Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
There's been a few that I've seen. I took one apart over the weekend. It hadn't blown yet, but it had several ongoing issues. Cracked block, damaged/cracked piston, head gasket ready to blow, etc. He's getting a new block and we're building a new one and trying some new ideas.
What year motors?
Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
There's been a few that I've seen. I took one apart over the weekend. It hadn't blown yet, but it had several ongoing issues. Cracked block, damaged/cracked piston, head gasket ready to blow, etc. He's getting a new block and we're building a new one and trying some new ideas.
please show pictures ...

tuned or not..

step by step process or start a new thread.....:cheers:

S5fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Squirtle
Vehicle(s)
16' Mustang Ecoboost *Magnetic* Prem.
Good morning guys. Happy to say I have my Mustang back after it went Ecoboom. unfortunately Ford kept my aftermarket CAI and never returned it to me. I just realized it yesterday night when I popped the hood an realized the stock airbox was in there.

My cylinder 2 was the main reason why it exploded. Funny enough, I agree w/ the YouTube video that was posted at the beginning page of this post.

I had similar non aggressive mods on my ecoboost 16' Cleveland as well.

- JLT CAI
- LIVERNOIS 91 TUNE
- DOWN PIPE/EXHAUST

annnnd that's it... Simple mods that any car head would install.

I paid the full amount to Ford for a new engine & turbo. My main question however is as follows: CAN FORD REMOVE MY AFTERMARKET CAI & NOT GIVE IT BACK? That's a $200+ piece that I was never told they were going to remove. I checked my trunk to see maybe if they had stored it in there. But nothing.

Needless to say, I'm really happy I have my Stang back. But I want to check where this engine came from. Does anyone know when I pop my hood, where I should check to see the sticker info. for the engine?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I paid the full amount to Ford for a new engine & turbo. My main question however is as follows: CAN FORD REMOVE MY AFTERMARKET CAI & NOT GIVE IT BACK? That's a $200+ piece that I was never told they were going to remove.
No, they can't take your property. You should call the service manager and tell him/her what happened.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
If Ford covered the engine and didn't want you to use the CAI, then they should have asked and then proceeded to do whatever you agreed on. However, you paid for the engine and associated, so there was absolutely no reason to remove your belongings. I'd check the bill and see if they charged you for the new factory airbox, intake tube, and associated too.

I'd tell them that I want my parts back and that I want to be refunded (if you were charged for them).

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If Ford covered the engine and didn't want you to use the CAI, then they should have asked and then proceeded to do whatever you agreed on. However, you paid for the engine and associated, so there was absolutely no reason to remove your belongings. I'd check the bill and see if they charged you for the new factory airbox, intake tube, and associated too.

I'd tell them that I want my parts back and that I want to be refunded (if you were charged for them).
He paid in full..

Maybe he was getting warenty with new block
But I would ask for it back..

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
But I want to check where this engine came from. Does anyone know when I pop my hood, where I should check to see the sticker info. for the engine?
The sticker is located under the engine cover, in the front. You cannot see it, but you can stick your cell phone under the engine cover and take a photo.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Good morning guys. Happy to say I have my Mustang back after it went Ecoboom. unfortunately Ford kept my aftermarket CAI and never returned it to me. I just realized it yesterday night when I popped the hood an realized the stock airbox was in there.

My cylinder 2 was the main reason why it exploded. Funny enough, I agree w/ the YouTube video that was posted at the beginning page of this post.

I had similar non aggressive mods on my ecoboost 16' Cleveland as well.

- JLT CAI
- LIVERNOIS 91 TUNE
- DOWN PIPE/EXHAUST

annnnd that's it... Simple mods that any car head would install.

I paid the full amount to Ford for a new engine & turbo. My main question however is as follows: CAN FORD REMOVE MY AFTERMARKET CAI & NOT GIVE IT BACK? That's a $200+ piece that I was never told they were going to remove. I checked my trunk to see maybe if they had stored it in there. But nothing.

Needless to say, I'm really happy I have my Stang back. But I want to check where this engine came from. Does anyone know when I pop my hood, where I should check to see the sticker info. for the engine?
At this point I'm fairly convinced the Ford Performance tune is about all the 2.3L EB can take reliably on pump gas. There's a laundry list of blown EB's on this forum now with after market tunes, including Livernois despite their claim they "had never failed a customer engine". If you throw a rod and pay for a new engine, you mine as well have just bought a GT because that was the price difference, 7k! Most people aren't zealous enough to buy a used 2.3L and swap it out in their garage. I thought I was pretty brave just doing the diff swap last year....

