Sponsored

EB Mustang Exhaust sound Clip thread.

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Would it be worth going to a muffler shop and having them cut out the stock resonator & weld in straight pipe? Obviously not as good as an aftermarket full exhaust. But it would be inexpensive step and have to be an improvement...???

At least for me it is hard to stomach the idea of spending $1,200+ for an exhaust kit. I'm exploring options of having a damn good exhaust guy building one for me. I reached out to him today. Waiting on a response back.
Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I am waiting for someone to cut open the resonator. My guess, is that sucker is going to be restrictive. There are options available for replacing it yourself with something non-restrictive, but still quiet.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I'm personally waiting for the Roush, COBB, and Livernois exhaust systems.

I like what Roush and Cobb did on the Focus ST, and I'm intrigued as to what Livernois comes up with. I just don't know when these will come out. Thankfully it's winter, and I don't really want a system until the spring anyways.

OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I am waiting for someone to cut open the resonator. My guess, is that sucker is going to be restrictive. There are options available for replacing it yourself with something non-restrictive, but still quiet.
I will be cutting both the stock resonator and a muffler open tomorow and will start a thread with all the pics and info.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
I was just going to do a FMIC, CAI and a tune, but if I can save some serious weight in the exhaust, it might be worth it.

Not thrilled with any of them so far though. Ford Touring also sounds the best to my ears, but I definitely want to keep the drone/cabin sound to a minimum since I spend a lot of time at highway speeds.

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Do you guys think I will see better gains out of tune/intercooler combo or tune/catless turboback exhaust combo?

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Do you guys think I will see better gains out of tune/intercooler combo or tune/catless turboback exhaust combo?
I think all three.

If I had to choose 2 of 3...probably the intercooler and tune. Simply because the IATs can get so high on these cars and the result is a huge power suck.

Mike

navair133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang Eco/PP; 2003 Porsche Boxster
I have the Ford racing tour axle back mufflers. Vast improvement in muffler sound over stock and no interior drone sound or increase in cabin noise. A free flowing downpipe is my plan. But need to research. I don't think I am going to take out the resonator. Don't want to chance a substantial increase in cabin noise.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
I have the money to do all 3 but I'm trying to save a little money for a rainy day. Wouldn't the catless turboback let the turbo spin more freely and that will make more power?

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I have the money to do all 3 but I'm trying to save a little money for a rainy day. Wouldn't the catless turboback let the turbo spin more freely and that will make more power?
The turbo on this thing is so small, there is instant boost response. It is virtually lag free. I think uncorking the exhaust will be worth it in terms of power. However, if I had to choose between that and getting the IATs down, I am going with IATs.

Mike

Sponsored
OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would spool up quicker but the gains would be minimal if the IC can't keep up. I'm holding off on the DP until I get an IC for that reason.

OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know there is a way to open up this exhaust, and keep it tame for the most part. I aim to find out how.

Mike
It will have to be custom built. I'm thinking have a single 3" off the DP with a large straight through design resonator as you can fit under the car. then a really nice smooth split into 2 2.5" or 2.25" and as large a pair of mufflers you can fit. I don't see it saving any weight over stock but it would be free flowing and quiet.

On any turbo car, restrictions in the exhaust hurt power and build heat. Plus, the factory stuff weighs a ton. My #1 objective is to get rid of that watermelon sized cat and free up the downpipe...
I'm wondering though exactly how much of a restriction that watermelon is though. With that much surface area for exhaust to pass through I'm thinking its probably more free flowing than the cat back because the cat back as all the silly 90* bends and most likley small dia pipe in the resonator and mufflers. Eventually I'll cut that watermelon open too.. lol.

Resonator a restriction?? I'd say yes judging from the heat patterns on this post..

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=401924&postcount=97

OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RIP Tunig start up video with some revs

Nice! That sounds a lot like my car. I want to see how it looks. Guessing they have a resonator and 2 mufflers.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
Nice! That sounds a lot like my car. I want to see how it looks. Guessing they have a resonator and 2 mufflers.
Catless Downpipe, resonator and dual exit with dual mufflers.
Sponsored