inclusive of the GT and EB, regardless of transmission.

A 2018 NON-PP EB still has the 3.15 limited slip rear with aluminum diff case.

Prior to 2018, the EB w/PP did not come with a Torsen or iron case diff.

If the diff case prior to 2018 is coated black OR if bare and is surface rusted - it’s an iron case. Aluminum cases don’t rust and were bare metal.
I have a 18 base with 3.55s so I have cast housing?

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So to follow-up on a couple open issues:
  • Driveshaft vibration issues
  • Clicking noise from left rear

I couldn't get the one-piece driveshaft vibration free. It's definitely an angle problem that will require shimming transmission mount/rear subframe. Frankly, I'm sick of f*cking with it so I bought a brand new factory 2-piece driveshaft. Swapped it in, ZERO vibration up to 150mph. I'll keep the one-piece as a backup in case I break another factory driveshaft.

The clicking noise turned out to be a bent brake pad retainer clip on the baer brakes. It was causing the pads to make that noise at certain speeds. I did replace the wheel bearing which was in fact fubared from me overtorquing the axle nut. Free spinning the bearing by hand out of the car and you can feel when it hits the flat spots. Rock auto has the complete Motorcraft bearing assemblies for 54 bucks - a great price!

Tony

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh?! Where? How much was it?! Is it plug 'n' play?
Levittown Ford Parts

Part #FR3Z-4R602-X

$342 bucks

Tasca Ford has them for $330

Totally plug and play. Comes with driveshaft to pinion flange bolts.

Tony
Sponsored