The Ford Tune is basically what Ford would have gotten in their factory tune if they chose not to allow 87 octane + a little throttle remapping. It puts the EB right in the middle of the V6 (now defunct) and the second generation 5.0's (435 hp).

We even have one or two with the FP Tune that have gone belly up, but given the volume of sales of FP compared to many others I'm going to wager their engine tuning is very well tested, especially since they offer a legitimate warranty they are on the hook for and the fact that their 60k simulated wear test showed no discernable difference in wear between the factory tune and theirs.

Pushing much further on pump gas is asking for problems based on what I've seen, you can only get so much power out of that engine reliably. Sure, you can make near GT power levels on the stock block, I think the record was what, 399 whp? That's besting a 5.0...problem I doubt that engine is still in one piece by now...You want more power on the stock block than what FP can deliver? You need to use ethanol blends like what Juben was running. The E85 cars seem almost immune to failure comparatively and that's because ethanol blends are extremely resistant to knock. That 450 page research paper on LSPI I posted a while back show a bunch of data on fuel types and their knock resistance. Ethanols were the top performers.

Still need more power? Use a built bottom end and big turbo, but for that cost why not just step up to a stock 5.0 which also has huge room to grow itself? Ford Performance offers a stage 3 power pack for the 5.0, 37 hp peak gain and 60 hp gain at 7500 RPM. The RPM range alone is a huge advantage on a track, you can run out the lower gears longer = faster times. Or you could go with their super charger kit, 670 hp on pump gas....

My FP Tuned EB was at 36,500 miles and no issues as of two days ago when I traded it in for a 2016 GT PP in Ruby Red (beautiful color, love the factory large stripe, heat extractors on the hood etc.). I ran the ecoboost hard from day one, but despite all the mods it still wasn't where I wanted it to be and to me it made more sense to set up to the 5.0 at that point as I did not believe based on the data that the stock block would reliably take any more and that's exactly what I did. 430 HP on 87 pump gas :D. If you really want, you can get those 5 hp back by using 91~93 with the 5.0...but I digress, the EB is a great car with just a tune and inter cooler at it's price point, but it does have limits. Problem is, there's a big portion of Mustang owners that want V8 power from the little 2.3 on pump gas with the stock block...just not gonna happen...at least not for more than 20k~30k before you get the eco-boom :(.

Last edited:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point I'm fairly convinced the Ford Performance tune is about all the 2.3L EB can take reliably on pump gas. There's a laundry list of blown EB's on this forum now with after market tunes, including Livernois despite their claim they "had never failed a customer engine". If you throw a rod and pay for a new engine, you mine as well have just bought a GT because that was the price difference, 7k! Most people aren't zealous enough to buy a used 2.3L and swap it out in their garage. I thought I was pretty brave just doing the diff swap last year....

The Ford Tune is basically what Ford would have gotten in their factory tune if they chose not to allow 87 octane + a little throttle remapping. It puts the EB right in the middle of the V6 (now defunct) and the second generation 5.0's (435 hp).

We even have one or two with the FP Tune that have gone belly up, but given the volume of sales of FP compared to many others I'm going to wager their engine tuning is very well tested, especially since they offer a legitimate warranty they are on the hook for and the fact that their 60k simulated wear test showed no discernable difference in wear between the factory tune and theirs.

Pushing much further on pump gas is asking for problems based on what I've seen, you can only get so much power out of that engine reliably. Sure, you can make near GT power levels on the stock block, I think the record was what, 399 whp? That's besting a 5.0...problem I doubt that engine is still in one piece by now...You want more power on the stock block than what FP can deliver? You need to use ethanol blends like what Juben was running. The E85 cars seem almost immune to failure comparatively and that's because ethanol blends are extremely resistant to knock. That 450 page research paper on LSPI I posted a while back show a bunch of data on fuel types and their knock resistance. Ethanols were the top performers.

Still need more power? Use a built bottom end and big turbo, but for that cost why not just step up to a stock 5.0 which also has huge room to grow itself? Ford Performance offers a stage 3 power pack for the 5.0, 37 hp peak gain and 60 hp gain at 7500 RPM. The RPM range alone is a huge advantage on a track, you can run out the lower gears longer = faster times. Or you could go with their super charger kit, 670 hp on pump gas....

