Sponsored

Catch can... is it too late?

fsuguy92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost - Competition Orange
Hey guys, I have a used 16 Eco - bought with about 29,000 miles on it. I'm now at 32,000 and it has never had a catch can on it. Am I too late to truly see the benefits and avoid blow by getting through or is it a good idea to throw one on ASAP?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Hey guys, I have a used 16 Eco - bought with about 29,000 miles on it. I'm now at 32,000 and it has never had a catch can on it. Am I too late to truly see the benefits and avoid blow by getting through or is it a good idea to throw one on ASAP?

Thanks!
Oh man :doh:

Is your car stuttering or stalling at idle? Does it hesitate to start? If not, you are fine. Two sides to this whole thing. Our engines are too new to know whether carbon build up is an issue or not. It's a roll of the dice really. Some people have had success not using a catch can, some like a catch can for cheap insurance if it does work. Bottom line, nobody knows for sure. Anyone who says different is speculating. I, personally, do not run a catch can and I have around 40k miles on mine. Still drives the same way it has when I first got it.

OP
OP

fsuguy92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man :doh:

Is your car stuttering or stalling at idle? Does it hesitate to start? If not, you are fine. Two sides to this whole thing. Our engines are too new to know whether carbon build up is an issue or not. It's a roll of the dice really. Some people have had success not using a catch can, some like a catch can for cheap insurance if it does work. Bottom line, nobody knows for sure. Anyone who says different is speculating. I, personally, do not run a catch can and I have around 40k miles on mine. Still drives the same way it has when I first got it.
Car never hesitates to start, very occasionally it will stutter at idle usually always right after getting gas and then it's fine. I'm tuned so I run 93 100% of the time. The stuttering started after I replaced the stock plugs with NGK's so I'm wondering if it's connected to the plug. Besides pulling them and looking at the plugs I'm not quite sure what else I'd be looking at to be honest...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Car never hesitates to start, very occasionally it will stutter at idle usually always right after getting gas and then it's fine. I'm tuned so I run 93 100% of the time. The stuttering started after I replaced the stock plugs with NGK's so I'm wondering if it's connected to the plug. Besides pulling them and looking at the plugs I'm not quite sure what else I'd be looking at to be honest...
In that situation, the one thing I would do is make sure the plugs have proper gap. Sounds like a gap issue. Are you 1 step colder?

Sponsored

OP
OP

fsuguy92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In that situation, the one thing I would do is make sure the plugs have proper gap. Sounds like a gap issue. Are you 1 step colder?
I'm 1 step colder and bought the pregapped plugs from Adam w/ Tune+.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros

besides triple checking your gap, sounds like you over torqued them, these engines are extremely sensitive when it come to spark plugs.

OP
OP

fsuguy92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
besides triple checking your gap, sounds like you over torqued them, these engines are extremely sensitive when it come to spark plugs.
Hmm, I used a torque wrench but it is possible that I did. Do you recommend removing and re-torquing them down? I borrowed a buddy's torque wrench but how would you recommend torquing them if doing it without one?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
31,000 miles and no catch can...

Another potential cause of hesitation and misfires is the injectors. I've had good success running Chevron Techron Concentrate+ through the system on the car (works on the injectors, even if it has no effects on the intake). Yes, the fuel injection system needs occasional attention too...:)

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
As for whether or not you actually need a catch can,

it's going to depend on lots of things. A leaky turbo seal or anything else that can put oil in the intake (some Ford dealer mechanics even say oiled air filters are bad news-search Youtube on that) can definitely cause valve deposits. The jury is still out on normal/spirited driving, as yes, some amount of PCV vapor gets injested by the engine regularly. It's going to take a driver like me to find out the long term effects. Well, I'm covered by Ford if it happens in the first 60,000 miles. Worst case, I'll get a free new cylinder head out of it :lol: (that is seriously how Ford has dealers take care of intake valve deposits in the Ecoboost!). If it happens out of warranty, there's plenty of shops that know how to media blast the intake valves in DI engines (they've been down this road with BMW, Kia, etc.) or you could just buy a DIY kit. Requires taking the intake manifold off and rotating the crank through until the intake valves in each cylinder are closed.

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t use cheap gas
+1. I'm not sure if the catch can has more than a negligible effect on carbon deposits (I run one just to be safe), but I always fill my Mustang up with Top Tier gas.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
never to late...

I have one and think it is an engine saver....:doh:

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
You mean these engines are sensitive just about everything.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
You mean these engines are sensitive just about everything.
Like any sports car " tolerances are tight" and maintaining is important my brother from turbo city.:ford:

Hi Japan..:headbang:
Sponsored