My FP Tuned EB was at 36,500 miles and no issues as of two days ago when I traded it in for a 2016 GT PP in Ruby Red (beautiful color, love the factory large stripe, heat extractors on the hood etc.). I ran the ecoboost hard from day one, but despite all the mods it still wasn't where I wanted it to be and to me it made more sense to set up to the 5.0 at that point as I did not believe based on the data that the stock block would reliably take any more and that's exactly what I did. 430 HP on 87 pump gas :D. If you really want, you can get those 5 hp back by using 91~93 with the 5.0...but I digress, the EB is a great car with just a tune and inter cooler at it's price point, but it does have limits. Problem is, there's a big portion of Mustang owners that want V8 power from the little 2.3 on pump gas with the stock block...just not gonna happen...at least not for more than 20k~30k before you get the eco-boom :(.

To add to this a free flowing head with great port job will do 420 HP to the wheels with e40 tune.. my tune from day one at 0 miles too 30,000.00 miles free from any manufacture defect has been reliable go to car from day one. Sure I could go to 500 whp and was tested on a mustang dyno to run on stock block and had no problem when in this form.:ford:

This is a amazing engine and fun!! mobile one full synthetic and changed every 3000.00 miles with top gas one can buy this and i was on stock turbo..

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Say it ain't so Lion... I knew you wanted to wait a few years and then put the 5.0 motor in the car. Guess you couldn't wait any longer. Sad to see you go man. You always had good input on situations.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Say it ain't so Lion... I knew you wanted to wait a few years and then put the 5.0 motor in the car. Guess you couldn't wait any longer. Sad to see you go man. You always had good input on situations.

I knew he was cracking like a nut when he started making statements like swapping coyotes like legos and "no replacement for displacement" which as a matter of fact there is, its called an induction motor far superior than any displacement motor and that's just on whats considered early versions so far lol. $110 more a month plus gas and insurance for years is a big expense no matter how you spin it, You should of just got the GT from the get-go instead of fooling yourself. Any way whatever makes you happy is what counts.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I knew he was cracking like a nut when he started making statements like swapping coyotes like legos and "no replacement for displacement" which as a matter of fact there is, its called an induction motor far superior than any displacement motor and that's just on whats considered early versions so far lol. $110 more a month plus gas and insurance for years is a big expense no matter how you spin it, You should of just got the GT from the get-go instead of fooling yourself. Any way whatever makes you happy is what counts.
Lol. Added gas cost is actually quite a bit less than most think....the combined mileage of the EB is about 25, since it was tuned I had to run 91+, most stations around here only sell 87, 89 and 93, not 91. So my fuel costs for the EB for a year is about $2,470. The GT's combined mileage is about 20, but I can run 87 for daily driving and just run a tank of 93 through it before I go to the track. So that's 2712 a year. Even running straight 93 all the time, it's $3150 a year total. So even if I ran straight 93 i'm only paying $700 a year more in gas for my dream car. My insurance went up by $4 (yes I have full coverage) from 87 to 91....yes it's more expensive overall, but I just love the GT. It's faster on 87 than my EB ever was even on it's best day with 93 with all of those mods and the GT is bone stock. Yes the GT does have some decent torque gains the midrange with 93 and another 5 hp peak, but it's got more than enough to be tons of fun on the street with 87 which is what I've been running. Especially during the winter and spring when I can't really even come close to using it's power.

And those power numbers people are quoting for the 2.3's...exotic fueling. There's no ethanol blends around here at all and I don't really feel like dicking around with mixing fuels just to drive my car even if there was (I would never have done that even with the EB and most people on this forum would agree with me)...especially when I go on trips out of state etc. It's just not practical. Also, you mix it wrong just once, you may very well go ecoboom. Heck lots of people have gone ecoboom just by filling up at a different gas station with the hotter pump gas tunes...can you do it? Sure, but it is FAR from practical if not impossible for 99% of us. The E85's guys are a sliver of the EB owners, not a majority.

The EB is a great car at it's price point, but after spending a year and half with it and seeing where it landed with what I felt it could reliably take on premium pump gas it wasn't what I wanted. It was my first turbo car. I've owned many NA V8's and V6's in sport 4 door sedans and 4x4 SUV's, but never a turbo sports car (although I've driven them before like the Mazda Speed 3).

Sure, you can get 600 whp from the 2.3...but not on 93 pump gas and not without some big coin and all but the best built bottom end. You can get well over 600 whp on a FI v8 on 91+ all day long...also I have e-check, so I need to be able to pass that as well, your not likely to pass e-echeck on a custom built motor like that, not around here and definitely not in cali if you live there....the V8 is a way to get the power and meet all my requirements. An you can beat on that NA V8...darn near forever without blowing it up. No V8's are immune to problems, but far less likely a the power levels I feel are adequate to make the car really fun to drive.

Don't forget that many of the big turbo stock block guys are seeing compression losses now after just a couple years of use...they are just pushing the stock block too far. Throwing a rod is only one failure mode, some are slower like premature piston ring wear. Make a mistake also with the stock block at those power levels and BOOM. Far less forgiving and we all know that. What happens when that 500 whp stock block car has a malfunction, even something as simple as a belt tensioner slipping like mine did? A little abnormally high heat and viola, you have a new window to see inside your motor :-). The 2.3 isn't a bad engine by any means. The EB stang is pretty darn fast for what it is and it's a great piece of technology, but it's not a GT on pump gas and not on the stock block, not for long. Just can't get around that. Having owned both now, I prefer the GT in every way but the added fuel cost and slightly heavier nose, but the smooth power and sound of that heavenly corsa more than make up for it!

I came across a good deal on a GT that made more sense to me than keeping the EB and eventually doing an engine swap, especially since I wasn't quite happy with the EB's power output. $27,750 + Tax / Title for a Ruby Red 2016 PP GT with a Corsa Cat Back already on it ($1500 exhaust), tinted windows and stripes. Only 5,500 miles on it. Kept my lightweight tire / wheel setup from the EB too (RTR Tech 7's on a relatively new set of Pilot Sport AS3+'s), so got 2 sets of tires and wheels. Also comes with 100k Ford Factory extended warranty under their "Slightly used but almost new" car program. Sticker price on that car was 36k before any of the mods previous owner did....also has optioned with rear park assist. That's it, it's a no frills drivers setup and exactly what I would have done myself had I optioned one new (just the PP and Rear Park Assist), the guy had taste, just bad luck and timing (had twins unexpectedly and traded it in for a loaded explorer).

I don't think there's many people on here that would pass that up. The GT makes more power on 87 pump gas than most of these tuned EB's on E85 mixes. You can add TONS of power to the GT as well. It's not like you can't FI a V8 or use E85 on a V8....even the FP Stage 3 power pack will give you 432 whp and a 7500 RPM redline on 91 pump gas, that's just the NA V8 with tuning and the GT350 intake manifold....

Regarding no replacement for displacement...were talking about petrol powered engines, not electric motors. As a Degreed Electrical Engineer (University of Akron) I absolutely see the massive benefit of electric motors.

Heck, even in hobby class RC cars / trucks / helicopters / plains, brushless motors and LiPo batteries smoke all the gas and nitro counterparts in performance, even the cheaper ones. Just no comparison.

Look at the new Tesla Roadster, 250 MPH top speed with a 1.9 Second 0-60...that's only a second generation electric sports car. They even got the range up to 700 miles (assuming your not on it all the time). There's no hyper car that I'm aware of that does a 1.9 second 0-60 lol.

Electric Induction motors are also FAR more reliable and durable than gas or diesel engines and far more efficient, but brushless rare earth magnet motors are even better (but very expensive). Bearings are about the only thing to wear out assuming you don't over heat the motor and burn up the windings....but I digress.

I don't regret my decision one bit. Naysayers are just jealous. A built FI V8 will always make roughly double the HP of a built FI I4 on the same fuel. There is NO replacement for displacement. Saying "there's FI" is a rather dumb statement because your using a power adder on one and not on the other. Go FI on both and run the same fuels and the potential of the larger displacement engine is reasonably close to proportional to it's cylinder count and bore size advantages over the smaller displacement engine.

So I wish all of the EB owner's the very best. With a tune and FMIC you can embarrass some much higher priced cars like the Focus RS, Subaru WRX STI or even a stock Evo which is now out of production. But, be very careful, the stock block is what it is and I personally don't think it can take much more than the FP Tune if you expect it to last more than 30k on pump gas. E85 like what Juben ran is a different story, fueling is everything!

Last edited:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
^ Now I want a V8, LOL :lol:

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
^ After all the books from [MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION]. I am so happy that I dont have a V8. Move-on [MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION] and find Fault with your V8 to share with your new found V8 world. I bought the car that I wanted and not the car someone else wanted. I would not even do an even trade for a GT350R. Its not the car for me. EB feer Life...
Sponsored